Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - II - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, he has the speed and the release but the fact that he's started the year pointless in 6 games is getting worrisome at this point. And speaking "failures," I think Sweeney ****ed up by not signing Cedric Pare - yes he's playing with future #1 pick in the upcoming draft, but I'm surprised he gave up on the 20 year so quickly (and still not giving up on Senyshyn)

Senyshyn is a RW. The B’s have a scarcity at the position.

Pare is a LW. The B’s are stacked at the position and he waited to start scoring until he was an over-ager in the Q.

Not surprised in the slightest that Pare is gone, but Senyshyn remains.

Reactions: BBB24

BruinsNetwork

So much talk about points and production, yet almost no talk about how Senyshyn is just playing well right now in Providence. The AHL is mainly for development and that’s exactly how the Bruins are optimizing Providence. Points aren’t the only thing we should be focusing on. Just like Kuhlman in Boston right now— if you take the points and lack thereof out of it, you’ll see someone who’s just playing well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So much talk about points and production, yet almost no talk about how Senyshyn is just playing well right now in Providence. The AHL is mainly for development and that’s exactly how the Bruins are optimizing Providence. Points aren’t the only thing we should be focusing on. Just like Kuhlman in Boston right now— if you take the points and lack thereof out of it, you’ll see someone who’s just playing well.

But you realize that he needs to a PPG player in Providence before he proves he's ready for a call-up. Till he does that, he is a bust! :sarcasm:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
But you realize that he needs to a PPG player in Providence before he proves he's ready for a call-up. Till he does that, he is a bust! :sarcasm:
That’s a touch disingenuous. Is it too much to expect a one-time high-end prospect to establish himself as a leader on our farm team by his 3rd season?

Is it too much to expect a scorer (when drafted) to continue to put the puck in the net while rounding out his game? I’m pretty sure no coach in hockey has ever told a player to focus on X to the exclusion of Y.

Has he really been re-invented as an energy 4th liner? Is that what we need?...seems we’re full-up of those at the moment.

If his skillset is truly higher than his statistics have shown, wouldn’t he have earned time on a better line? Especially, now when he is no longer the “rookie” on the team? The guy will be considered an AHL veteran by the end of this year.

4th liners in the NHL routinely outperform the average AHLer when they go down to that league. So if he can’t perform there, what are we debating?

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

Playing well. Boston seems to have a whole team full of guys playing well, but only one line putting up any points. You’re comfortable with this? Nobody else seems to be.

This sound like the Sales Manager that tells the CEO the team is “knocking on doors” when he asks for a performance report:
“Yeah, yeah...but are they gonna’ sell anything?”
“Well, geeze, Ed...they’re out there, ya’ know.”
“Uh-huh...is there a problem with the product?”
“No, the product is good. My guys are poundin’ the pavemen....”
“Yeah, but only 3 of twelve have #%*% to show for it!!!!”

Back to Senyshyn....describe “playing well”, because in addition to having zero points, at last glance he was also a -3. What exactly is this kid doing that is of value. I have to say, in the few games I have watched him on TV and the two games I have seen him live, he shows nothing. Absolutely unnoticeable.

member 96824

Let’s start with a point per season first.

Is this where I add the :sarcasm: thing?

Reactions: Dr Hook

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

I like your style of reporting, being positive, looking at the bright side, concentrating on the positives.

You're trying real hard to defend Senyshyn's lack/slow progress in his development. It's disappointing that you refuse to see what the reality of the situation is.

Blaming Senyshyn's line mates, coaching staff in lieu of his own short comings. We're not only talking about his lack of points and production. We're talking about what makes a 2 way player on his 3rd year of development. There's have to be a bigger progression on his development besides the "playing well".

Thinking Senyshyn's is NHL ready when he can't even secure a regular top 6 spot on the wanna B's... or, having the trust of the coaches, development coordinators and management to play on must win situations.

Hopefully Senyshyn can show a lot more progress in his development on his last year contract.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
But you realize that he's not going to be the best scorer of the bottom 6, either. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just don't see the point of being super down on the kid (and I stress kid here) when no one really knows what will happen. What is as disingenuous to me as being perhaps overly positive is being so overly sure that Senyshyn is a bust. If he turns out to be Brett Ritchie-esque at 25/26 then fair enough. He has some time yet.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I just don't see the point of being super down on the kid (and I stress kid here) when no one really knows what will happen. What is as disingenuous to me as being perhaps overly positive is being so overly sure that Senyshyn is a bust. If he turns out to be Brett Ritchie-esque at 25/26 then fair enough. He has some time yet.
It's not about being overly positive, nor declaring him a bust.
How about just realizing he won't be what was hyped..
And accepting the possibility of simply a bottom 6 at best.
Without blaming everyone but him for the results or lack of results.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's not about being overly positive, nor declaring him a bust.
How about just realizing he won't be what was hyped..
And accepting the possibility of simply a bottom 6 at best.
Without blaming everyone but him for the results or lack of results.

I don't know what he will be and neither do you so I am not sure why there is any need to cast blame about anything. If Bruins Network thinks he is playing well, then that is his opinion. I like the positivity. I haven't watched Senyshyn enough to know one way or the other and am not going to base my opinions on his AHL stat line. He wasn't a world beater in his callup last season, but he didn't look like a fish out of water, either. This kid has been a running sore for a lot of people here, though. If he turns out to be an actual bust (as opposed to someone who doesn't develop like many armchair GMs here believe he should) I won't lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: HustleB

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I mean, you're expecting this from a forum where many posters were calling DeBrusk, 'DeBust' before he played his first pro game.

For the most part few of us watch Providence games, so I'm also going to listen to what BruinsNetwork says on him, who watches plenty of games, rather than posters who are watching the stat sheet and have never seen Seny step on the ice.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
agreed and of those who are "super down" on the kid, I wonder how many have watched the kid play 1 minute in Providence?

I`ll choose to lean on the @Saxon Eric @BruinsNetwork and a few others who I absolutely know have plunked their behinds in the seats at a PB`s game then talk about it afterwards far more than I`ll rely on Joey from Screamer Alabama tell me he sucks

Reactions: Number8 and Dr Hook

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I don't know what he will be and neither do you so I am not sure why there is any need to cast blame about anything. If Bruins Network thinks he is playing well, then that is his opinion. I like the positivity. I haven't watched Senyshyn enough to know one way or the other and am not going to base my opinions on his AHL stat line. He wasn't a world beater in his callup last season, but he didn't look like a fish out of water, either. This kid has been a running sore for a lot of people here, though. If he turns out to be an actual bust (as opposed to someone who doesn't develop like many armchair GMs here believe he should) I won't lose any sleep over it.
So... tell me what is your opinion on how management is handling Senyshyn's development, including his playing time in Providence?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

What kind of role are they molding him for? Is what he is doing in Providence right now showing progress toward that role specifically?

If it's a checking role or something, I get why the lack of points isnt a good indication of his play.

If it is a scoring role, this doesnt make sense. I get the approach of drilling 2 way play development for his first year or two, but if he is to be a scorer, I'd think they would loosen the leash and let him focus more on offense at this point.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What kind of role are they molding him for? Is what he is doing in Providence right now showing progress toward that role specifically?

If it's a checking role or something, I get why the lack of points isnt a good indication of his play.

If it is a scoring role, this doesnt make sense. I get the approach of drilling 2 way play development for his first year or two, but if he is to be a scorer, I'd think they would loosen the leash and let him focus more on offense at this point.
1. Players who show scoring aptitude will force the hand of coaches and will score regardless of role. Those who don't may be groomed for a defensive role where coaches feel they could still be successful.

2. If he's being groomed to be a fourth line defensive player, I think those claiming him a bust have a legit argument.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So... tell me what is your opinion on how management is handling Senyshyn's development, including his playing time in Providence?

I don't really have one, to be honest. I don't see the kid play enough. I think it would be great if he was ripping the AHL up and banging in 35 goals and all that, but then again, Paul Carey did just that and Kenny Agostino to name a couple. I guess the brain trust has enough of my confidence at this point that I believe they know what they are doing with him. I do believe based on who he's been given as linemates that expecting him to score at a dazzling pace is not in the cards no matter how talented he is. We'll see. I am guessing that this is the year he should start to emerge and earn a second contract- where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

The only thing I would add to this is maybe not wanting to replicate the great Ryan Spooner experiment- a kid who probably did not get forced to do enough two way work and look at him now. One thing we do know is that under Cassidy (and definitely Clode before that, and probably Sweenius as the mastermind) having a one way game, unless you are an offensive wizard a la Pasta, means you aren't going to be on the ice for very long.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Playing well. Boston seems to have a whole team full of guys playing well, but only one line putting up any points. You’re comfortable with this? Nobody else seems to be.

This sound like the Sales Manager that tells the CEO the team is “knocking on doors” when he asks for a performance report:
“Yeah, yeah...but are they gonna’ sell anything?”
If you want to talk bottom line: the Bruins have 12 points in 8 games, on pace for 123. Anyone not happy with that is ... probably rooting for a rival team.

Pastrnak is not going to score 90+ goals, and Coyle is not going to stay stuck at 0.

If Senyshyn is truly playing well, as reported, the results will come.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I still have faith in Senyshyn. Next to legit NHL talent, I thought he played two very solid games last year.

Like 99 percent of this board, I don't have connections or ties within the scouting and coaching staff of the P-Bruins, so I don't know why he isn't getting more time next to better talent down there. All I know is from what I saw during his brief stint last year next to Coyle, I saw a kid who had NHL chops. And maybe that's what he needs, a guy on his line who can drive it while Senyshyn keeps it simple by staying with his strengths.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you want to talk bottom line: the Bruins have 12 points in 8 games, on pace for 123. Anyone not happy with that is ... probably rooting for a rival team.

Pastrnak is not going to score 90+ goals, and Coyle is not going to stay stuck at 0.

If Senyshyn is truly playing well, as reported, the results will come.
But that’s so reasonable and much less fun than saying a player is a bust, or so and so sucks, or using words like “bad asset management”.:naughty:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
senyshyn can skate, and if anything the bruins need to beat toronto, tampa, & montreal once april comes around is
players who can skate. If they can skate with these teams they will beat them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is Senyshyn was targeted for the Ritchie spot/audition by Sweeney but someone pushed for Ritchie after the Cup garbage and seeing him available

very odd all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad