Friedman: Zack Kassian given permission to seek trade

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Has Kassian been bad or is it just a case of depth and the Oilers having too many bottom 6 forwards?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Conditional 7th (has to play more than 10 playoff games). He is garbage, a player that isn’t worth playing on Edmonton, isn’t going to be anything with any other team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
hes been off to start this season. ive noticed a lot of violent outbursts. I suspect his personal life is having issues again

I think it’s the opposite actually. He just got married this summer and his wife is pregnant. His personal life has never been better - hence why my opinion is he has gotten overly comfortable.

Should never have gotten the third year on his deal.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
hes been off to start this season. ive noticed a lot of violent outbursts. I suspect his personal life is having issues again

Is that your first suspicion for every player that’s frustrated? Because suggesting that about a guy who turned his life around as drastically as Kassian without anything to substantiate it isnt kosher.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Conditional 7th (has to play more than 10 playoff games). He is garbage, a player that isn’t worth playing on Edmonton, isn’t going to be anything with any other team.

You know we’re 5-3-1, 5-1-1 in our last 7, and have beaten Winnipeg, Nashville, Boston and Washington, right?

No, I’m sure you don’t. We play when you get sleepy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
f*** no. Really? Kassian has a bad stretch and we're cutting him loose. Please don't do this Chia, were going to regret this.

Reactions: ujju2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
**** no. Really? Kassian has a bad stretch and we're cutting him loose. Please don't do this Chia, were going to regret this.

We have his skill set well represented and he’s pretty expensive for what he brings. I think there are teams out there that will give up a decent return for him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have his skill set well represented and he’s pretty expensive for what he brings. I think there are teams out there that will give up a decent return for him.

We haven't even faced any divisional rivals yet. Don't tell me Lucic can handle the load alone. We need a bit of crazy in our lineup, we got too many players that need more than a nuclear deterrent.

Plus, Kassian can play that role WHILE be able to skate to today's high speed standard. It's tough to find a tough guy who can skate too. And also a tough guy that will do MORE than a routine 5 minute scripted fight.

Not a fan of this development. Keep Kass! At least give him some games to get focused again. Far too soon to cut bait on him. He's shown too much.

Reactions: ujju2

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Conveniently omitting the 100+ point season we had season before last.

You’re just mad Matthews got hurt...again... and you’re lashing out.

I forgive you. Have a great evening.

Lol we don’t need Matthews to qualify for playoffs. We still got Tavares, Marner steps up when Matthews is injured anyways, so why be mad or sad or anything? I am happy that it is the way it is, since it will help out the contract situation. I would rather not see him becoming a leading goal scorer in his contract year.

But then again it’s about how bad Edmonton is and how much worse Zach Kassian is.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Lol we don’t need Matthews to qualify for playoffs. We still got Tavares, Marner steps up when Matthews is injured anyways, so why be mad or sad or anything? I am happy that it is the way it is, since it will help out the contract situation. I would rather not see him becoming a leading goal scorer in his contract year.

But then again it’s about how bad Edmonton is and how much worse Zach Kassian is.

LOL that's short-sighted. That's like saying I don't want any players to do well. Might as well not play any hockey and just forfeit the season then since it'll be 'too expensive' to keep a team together.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

[mod] Because if Matthews is hurt he’s gonna sign for eight years at 3 million or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paralyzer

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Mentioned this one in another thread but it didn't get a response...

:edmonton
Dmitri Kulikov $4.333m x2
Nic Petan $874k

:jets
Zack Kassian $1.95m x 2
Matt Benning $1.9m x 2

Oilers add a small amount of salary this season that can be covered by Sekera's LTIR. Winnipeg splits Kulikov's cap commitment between two players who can either help with the NHL roster or be waived for additional cap relief next season.

Petan's probably looking for a new home by now as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mentioned this one in another thread but it didn't get a response...

:edmonton
Dmitri Kulikov $4.333m x2
Nic Petan $874k

:jets
Zack Kassian $1.95m x 2
Matt Benning $1.9m x 2

Oilers add a small amount of salary this season that can be covered by Sekera's LTIR. Winnipeg splits Kulikov's cap commitment between two players who can either help with the NHL roster or be waived for additional cap relief next season.

Petan's probably looking for a new home by now as well.

obviously Petan is the key to the deal for you. Kulikov has edged into the injury prone catagory

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
obviously Petan is the key to the deal for you. Kulikov has edged into the injury prone catagory
Honestly it's a deal that pretty much moves underperforming pieces between teams. Kulikov fills that bottom pair roll for us more effectively than any one of Benning, Gravel or Garrison. Petan is more suited for a scoring role, which is essentially a larger need than another bottom six option.

If Andrej Sekera's injury is of the end-of-career LTIR variety, Kulikov is a reasonably secure fall back option and a defender who can effectively play both sides of the ice.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How about just a 3rd Rd pick

If it's gotten to the point that the player has been given permission to seek a trade (vs the GM shopping him), I highly doubt that he's going to fetch a 3rd. Realistically it will be future considerations or someone with salary coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad