Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
1. So small defensemen can't make it to the NHL? How about Fox? Or DeAngelo, Morrissey, McAvoy, Spurgeon, Niskanen, Ellis, Barrie, Letang, Pionk, Krug, Makar, Hughes? All of them small D-men.

2. You don't know if Jones, Robertson or Miller will make it in the NHL. All 3 are question marks until they do. Every prospect is. You could easily say that Miller is the least likely to successfully complete that transition.

The Bruins have been the most consistent team the last decade, and they have done it with small defensemen. This notion that small defensemen can't be effecti e int he play offs is bullshit. It's about so much more than size. This is no different than the people saying "uhhh, we need to draft more North Americans because Euros are soft". The Rangers have big rugged guys on the blue line in Trouba and Lindgren. Adding a lanky Robertson to that mix is great. But you can't have 6 of those. You need a mixed bag of skills on your team, both on offense and defense.

Had you been replying to a serious post(er) this is a solid reply.

Duncan Keith is no giant and the Blackhwaks won the 2015 Stanley Cup largely because he had the best playoffs in recent memory for a single defenseman. You don't need giants to win, you need skilled players and players that can avoid beatings.

Edit: Keith is listed as 6'1". He's bigger than I thought. Oh well. Still I still don't think you need giants on the backend to win.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember Rosie catching a ton of shit for not being more physical. He was like 6'1" 215. Tom Poti, he was a good player despite the hate he received. He was like 6'3" or 6'4". He wasn't physical, though. Size is only important to a degree. Lack of size can be offset by a guy's mentality, like with Lindgren who many have mentioned.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
hey now Rantanen was a 10th overall. Much better pick than some guys we've taken in the top 10...
Rantanen went tenth because of how strong that draft was. Look who went in front of him.

The Devils taking Zacha in that first round is their Jesssiman/McIlrath moment.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Rantanen went tenth because of how strong that draft was. Look who went in front of him.

well not quite because Zacha is a useful NHLer, but yes they did beef it. And goes to show you that you can never pencil in your top 10 pick to be a surefire stud, not even in a "Generational" draft.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Well no, but Zacha sucks.

Devils have done a shit job of drafting/developing talent. They've basically been a really bad team for 8 years and our FO did more good things in an offseason than they have since 2012.

I hate that Shero is no longer there though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
i just looked at his wiki page and his "records" are amusing.

Records
Coach
Single-season win record at UMass (31)
Single-season Loss record at UMass (29)

lol

Yeah both SLU and UMass had gone to shit by 2016, Carvel moved over and he's been able to make leaps and bounds with the program.

Meanwhile SLU is barely playing at Atlantic division level and having difficulty getting any talented commitments. We've always been short on drafted NHL talent but now it's even getting more difficult to find competent 'overage' players who come in at 20-21 years old as Freshmen.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This kid is going to end up being a solid NHL player, I’m just not convinced it’s here

Obviously it’s tough to predict but I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he’s part of a package to acquire a bigger roster piece in the near future

Reactions: Thirty One

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This kid is going to end up being a solid NHL player, I’m just not convinced it’s here

Obviously it’s tough to predict but I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he’s part of a package to acquire a bigger roster piece in the near future
In the near future? I don't think so, we still don't know how our prospects will turn out so he is not yet expandable. If some of our players like Miller, Lundvist, etc turn out to be legit NHLers then yes he likely will be moved.

Who knows, we might have found another player like Fox...i'm not trading him any time soon.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Rangers are better at drafting than the Avalanche. It shouldn't even be up for debate. Yet everyone is praising Sakic for picking good players in the top-5 of the draft :laugh:
He’s also acquired great picks and players he had to move out, so there’s that. He got Graves, an nhl d man for nothing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He’s also acquired great picks and players he had to move out, so there’s that. He got Graves, an nhl d man for nothing.
If Ryan Graves is near the top of your resumé I’m not sure it’s too convincing. The Duchene trade was great. And Rantanen was a good pick. And personally I think a GMs credo needs to be avoiding mistakes more than anything else. And he does that. But I also think the guy gets overrated. Born on third base, so to speak.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
If Ryan Graves is near the top of your resumé I’m not sure it’s too convincing. The Duchene trade was great. And Rantanen was a good pick. And personally I think a GMs credo needs to be avoiding mistakes more than anything else. And he does that. But I also think the guy gets overrated. Born on third base, so to speak.
You can't make any high profile mistakes if you are avoiding any high profile trades at all cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad