Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laredo

Feb 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I was wondering if it may have been that stick he took in the Rangers game.

I think he took another big hit after that as well, maybe against Boston?

Did he get the stitches from that stick against the Rangers, I can't remember haha. I doubt it was from that though.

IF anything I would think it was a hit from Boston, surely there's video out there but I don't remember Parise taking any huge hits from what I can remember.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
200.gif

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Did he get the stitches from that stick against the Rangers, I can't remember haha. I doubt it was from that though.

IF anything I would think it was a hit from Boston, surely there's video out there but I don't remember Parise taking any huge hits from what I can remember.

Most are assuming it's from the stick he took (which also required stitches, yes). Don't recall any big hits against Boston.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Mr. Parise has a LOT of hard miles on him and he is no longer a kid. As time goes on, his recovery time will grow and grow with every injury.

He is not back today. Any word when he will be?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
At the risk of stating the obvious...

Mr. Parise has a LOT of hard miles on him and he is no longer a kid. As time goes on, his recovery time will grow and grow with every injury.

He is not back today. Any word when he will be?

What really has me worried right now is what Russo wrote about on Sunday: the contracts can come back and bite the team in the ass. There is a penalty if the contracts that were top heavy to allow for lower cap hits at the end and those players retire before those contracts are over.

Concussions are no joke. Ask Lindros

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What really has me worried right now is what Russo wrote about on Sunday: the contracts can come back and bite the team in the ass. There is a penalty if the contracts that were top heavy to allow for lower cap hits at the end and those players retire before those contracts are over.

Concussions are no joke. Ask Lindros

Parise will play until he wants to retire, then ride out his contract on LTIR like Pronger. Whether it be Phantom or real injury.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Parise will play until he wants to retire, then ride out his contract on LTIR like Pronger. Whether it be Phantom or real injury.

However, is that something the league will allow to happen? Serious question as I do not know. I thought the new CBA nipped that so it could no longer happen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't see an issue with Parise or Suter playing in their late 30's. Only issue is that they would only be taking home $1 million in real dollars for the last 3 years, but when you've already made what they are going to make, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't see an issue with Parise or Suter playing in their late 30's. Only issue is that they would only be taking home $1 million in real dollars for the last 3 years, but when you've already made what they are going to make, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Not anything about what they would make, it is the caphit that the team will be required to take because of it:

Let’s say one retired in 2020: The team would be charged a $3.938 million salary cap penalty in each of the next five seasons. Let’s say the other retired in 2021: The Wild would be charged a $5.038 million cap penalty in each of the next four seasons. It gets much higher in 2022-25.

Source: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/282831691.html

Its easy to predict that Suter will likely play until he is 40 (10 more seasons)

Parise....not so much. Forwards don't have that type of shelf life as they did back in the early 90's. Jagr is the only one in his 40's playing right now IIRC. Parise contract will take him to about the same age.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild are gambling that the salary cap will have increased to such a level by 2020 that even a ~$4 million hit won't make much of a dent if one or both of them does decide to hang it up around then.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd rather have to deal with cap recapture in 10 years than be a forgettable team missing the playoffs again.

Also, the NHL rescinded on the 1st round draft pick penalty from New Jersey and has looked the other way for Pronger's "retirement", so I'm not confident the Wild would have any consequences at all. Plus, there's going to be another CBA by then.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
However, is that something the league will allow to happen? Serious question as I do not know. I thought the new CBA nipped that so it could no longer happen.

If its a legitimate injury(concussion, knees are shot, etc) they really don't have much of a choice. LTIR still exists.

If its a fudged injury, they could probably punish the Wild for trying it.

But I'm willing to bet next CBA cooler heads will prevail and cap recapture will be eliminated.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
As long as Parise doesn't have injury issues, he can be a 3rd liner for a long-time. And his salary could easily be in the range of top-9 players then.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The Wild are gambling that the salary cap will have increased to such a level by 2020 that even a ~$4 million hit won't make much of a dent if one or both of them does decide to hang it up around then.

But that isn't factoring in inflation of the contracts based on that though either. You have Patrick Kane making more than Sidney Crosby simply because of when the contracts were signed. Who knows what the contract could reach by 2020. $5M now could be like having a backup goalie making $3M of your caphit.

I could easily see him having a Mark Rechi like end of career.

I would like to think he certainly could. At some point his intensity is going to fade though.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I'd rather have to deal with cap recapture in 10 years than be a forgettable team missing the playoffs again.

Also, the NHL rescinded on the 1st round draft pick penalty from New Jersey and has looked the other way for Pronger's "retirement", so I'm not confident the Wild would have any consequences at all. Plus, there's going to be another CBA by then.

Everyone forgets we still have another lockout between now and when they will likely retire :).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's just because we always see a high level of effort/play from him, so we might take it for granted. But yeah, he has been great this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad