Zack Kassian kicks Erik Cernak with his skate blade (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
You realize every city in the civilized Western world takes mitigating factors like that into play, right?

If you drive drunk and get in an accident where someone is in critical condition afterwards, that's wrong, and you did a ****ty negligent thing and your actions probably make you a ****ty person. No one or thing can make that action not ****ty or wrong.

That being said, there isn't a court in the world where said ****ty person isn't getting a lesser sentence if the victim is ultimately ok versus if the victim ultimately passes away. Or if said negligent piece of **** was driving drunk because they just got dumped and then recieved word their brother was seriously injured in mid post breakup sorrows drowning vs if they were just too lazy / cheap to plan a designated driver or a cab / Uber.

Similarly, nothing can make a kick with a skate not wrong. But when a guy is trying to leave an extended confrontation away from the play to go make a hockey play because his team is currently paying short handed because of said melee, that's a mitigating factor. As is your kick not doing any damage or having any real force behind it.
So basically under the right circumstances it’s ok to kick someone with your skate?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Stop what? I think people would benefit from seeing the full play.

I personally think it is suspension worthy, but there are elements not shown in the truncated clip that are relevant in determining the degree of punishment... for example there is zero reaction from Cernik... not even a slash when he gets up. Either Cernik is a saint, or he didn't perceive it as dangerous as many here did (including me by the way).

"Just stop"... Maybe you should consider that perhaps you are being quick to judge. You'd already assumed my position (incorrectly) before I volunteered it and before you asked.

Is your position that people should NOT see the full play in question? That seems odd.

The fact that Cernak didn't feel it or react takes absolutely nothing away from how stupid and reckless it was. Kicking at someone while you're wearing a skate is a really dangerous thing to do and no one needs any further context to have that opinion.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
A completely reasonable take in my opinion. Thanks for watching the full context.

The only thing that might save him from a lengthy suspension is that there was not an injury. Having said that, throw the book at him for this.
The NHL needs to get serious about protecting its players. Chara just got a 5000$ fine for a play that IMO is just as bad(a little worse because he made the contact), he could have killed Galghar with the placement of that check.

And to all the Oiler fans(and I am a big one) that wants to try to defend this by Kassian, we knew what we were getting when we traded for this guy, he has a good side and a bad.....this is the bad side.
And from a hockey standpoint(not to make light of player safety) the Oilers have some key injuries to our forward group, last thing we need is stupid suspensions.

I liked the suspension he got from the Tkachuk incident, it had a purpose, this one coming up? Stupid.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Stop what? I think people would benefit from seeing the full play.

I personally think it is suspension worthy, but there are elements not shown in the truncated clip that are relevant in determining the degree of punishment... for example there is zero reaction from Cernik... not even a slash when he gets up. Either Cernik is a saint, or he didn't perceive it as dangerous as many here did (including me by the way).

"Just stop"... Maybe you should consider that perhaps you are being quick to judge. You'd already assumed my position (incorrectly) before I volunteered it and before you asked.

Is your position that people should NOT see the full play in question? That seems odd.

Dude your sinking faster than the titanic.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
The fact that Cernak didn't feel it or react takes absolutely nothing away from how stupid and reckless it was. Kicking at someone while you're wearing a skate is a really dangerous thing to do and no one needs any further context to have that opinion.

The only thing I will say(and it does in no way shape or form make it ok to kick at another player so I am not defending THAT action whatsoever) is that Tampa Bay has found a loop hole in the rule book somehow in which they lay down on another player, they did it the other night to Malkin in the Pittsburg game. Just an observation though, not a defense.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What exactly does the full play add to it? It doesn't justify what Kassian did in any way.

Cernik doesn't react to the kick in any way, not even a slash once they are both up and still close to each other. I've read someone say there was no contact. I don't personally believe that... but I wouldn't be able to have an opinion one way or another unless I saw the full play.

Obviously the NHL will look at the full play and interview the players, including Cernik. One would have expected some sort of reaction from him if he'd been kicked & perceived it to be dangerous. That's the part I'd want to get to the bottom of... the difference between a game or two for careless stupidity & irresponsibility vs 20+ for deliberate aggression may lie there... the video would help formulate the questions and of course the interpretation of the answers...

... I mean, that much should be obvious.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
How is that even remotely comparable? Pronger could have just not stomped on a guy who was down.

Kassian had been sit on for 15s with Archibald underneath him and the puck at the Oilers half boards.

And Kassian could have just not kicked him with his skate

Reactions: Fudge

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To be honest I'd watch both teams' previous five games as well before forming my opinion.
I kind of want to know if they played against each other in Juniors or something that may have really set this off.

Might this be a Hatfields v. McCoys situation? Like let's really drill down and get to the bottom of this. Leave no stone unturned.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
This will be his punishment as soon as he walks into Parros office!
AB75568A-6B83-4AD3-A9F1-5C82547A7CE9.gif

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The only thing I will say(and it does in no way shape or form make it ok to kick at another player so I am not defending THAT action whatsoever) is that Tampa Bay has found a loop hole in the rule book somehow in which they lay down on another player, they did it the other night to Malkin in the Pittsburg game. Just an observation though, not a defense.

It's a very common occurence in a hockey game to have two players go down tangled up like this and more often than not, the player with more leverage is going to take his time letting the other one up. Like you said it definitely doesn't justify kicking at him, no ones ever been pinned down long enough to suffocate during a hockey game to my knowledge. But there have been life threatening injuries caused by skates.

The ironic part is that it appears to me that Kassian was the one more at fault for the two of them ending up down on the ice in the first place.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That's sad.

They have a precedence for this though at the big league office for as sad as that is. Some players get special treatement for their punishment(case in point Chara). Does Kassian deserve punishment? Absolutly he does, I just wish the NHL was consistant with fines,suspensions ect, you get bigger fines for commenting about officiating then you do trying to crush a man's larnyx.

Here is how I would break it down so there is no question:

- hitting from behind - 3 games first incident , 10 games for second one if in the same season, season over for a third one

- Stick infractions like the cross check - 10 games for intent to injure, second one in a season - season over

- Kicking with a skate - 10 games if there is not much contact, second one season over

The league does play favorites though, and that has to stop.

Reactions: klabob

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Many players just lay there on top of others until it's convenient for them to get up. They should be called for interference.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It's a very common occurence in a hockey game to have two players go down tangled up like this and more often than not, the player with more leverage is going to take his time letting the other one up. Like you said it definitely doesn't justify kicking at him, no ones ever been pinned down long enough to suffocate during a hockey game to my knowledge. But there have been life threatening injuries caused by skates.

The ironic part is that it appears to me that Kassian was the one more at fault for the two of them ending up down on the ice in the first place.

It was just an obervation, and Archibald is the one that knocked everyone over, he slipped undernieth Kassian and tripped them both.
Tampa did it the other night to Malkin and the play(which technically is interference)led to a two on one and a goal. I know every team does that, I just find it interesting how players take advantage of that particular rule is all.

Again not defending the kick, not at all.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Cernik doesn't react to the kick in any way, not even a slash once they are both up and still close to each other. I've read someone say there was no contact. I don't personally believe that... but I wouldn't be able to have an opinion one way or another unless I saw the full play.

Obviously the NHL will look at the full play and interview the players, including Cernik. One would have expected some sort of reaction from him if he'd been kicked & perceived it to be dangerous. That's the part I'd want to get to the bottom of... the difference between a game or two for careless stupidity & irresponsibility vs 20+ for deliberate aggression may lie there... the video would help formulate the questions and of course the interpretation of the answers...

... I mean, that much should be obvious.

Both ayers have stated Kassian kicked him. The video shows a kicking motion and Cernaks body moving backwards after being kicked.

This is pretty cut and dry.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's funny David Staples wanted to hear "testimony" from Kassian before passing judgement about whether it was a kick.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Many players just lay there on top of others until it's convenient for them to get up. They should be called for interference.

For sure they should be, and I am not signalling out Tampa for this either, every team does it, it just happens that I noticed it with them two games in a row.
The Oilers do it too, I am sure I caught Gagner do it in the BOA two or three times.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For anyone calling it soft, go back and watch the replays where people have been cut by a skate blade. Often the skate barely touches them. Hell, think back to the last time you cut yourself cooking, all it takes is a tiny slip. You don't kick people with sharp blades on your feet. Doesn't matter if it was a flying dropkick or a gentle nudge.

And for people calling for 20+ games or the season, let's be realistic. He's getting <10 and the only reason it's even that high is because of his history. My bet would be on 6.

But Kassian didn't kick him in an exposed area.
He would have had to kick him really hard to cut through the jersey and padding.

It doesn't justify what Kassian did as it was utterly moronic and deserves a lengthy suspension but people are overstating the danger it presented to Cernak.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I completely agree with this and have said nothing to the contrary.

but the next step is to determine the punishment, where the context of the play would certainly factor in. Unless you take a view that any [act X] carries an automatic suspension of [duration Y]. That's not the NHL's current policy anything though... thus it's important to discuss the context which is not available in the shaky iPhone video in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad