Friedman: Zack Kassian given permission to seek trade

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If it's gotten to the point that the player has been given permission to seek a trade (vs the GM shopping him), I highly doubt that he's going to fetch a 3rd. Realistically it will be future considerations or someone with salary coming back.

Same situation as Yakupov - ‘you want to get traded? You go find it’. I said earlier I think it’s chia’s move when he doesn’t really want to move a guy.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
If it's gotten to the point that the player has been given permission to seek a trade (vs the GM shopping him), I highly doubt that he's going to fetch a 3rd. Realistically it will be future considerations or someone with salary coming back.
Guessing it is a courtesy to allow the player to have control over his destination vs being offered to the whole league via waivers? I'm not expecting the team will get an asset in return.

It's too bad it worked out this way as he has the physical ability to be a useful player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Any interest in David Backes from EDM in a Kassian deal?

EDM would have to add though.

Nope. Contract sucks. And he seems to be getting embarrassed a lot more as he ages. I mean Benning walloped him.... and we think lowly of Benning.

Reactions: 780il

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I tend to agree. However, there seems to be more than just 1 that posts like this, so you can't just say it's 1 lol. Same can be said about Oilers fans too unfortunately.

edit ** originally had a snarky comment.
No need.
Both franchises for a majority of the last 15 years have been a joke and if we had relegation they would be a tier down or two.
At this point, im just happy to be competent again. Hope the Oilers get things back to respectability soon as they got some real talented folks. Still wish they had signed Grabner to play on McD's wing.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Namestnikov or Spooner for Kassian?

My initial reaction is hell yes, but i'm really unsure if either guys situation. Namestnikov has terrible numbers as a ranger, spooner has bad numbers this year. Have they both been so bad they're only worth Kassian?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
My initial reaction is hell yes, but i'm really unsure if either guys situation. Namestnikov has terrible numbers as a ranger, spooner has bad numbers this year. Have they both been so bad they're only worth Kassian?

I am not really sure how much is Kassian's trade value. What would you say he is worth in terms of draft picks?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Zack Kassian is terrible and you are willing to pay a 3rd or 4th for him? Edmonton would have to pay us before we should even consider him. Get over this toughness thing, Kassian makes our team worse and will likely end up on waivers before he gets dealt for anything of value.
Thank you for being a voice of reason. :thumbu:
Nobody that watches Kassian play would be in favor of taking on that contract. @Spawn gave an accurate unbiased assessment in post #5 and i appreciate posters who can do that with the home boys. I wish there were a lot more of them here.
Serious cap issues start soon and are challenging enough without committing another 2 million to Kassian.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Dirty hits with the intent to injure are a reason to keep him? Because that is what prompts those reactions.

I know Kass's history... But that really hasn't been apart of his game since he joined the Oilers. He hits hard, he fights, but intent to injure is out of his game.

Last edited by a moderator:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester (Bo would have to waive) for Kassian? Perhaps with a small add from the Oilers?
The Oilers can't afford to add salary, but I think St Louis is a destination that does make a lot of sense. I thought Schmaltz and Jaskin for Kassian and a small add made a lot of sense in training camp but the Blues don't really have a similar contract to send back the other way now.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So what does it mean? Is Chiarelli that last that he can't find a trade partner himself? Why is this permission being given to Kassian.

It's pretty common in the NHL and other sports. His team has no reason to do the leg work but if a player's agent can find a better situation for his client then it will probably get done. The fact that this is regarding a 4th liner means there probably won't be much of a hold up from his team when it comes to price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad