Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - II - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Neither did Josh Anderson. Neither did Michael Ferland. Guess what they have in common with Seny? Big bodies who can skate. Put him with the right guy and he could have a shot.

Do you feel those are comparable players to Zach Senyshyn?

Furthermore, Ferland. improved every year in the W, going from 28 pts, to 56 pts, to 96 pts. Ferland had 18 points in 25 games his first year in the A while playing his banging style and the next year he was playing NHL minutes..

Anderson’s numbers improved but yeah didn’t light the world on fire...still had 18 goals and 39 pts in 58 games his final year while also bringing something unique to the club with his style of play. A jump from 17 points, 7 goals the year before

But we both know those guys aren’t on the ice to produce points. They can and it’s a great added bonus, but they’re there to bang bodies.

So...can you confidently say Zach Senyshyn brings something unique to the club like those two do that would make the franchise disregard the lack of results and growth?

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Neither did Josh Anderson. Neither did Michael Ferland. Guess what they have in common with Seny? Big bodies who can skate. Put him with the right guy and he could have a shot.
Even a cursory glance at the statistics prove you are wrong. Why are you lying? Or maybe it is just about trying to see what you want rather than what is really there, nothing

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

member 96824

Andreas Athanasiou is still out there, IMO he’s a pretty good comparison as a prospect and a bit of a cautionary tale in terms of development.

Nope.

AA:
OHL years: 22-37-67-95
AHL: 32 in 55, 16 in 26 and then to the NHL.

This year was the first year in AA’s career he didn’t improve on the year before statistically.

ZS
OHL: 45-65-65
AHL: 26-24-16 in 42(25 pace)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Even a cursory glance at the statistics prove you are wrong. Why are you lying? Or maybe it is just about trying to see what you want rather than what is really there, nothing
How am I lying? Neither of those guys hit 20 goals in the AHL, go check again.

EDIT: Unless the person I quoted means in total? I took it as in one season.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nope.

AA:
OHL years: 22-37-67-95
AHL: 32 in 55, 16 in 26 and then to the NHL.

This year was the first year in AA’s career he didn’t improve on the year before statistically.

ZS
OHL: 45-65-65
AHL: 26-24-16 in 42(25 pace)
Was thinking as a raw skill set style prospect - but thanks for the numbers. Don’t see a whole lot of improvement from 32 in 55 to 16 in 26 for AA. And to say Senyshyn didn’t improve in the OHL is just silly. His problem then was that he could put up numbers just on skill alone so he never had to (and maybe they never asked him to) play the rest of the game. Reeeeal similar to AA IMO.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Do you feel those are comparable players to Zach Senyshyn?

Furthermore, Ferland. improved every year in the W, going from 28 pts, to 56 pts, to 96 pts. Ferland had 18 points in 25 games his first year in the A while playing his banging style and the next year he was playing NHL minutes..

Anderson’s numbers improved but yeah didn’t light the world on fire...still had 18 goals and 39 pts in 58 games his final year while also bringing something unique to the club with his style of play. A jump from 17 points, 7 goals the year before

But we both know those guys aren’t on the ice to produce points. They can and it’s a great added bonus, but they’re there to bang bodies.

So...can you confidently say Zach Senyshyn brings something unique to the club like those two do that would make the franchise disregard the lack of results and growth?
Can I confidently say that? No, but he could certainly still learn to use his body and bring that element to his game.

I'm not outright saying that he will be either of those guys, just making the points that

1) Bigger bodies are sometimes later bloomers
2) He can still contribute at some level at the NHL IMO, whether that level is 5 goals as a 4th liner or chipping in 15 on the 3rd line is yet to be seen

I would not be surprised one bit if he amounts to nothing, but a little optimism doesn't hurt.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
For anyone who thinks Senyshyn has a future at the club, please explain his abysmal playoff record at all levels
OHLGPGPPG
Regular season0.580.91
Playoffs0.270.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
AHLGPGPPG
Regular season0.190.38
Playoffs0.000.08
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I know I am running the risk of being called a 'stat watcher', by some of our lauded (lol) scouts, but truth cannot be more apparent than this.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Let's put aside that they've played at the same level and it wasn't even close..or that Bjork nearly outproduced Senyshyn just gross this year, even though he was in the NHL and Senyshyn was in the A.

I'd be more interested to hear why you think the Bruins gave Anders Bjork $1.6M AAV for 3 years and Zach Senyshyn literally the worst contract an NHL team can offer(min salary, 1 year, two-way) if this was actually the case.

I'm more saying Bjork's been given some pretty solid opportunities, first line, 2nd line, 3rd line, PP time, what's he shown from that offensive wise? Not a whole lot. I like Bjork, but you can't say he's taken all his opportunities and ran with it.

All I'm saying is give the dude a chance and see what happens, I think it'll be pretty dece, he's got a lot of tools in his belt. Seems way more gritty than a lot of players on the roster too.

If I recall correctly, didn't he have points taken away also? He seemed to always be in the action

member 96824

How am I lying? Neither of those guys hit 20 goals in the AHL, go check again.

You’re technically not lying..Ferland also never played more than 32 AHL games because he was the real deal.

Anderson had 18 in 58 and then was called up, safe to say that in the AHL’s 76 game season he would have gotten there.

Anderson did surprise me though for sure. Coming out of London I thought he was going to be an NHLer but more of the Zac Rinaldo type

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So we aren't allowed to reference the draft Zach Senyshyn was chosen in a thread about that player? We can discuss the player but can't mention where he was picked (and how %^&&* brutal a choice it was)?

I didn't mention any of the guys they passed on, and my post(s) still got deleted.

member 96824

Was thinking as a raw skill set style prospect - but thanks for the numbers. Don’t see a whole lot of improvement from 32 in 55 to 16 in 26 for AA. And to say Senyshyn didn’t improve in the OHL is just silly. His problem then was that he could put up numbers just on skill alone so he never had to (and maybe they never asked him to) play the rest of the game. Reeeeal similar to AA IMO.

He didn’t though. Sure he got more minutes when all of the guys Soo had for their big run his draft year were gone and that brought that jump from 45 on the 3rd line to 65 on the top line but Zach hasn’t taken a step forward results wise since his D+1 year. AA did it every year.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You’re technically not lying..Ferland also never played more than 32 AHL games because he was the real deal.

Anderson had 18 in 58 and then was called up, safe to say that in the AHL’s 76 game season he would have gotten there.

Anderson did surprise me though for sure. Coming out of London I thought he was going to be an NHLer but more of the Zac Rinaldo type
Honestly thought that it said 78 games played for Anderson, been a long morning.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

He obviously has more skill that than waste of skin, but it wouldn't be the first time a big winger became a flash in the pan, especially after an injury (Guillaume Latendresse)

member 96824

I'm more saying Bjork's been given some pretty solid opportunities, first line, 2nd line, 3rd line, PP time, what's he shown from that offensive wise? Not a whole lot. I like Bjork, but you can't say he's taken all his opportunities and ran with it.

All I'm saying is give the dude a chance and see what happens, I think it'll be pretty dece, he's got a lot of tools in his belt. Seems way more gritty than a lot of players on the roster too.

If I recall correctly, didn't he have points taken away also? He seemed to always be in the action

Bjork has earned them with his play and a little bit of filling holes in the Boston roster.

Senyshyn has been in the same org as Bjork during that time

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He didn’t though. Sure he got more minutes when all of the guys Soo had for their big run his draft year were gone and that brought that jump from 45 on the 3rd line to 65 on the top line but Zach hasn’t taken a step forward results wise since his D+1 year. AA did it every year.
If you insist on playing with numbers his 65 in the last OHL year came in fewer games than the year before. So if we’re going to credit one player with “pace” stats it works for both. Think his pace in the AHL last year was up as well from the year before too. But that just if you insist on playing with numbers for him like you did for AA.

IMO It’s a wash between them until AA took off in the NHL (and apparently flamed out a bit).

Last edited:

member 96824

If you insist on playing with numbers his 65 in the last OHL year came in fewer games than the year before. So if we’re going to credit one player with “pace” stats it works for both.

Fair. In Senyshyn’s last O year he had 65 points in 59 games vs 65 in 66 the year prior.

However, you’re calling AA going from 67 in 66 to 95 in 66 as the precedent here. Not seeing the comparison

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Fair. In Senyshyn’s last O year he had 65 points in 59 games vs 65 in 66 the year prior.

However, you’re calling AA going from 67 in 66 to 95 in 66 as the precedent here. Not seeing the comparison
Naw it would be closer to Senyshyn’s going from 20 ish goals to 40+ like AA did.

Looking back though those Colts team were stacked - and the Greyhounds had an interesting mix before Senyshyn’s role and #’s took off. . .

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
How far does one need fall to be compared to Andreas Athanasiou, one of the most brain dead players to ever play in the NHL?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
One of the things that has to be considered is how Senyshyn has been managed in Providence. Despite the intriguing stats and unbelievable size, speed and skill package in his draft year, Senyshyn was by far the rawest prospect taken in the 1st round. If I recall correctly, by the time he got to Providence, JAy Leach realized that if he was going to make it in the NHL (at least as a Bruin) he would need to redefine his game to focus on forechecking and crashing the net. He has played primarily a checking role in Providence with very little PP time until just before the COVID pause. Anthony at the Bruins Network reported that Senysyhyn was often the best player on the ice for both teams due to his hyper-aggressive forecheck. Now that is something the Bruins missed this postseason.

For reference, here is Leach's postseason recap on both Seny and Zboril. The latest on the development of 2015 first-round picks Zach Senyshyn, Jakub Zboril

Senyshyn's competition for the 4RW are essentially Wags and Kuhlman. Those are the guys he has to beat. Based on the poor performance of the 4th line last year, I would imagine the job is totall up for grabs.

Now, some of you have mentioned Seny might be "gifted" a chance higher up the depth chart. Whether you like it or not, Senyshyn has paid his dues in the A. So, if he ends up getting a look alongside Bergeron, Krejci or Coyle...it's because he has earned the look. The question is whether he can keep the job.

While I look forward to seeing more of Kase, until he produces on the scoreboard, he is entirely replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kase continue to struggle in that regards...or god forbid he get his clock cleaned for the 20th time...that might be the type of opportunity Seny needs to get an extended look.

I wouldn't bet my mortgage on Seny playing more than 20 games in Boston this year...but if he does, I think he is the type of unique player who could thrive once he figures it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad