Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - II - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It’s because Sweeney has been so good as GM that one pick from a draft 4 years ago it the main point of criticism on the board.

That's actually a fair point- there hasn't been a trail of wreckage stretching back through several drafts. I guess there is still time for it all to go pear-shaped, but he's done well overall especially with the draft.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, Senyshyn, through no fault of his own, is undoubtedly Boston's most controversial and head-scratching draft pick in recent memory.

No question, and it is weird to me. I get that a lot of people didn't and don't like the pick, but in the grand scheme of Bruins hockey, it just isn't that big of a deal. Then again, it's also the summer after a great season (even with the Cup disappointment) so not a lot to talk about.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
No question, and it is weird to me. I get that a lot of people didn't and don't like the pick, but in the grand scheme of Bruins hockey, it just isn't that big of a deal. Then again, it's also the summer after a great season (even with the Cup disappointment) so not a lot to talk about.

It kind of is a big deal because Boston passed on a future #1 center for the team (now plying his trade for the NY Islanders) in favor of huge reach in a historically deep draft.

Reactions: Lo97 and JOKER 192

member 96824

It’s because Sweeney has been so good as GM that one pick from a draft 4 years ago it the main point of criticism on the board.

He's certainly grown into his role.

2015 draft, Rinaldo, Beleskey, Backes all headscratchers (not Monday morning QBing, this board was right about all of them), but the great thing about Sweeney is he appears to learn pretty quickly. You can make mistakes, just don't make the same mistakes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It kind of is a big deal because Boston passed on a future #1 center for the team (now plying his trade for the NY Islanders) in favor of huge reach in a historically deep draft.

I think it's been documented that it wasn't that huge of a reach. I believe the sources that had him going at 19 or 24 if Boston didn't take him. Then you get into development issues. Does Voldemort look like he did with his rookie year in NYI with Boston? No way. He'd be behind Bergeron and Krejci on the depth chart playing 3rd line even strength minutes, probably limited or no PP time, no PK time. Does he look like our future #1 at that point? Who can say? The butterfly effect is so massive in this one. It is also not that a big deal because the Bruins aren't in any kind of trouble as a franchise. We don't need him to be Obi-Wan McDavid and save us. The players will come from somewhere. I get that it is bummer and we should probably have taken someone else in that spot, but all the reams of anger, hand-wringing, overly critical posts etc. are kind of excessive over one mid-first round draft pick in a draft where we have two NHL starters that came out of it (and good ones). Not to mention JFK as a center who has personal matters that he needed to be home for, plus Zboril, Lauzon. But no focus on that, just pages and pages of arguing over Zach Senyshyn. Hell, I'm doing it right now :laugh:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think it's been documented that it wasn't that huge of a reach. I believe the sources that had him going at 19 or 24 if Boston didn't take him. Then you get into development issues. Does Voldemort look like he did with his rookie year in NYI with Boston? No way. He'd be behind Bergeron and Krejci on the depth chart playing 3rd line even strength minutes, probably limited or no PP time, no PK time. Does he look like our future #1 at that point? Who can say? The butterfly effect is so massive in this one. It is also not that a big deal because the Bruins aren't in any kind of trouble as a franchise. We don't need him to be Obi-Wan McDavid and save us. The players will come from somewhere. I get that it is bummer and we should probably have taken someone else in that spot, but all the reams of anger, hand-wringing, overly critical posts etc. are kind of excessive over one mid-first round draft pick in a draft where we have two NHL starters that came out of it (and good ones). Not to mention JFK as a center who has personal matters that he needed to be home for, plus Zboril, Lauzon. But no focus on that, just pages and pages of arguing over Zach Senyshyn. Hell, I'm doing it right now :laugh:
It's the McDonald's mentality. People don't want to wait more than 3 minutes for a burger just as much as people don't want to wait more than 1 year for a prospect to make the NHL.

Fact is you are right on the nose with your assessment. Barzal might not be at the same spot he is now if he were here - he might have been at Ryan Spooner level for a center getting 50 points on the 3rd line playing a one-dimensional game. He may have even been playing wing since the Bruins seem to be targeting two-way prowess and size down the middle and speed and skill on the wings. Who the hell really knows? Hell we may not even make the Stanley Cup finals with Barzal on the team since we would have no use to trade for Coyle to fill that 3rd line C hole, who was an integral piece to the run.

Lots of ripple effects and what ifs at play - I personally will wait until Seny either makes the NHL for the Bruins or doesn't make it before I hold judgement on the draft pick.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not for nothing, but could Senyshyn fill the one position on the #1 PP that no one else has seemed to be able to do? Yes the net front guy is the correct answer. Senyshyn's got size and he does some of his best work in close. Could that be where he really makes an early impact on this team?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not for nothing, but could Senyshyn fill the one position on the #1 PP that no one else has seemed to be able to do? Yes the net front guy is the correct answer. Senyshyn's got size and he does some of his best work in close. Could that be where he really makes an early impact on this team?

I don't think that 1st unit PP can get any better. If I remember right, that was the highest percentage PP since the Orr days.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Wrong handedness though. It’s why Backes couldn’t play the role. When you rotate below the goal line to give the half wall guy an option there is no passing lane without getting picked off

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well, Senyshyn, through no fault of his own, is undoubtedly Boston's most controversial and head-scratching draft pick in recent memory.

100% correct . A lot of the angst directed at Management over the 2015 draft seems to get redirected in Senyshyn's direction . The poor boy has nothing to do with being picked out of sequence. I wish him well , I'm hopeful he can hold a 3rd line RW roll and I could live with that if that's his ceiling.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Really doubt that because they have given zero time to hone that side of the game.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wrong handedness though. It’s why Backes couldn’t play the role. When you rotate below the goal line to give the half wall guy an option there is no passing lane without getting picked off

Maybe it's an area they need to change to fit a RHS.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The thing is , he has been really good lately. Especially last year. But he ****ed up real bad in 2015 and even a casual fan can recognize that and probably have predicted it too.
A casual fan would notice the top six wing and top 4 defenseman that they pulled out of that draft before they recognized anything else. Only the LF goes on like this.

It’s possible - but I don’t see them messing with the #1 pp. He could work the net front on the second unit, or set up in Pastrnak’s spot, backside on the left wing.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A casual fan would notice the top six wing and top 4 defenseman that they pulled out of that draft before they recognized anything else. Only the LF goes on like this.

It’s possible - but I don’t see them messing with the #1 pp. He could work the net front on the second unit, or set up in Pastrnak’s spot, backside on the left wing.

A casual fan would realize that's really not that good considering the amount of picks they had.

Even someone with no interest in sport at all would realize that.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He's certainly grown into his role.

2015 draft, Rinaldo, Beleskey, Backes all headscratchers (not Monday morning QBing, this board was right about all of them), but the great thing about Sweeney is he appears to learn pretty quickly. You can make mistakes, just don't make the same mistakes.
I am pretty sure, with perhaps the exception of Rinaldo who had his supporters, Beleskey and Backes were popular moves here. Actually, I remember they were popular moves because I hated all three of those moves :laugh:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I am pretty sure, with perhaps the exception of Rinaldo who had his supporters, Beleskey and Backes were popular moves here. Actually, I remember they were popular moves because I hated all three of those moves :laugh:

Really doubt you were alone on these.

Rinaldo = total hack who isn't even a hockey player
Beleskey = Flavor of the year
Backes = When the team that drafted you turns their back, not a good sign.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

Definitely wasn’t alone. I went back and looked at my last posts before today....complaining about Backes. Quite a few were back then. :)

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Popular
adjective
  1. liked or admired by many people or by a particular person or group.
Notice in the definition of popular, it says many people, not all people?

I am not claiming I was alone in my dislike of these moves; simply, I remember Backes and Beleskey being liked by more people than disliked at the time. Maybe I am mistaken, but I remember it that way.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

That's just it though, no one has really cemented themselves in that net front role. To me, that spot is wide open for anyone to take.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Popular
adjective
  1. liked or admired by many people or by a particular person or group.
Notice in the definition of popular, it says many people, not all people?

I am not claiming I was alone in my dislike of these moves; simply, I remember Backes and Beleskey being liked by more people than disliked at the time. Maybe I am mistaken, but I remember it that way.

Easy there, just an expression to say there were many more detractors than you made it sound like, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad