Zach Werenski - Update: Signs 3-yr ELC (p. 15)

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Awesome pick by the Columbus Blue Jackets and am so stoked! Now what does Jarmo do?? It seems to figure that Jarmo also likes the CHL, but may also like the NCAA. Does Jarmo tell him to go to the London Knights?? Some prospects that have played in the CHL include:

Kerby Rychel
Oscar Dansk
Josh Anderson
Sonny Milano
Oliver Bjorkstand

What does Jarmo prefer?? CHL or NCAA?? Would love him to join the London Knights in the fall!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think Jarmo minds either way. Whatever Zach wants, Jarmo is cool with.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think he leans on him to go to the Knights, very similar to Milano who was committed to BC and then outta no where decided to go play on a terrible Whalers team. Especially after the whole he-who-shall-not-be-named incident.

Also if he goes to London he'll be playing with some top caliber NHL prospects

Mitch Marner
Christian Dvorak
Matthew Tkachuk
Max Jones
Victor Mete

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think that had more to do with Milano being a forward and getting him to the AHL quicker.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here's my shift by shift video on Werenski. Sorry the commentary's bad, still trying to learn :)

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
While I'm not an overly huge fan, a lot of people on the Mains seem to think his potential is something in between Drew Doughty and Keith Yandle with a little better defense.

If he does become that, then it's an ultra successful pick.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Man was that a rough game away from the puck for Werenski. Is that normal for him?

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
Academically... of course. But ncaa has weird rules with sports. I imagine there is a line somewhere. You can't have some 12 year old prodigy playing contact sports against grown ass men. I would think there would be some sort of lawsuit if one got hurt. 16 just seems young to me to play college sports.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Academically... of course. But ncaa has weird rules with sports. I imagine there is a line somewhere. You can't have some 12 year old prodigy playing contact sports against grown ass men. I would think there would be some sort of lawsuit if one got hurt. 16 just seems young to me to play college sports.

I think if a 12 year old graduates high school to go to college, its not because of an OSU football scholarship, its because he's going to study neuroscience and makes Sheldon Cooper look like a moron.

I don't think 1 year is that big of a deal. I'm a little more surprised that he was eligible to be drafted at 17. I thought they had to be 18. His birthday is in July so that probably has something to do with it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think if a 12 year old graduates high school to go to college, its not because of an OSU football scholarship, its because he's going to study neuroscience and makes Sheldon Cooper look like a moron.

I don't think 1 year is that big of a deal. I'm a little more surprised that he was eligible to be drafted at 17. I thought they had to be 18. His birthday is in July so that probably has something to do with it.

Yep. I think Sept 15th is the cutoff . Might makes for some interesting delivery room conversations around 11:58 on 9/15 - "Hold on, he'll be better prepared for the draft" :hockey: :laugh:

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH

Obviously the 12 year old thing was hyperbole to make a point that there has to be a line somewhere. 15? 16? I don't know where it is but if he played last year at UM was he 16 or did he just turn 17? 16 just seems young to play college hockey to me. That's all I was trying to say.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Obviously the 12 year old thing was hyperbole to make a point that there has to be a line somewhere. 15? 16? I don't know where it is but if he played last year at UM was he 16 or did he just turn 17? 16 just seems young to play college hockey to me. That's all I was trying to say.

Since you know is birthday is in July and he will turn 18 in July what do you think? Back to 8th grade- think word problems. :laugh:

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
With Zach being so young, how does that affect his AHL possibilities? He can't sign with CBJ, unless he wants to go to London. It seems like he can either play for CBJ (unlikely), or stay in college another two years?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
With Zach being so young, how does that affect his AHL possibilities? He can't sign with CBJ, unless he wants to go to London. It seems like he can either play for CBJ (unlikely), or stay in college another two years?

As far as I know because he was drafted out of NCAA and not Canadian juniors he can play in the AHL anytime. I forget this all the time and others here remind me.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
As far as I know because he was drafted out of NCAA and not Canadian juniors he can play in the AHL anytime. I forget this all the time and others here remind me.

I guess it would have something to do with sacrificing your amateur status?

He can't go back to school if he and the team agree he is ready for the AHL, but can he go to whichever team holds his junior rights? Or does that become forfeited if he suits up in the minors?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->