Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I know you've historically been critical of Savard – which I get, as he's had merely an ok career prior to this year – but if you don't think he's playing top pair quality this season you're out to lunch.

Although this is a Werenski thread.... Savard is still not great exiting the zone and if you watch him with his outlet passes they are less then ideal on many occasions. I think he's playing at a high level this year but I don't see him as a top pair guy on anything but a below average team. He's playing like a plus 2nd pair guy in a shutdown role. That's a great thing but I just don't see the top pair discussion.

As for Werenski, he still needs work in the D-zone but he's a top pair, expected #1 guy. I still lean towards Jones as our overall best D-man and a bonafide #1 this year. This top pair is going to be amazing for a long time. I'll add Murray to the mix too. I think he's playing in a tough spot this year but is a top 3 type player if put there. Maybe as soon a next year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Although this is a Werenski thread.... Savard is still not great exiting the zone and if you watch him with his outlet passes they are less then ideal on many occasions. I think he's playing at a high level this year but I don't see him as a top pair guy on anything but a below average team. He's playing like a plus 2nd pair guy in a shutdown role. That's a great thing but I just don't see the top pair discussion.

As for Werenski, he still needs work in the D-zone but he's a top pair, expected #1 guy. I still lean towards Jones as our overall best D-man and a bonafide #1 this year. This top pair is going to be amazing for a long time. I'll add Murray to the mix too. I think he's playing in a tough spot this year but is a top 3 type player if put there. Maybe as soon a next year.

I noted that as well, Savard would certainly be a lot better if he was a good outlet passer. But a lot better than what? Outlet passing is one of the biggest factors for possession and Savard has excellent possession stats. That tells me he's dominating in other aspects - great pinching, shutting down plays defensively, etc... And if he was a good outlet passer on top of that, we wouldn't be talking "is he top pair quality", we'd be talking "is he #1D quality".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh goody, I see a quote talking about corsi... After all that is all that matters. corsi, to me, is like a somewhat more useful +/-. It's now the holy grail. I saw a article on TSN that tried to illustrate CORSI being relevant somehow to playoff teams and winning a Cup. It was all over the place. Some pretty good teams have had some rather poor corsi stats.

Shot +/- isn't the end all be all of how good you are as a player or as a team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Matthews is going to win it because Toronto (and he's a beast obviously), but I think Werenski could easily get 2nd.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Matthews is going to win it because Toronto (and he's a beast obviously), but I think Werenski could easily get 2nd.

I disagree. Werenski will finish 4th.

It's not because he doesn't deserve it, because he does. Its because of (as you noted) the slobberfest known as Canada, especially the TML.

My Daily Double - Matthews/Laine;
My Quinella - Matthews/Laine;
My Trifecta - Matthews/Laine/Marner - and I box it.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I disagree. Werenski will finish 4th.

It's not because he doesn't deserve it, because he does. Its because of (as you noted) the slobberfest known as Canada, especially the TML.

My Daily Double - Matthews/Laine;
My Quinella - Matthews/Laine;
My Trifecta - Matthews/Laine/Marner - and I box it.

Eh, I think even the voters will recognize that Werenski's season warrants placing in the top 3. It would look too fishy to have 3 Canadian team rookies in the top 3 when 2-4 were spots up for grabs.

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Werenski
4. Marner

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There is a case to be made for him to win it; even with the other guys listed. He won't, but his season has been that good.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The Senators asked Colin White to do the Werenski approach from last season, sign an ATO and play games for the minor league club, then sign an ELC. White declined, as he wants to sign his ELC now to burn off a year of it. Ottawa rightfully doesn't want to do this, so a stalemate has happened.

Just looking at that situation makes me so damn happy to have Werenski and how he handled his situation last season. He could have easily done the same thing last year to us, and get paid quicker and have his deal expire to get paid again quicker. What a true pro.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Senators asked Colin White to do the Werenski approach from last season, sign an ATO and play games for the minor league club, then sign an ELC. White declined, as he wants to sign his ELC now to burn off a year of it. Ottawa rightfully doesn't want to do this, so a stalemate has happened.

Just looking at that situation makes me so damn happy to have Werenski and how he handled his situation last season. He could have easily done the same thing last year to us, and get paid quicker and have his deal expire to get paid again quicker. What a true pro.

I'm grateful it worked out for our franchise but I think on the collective level it's sketchy to insist players play pro games without a contract as some sort of common courtesy.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I believe that Werenski was confident enough in his abilities that he JUST KNEW it didn't matter about a couple months. He knows there is a huge pot of money just a couple years down the road.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You think it's possible this helped him make the big team quicker in showing the FO that he's willing to work with them?

I'm sure playing in the AHL was a fantastic bridge for Zach. He would have made the Jackets last fall either way.

My point is that it's a bad thing collectively. I'd never advise a student to not take an unpaid internship because of it, but collectively all the kids are hurting each other by working for free. It's certainly not unprofessional if a young person refuses unpaid work.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And of course what happens if the kid is injured and he isn't under contract? Dunno but I'm guessing a lot of aggravation and a lot less money than if he was under contract.

In this day and age I've done a complete 180 and am in complete agreement with those who don't want to play for nothing or a swag bag like the college kids who skipped bowl games. The payday's are just too big to jeopardize imo.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

This does not sound "day to day" to me, I think he's done this year. These quotes sound like they don't count on him returning anytime Soon.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Of course, if this bears out, you'll seem prescient, but I don't know as having a plan for what if means that what if is for sure.

I know it was a month away from the playoffs, and not a week like it currently is, but Torts talked about "when" they'd have Bjorkstrand back for the playoffs, not if, that alone scares me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm surprised they're even debating splitting up JJ - Savard. They're already getting arguably a tougher job than Jones is - similar minutes with more d-zone starts. And Quincey has been excellent and it seems like he'd be great with Jones. Quincey-Jones - oh god, here come the headlines. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad