Zack Kassian kicks Erik Cernak with his skate blade (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm a lifelong Oiler's fan. I took a lot of shit on hfboards when I pointed out what an awful signing it was 10 games ago. I can't recall being excited about suspension news for one of my Oiler's in my life. I predicted 5 but I'm thinking more now.

Reactions: SaintMorose

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
As an Oiler Fan, this is unacceptable. Kassian will get 8-10 Game for this. Really stupid for him to do this, I am sure he regrets it but this simply cant happen, especially with the injuries we have right now. This will hurt the team

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
"Your honor - I didn't stab him! I was pushing him with my knife!"
I must have missed where Cernak was stabbed. You'd think all the blood would stand out on the white ice. Regardless, what Kassian did was reckless and dangerous. It just wasn't on the level of the stomp. It was hardly a vicious "kick." As I said, it still deserves supplemental discipline. It just wasn't a vicious play like some are making it out to be. I was actually watching the game when it happened as the other game I was watching was in intermission and the announcers didn't even seem to really mention it when it happened live.

Reactions: CupofOil

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
View attachment 320611

I mean Kassian never did this and Happy didn’t get suspended. 0 games but he has to toughen up in the off season.
I beg to differ... Kassian accomplishment that feat no more than an hour ago!
A28E20F2-861E-4E03-BA2E-9E0BCFADAABE.jpeg

member 145483

This shouldn't be a suspension, it should be a ban.

Not his first offense....by a long shot.

Not an action the NHL should be letting 'slide' in any way, shape, or form. The last thing that is needed is players thinking that this is acceptable at all. Anything short of a full ban tells them it is "okay" under the correct circumstances.

Reactions: Syrinx and Eisen

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Boy.. does this guy have a screw loose or what. You can't just go around attempting to injure players everytime you feel you have been wronged. He clearly has an inability to keep his cool, and this is his second blatant attempt to hurt somebody in the past month and a half.

12 games is my number. He clearly doesn't care, and needs some help with his anger issues.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
But Kassian didn't kick him in an exposed area.
He would have had to kick him really hard to cut through the jersey and padding.

It doesn't justify what Kassian did as it was utterly moronic and deserves a lengthy suspension but people are overstating the danger it presented to Cernak.

"Danger presented" should be based on the reasonable foreseeable harm that may be caused by the action, not the actual harm. A person could shot a gun and miss someones head by 3 inches, certainly we would all agree that is a serious matter deserving a serious penalty ... even though there was zero physical harm.

If I walk through an airport with a dead rattle snake, my duty of care to others is less than if I walk through an airport with a live snake. Why? Because the reasonable foreseeable harm of a live rattle snake is much greater.

Just because he kicked him in the protected padded chest area and no actual harm occurred ... obviously it doesnt 100% excuse the act, but does it mitigate it? I dont know.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Seems like Cernak was very aware that Kassian had just kicked him square in the chest, and did react, with words.
I know Oiler fans deem it necessary for everyone Kassian loses his marbles on, to fight him, because "ThE CoDe", but why would Cernak, in his right mind, start a fight with a guy that just did one of the most dangerous things a Hockey player can ever do?

The "code" in this situation is that Cernak, if he wants to, can challenge Kassian. If Cernak, the "victim", doesnt want to, he doesnt have to. (im not sure if im reading your post right, if not apologies)

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I must have missed where Cernak was stabbed. You'd think all the blood would stand out on the white ice. Regardless, what Kassian did was reckless and dangerous. It just wasn't on the level of the stomp. It was hardly a vicious "kick." As I said, it still deserves supplemental discipline. It just wasn't a vicious play like some are making it out to be. I was actually watching the game when it happened as the other game I was watching was in intermission and the announcers didn't even seem to really mention it when it happened live.

He kicked a guy in the chest with a blade on his foot. If he hits and his foot slips up then he's in extremely dangerous territory. It's dangerous no matter the outcome.

Reactions: Neil Racki

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge

So, if you were given the choice:

A) put on a boot, made of hard plastic, and a shin pad, made of a hard plastic outer shell and dense foam inner, and let someone stomp on that area 1 time with a skate on
Or
B) put on a light foam chest protector, and have someone kick up at your chest and throat area with a skate on,

You'd choose B because it didn't look as "vicious"?

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Not sure how any Oilers fan can defend this. Was a stupid thing to do and could have been dangerous, luckily it wasn’t, but that doesn’t make it any more ok. I love Kass, and what he has been able to accomplish with his personal life, as well as turn his career around here. But he really needs to eliminate this side of his game

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The "code" in this situation is that Cernak, if he wants to, can challenge Kassian. If Cernak, the "victim", doesnt want to, he doesnt have to. (im not sure if im reading your post right, if not apologies)
Does Cernak, when fighting Kassian, get to hide a knife up his sleeve and then surprise him by using it? Seems to me that the "code" should allow that in this circumstance. Fair is fair.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
So, if you were given the choice:

A) put on a boot, made of hard plastic, and a shin pad, made of a hard plastic outer shell and dense foam inner, and let someone stomp on that area 1 time with a skate on
Or
B) put on a light foam chest protector, and have someone kick up at your chest and throat area with a skate on,

You'd choose B because it didn't look as "vicious"?

You think hockey chest protectors are "light foam"? They're made of plastic and some have bloody kevlar in them. These guys aren't rocking the old Cooper pads.

This is the issue with this whole thread. You've got Calgary fans pretending they have some sort of leg to stand on when it comes to dirty plays and others claiming he tried to kill the guy.

He's getting a big suspension that he rightfully deserves, but just like anything in life, when you blow it out of proportion, your arguments get lost in hyperbole.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Reactions: Another AZ

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad