Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
So, you hope Granny, Zucker, Staal and Koivu kinda decline?
I'd be happy if Parise returns to be his old self, but he would barely be in our top5 anymore.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, you hope Granny, Zucker, Staal and Koivu kinda decline?
I'd be happy if Parise returns to be his old self, but he would barely be in our top5 anymore.

I don't know how you got that from what I posted. Look at Parise's stats in previous years. They speak for themselves.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I coule be wrong, but I think Parise has started to turn a corner. He seems to have his legs under him. Still has got his shot completely back, but his hands are looking better, as evidenced by that terrific deflection goal last night. With Coyle and Staal cooling off, it would be great if Parise got some of his old magic back. It wasn't that long ago that he was our best forward, and I haven't given up hope that he can be again.

I'll give an unpopular opinion

The mistake people make with him is they are expecting Patrick Kane when they are going to get David Backes. He's a 3rd line player at this point. It happens. Some later, some earlier in their careers. Injuries, western conf play, twins at home and of course age all are playing a part.

He is going to have games of brilliance, but so did Cal Clutterbuck. If he pots in 15 call it a success. At this point his paycheck is being earned by his defensive play and leadership capabilities. Let the kids go score goals. Team is going to need him healthy for 16+ in the post season. Badly.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'll give an unpopular opinion

The mistake people make with him is they are expecting Patrick Kane when they are going to get David Backes. He's a 3rd line player at this point. It happens. Some later, some earlier in their careers. Injuries, western conf play, twins at home and of course age all are playing a part.

He is going to have games of brilliance, but so did Cal Clutterbuck. If he pots in 15 call it a success. At this point his paycheck is being earned by his defensive play and leadership capabilities. Let the kids go score goals. Team is going to need him healthy for 16+ in the post season. Badly.

$7,538,461 x 8 more years for 15g a year + defensive play? That's beyond whipping boy category. Pommer makes ~$2m less a year and look at the hate he's gotten the last year+.

If the team wins the Cup and he's a PPG player in the Playoffs, it's money well spent. If he's injured or pulls a no-show in the Playoffs... It won't end well.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
$7,538,461 x 8 more years for 15g a year + defensive play? That's beyond whipping boy category. Pommer makes ~$2m less a year and look at the hate he's gotten the last year+.

If the team wins the Cup and he's a PPG player in the Playoffs, it's money well spent. If he's injured or pulls a no-show in the Playoffs... It won't end well.

Defensive play is a massive intangible folks forget in my eyes. It is one of the reasons many pushed back on other folks when Koivu wasn't scoring. Yet when it was brought up about $$ it was those two topics that were always used as exhibits A and B.

He will still get points. I just think people need to lay off this he needs to put up 70 every year to justify his check. If he is keeping elite players contained, I'll take that at this point. Do I think it's worth $7M? No but that is done. He will eventually wear that "C" regardless of point production.

Also lets not even talk about what happens If he has to retire early. That will be a kiss of death. And right now he's offsetting Suter, who probably deserves another $1-$1.5M.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
We all knew that ZP's contract would be an anchor at some point. But it also needs to be remembered that if it wasn't for Zach, Suter would not be on the Wild. They were a package deal that immediately raised the credibility and competitiveness of this franchise around the league.

We just need to hope that the cap eventually starts to rise, thereby making Zach's contract less and less of a burden (percentage-wise).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
We all knew that ZP's contract would be an anchor at some point. But it also needs to be remembered that if it wasn't for Zach, Suter would not be on the Wild. They were a package deal that immediately raised the credibility and competitiveness of this franchise around the league.

We just need to hope that the cap eventually starts to rise, thereby making Zach's contract less and less of a burden (percentage-wise).

Yep, that's where I'm at. I think we all see the writing on the wall; that's going to be a bad contract for a while.

But it was a necessary evil.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Concur completely.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Mentally take 1 million off Zach's contract and add 1 million to Suter's. That's closer to market value for when they signed. Makes Zach's decline easier to stomach.

Honestly, Zach just needs to get freaking healthy this off-season. The team doesn't need him to be the star anymore. Get the necessary medical treatment and heal up. We just need him to put in 25 goals, 55 points, while being the best "3rd liner but not really" in the league. And then just keep doing that for 5+ more years.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Mentally take 1 million off Zach's contract and add 1 million to Suter's. That's closer to market value for when they signed. Makes Zach's decline easier to stomach.

Honestly, Zach just gets to get freaking healthy this off-season. The team doesn't need him to be the star anymore. Get the necessary medical treatment and heal up. We just need him to put in 25 goals, 55 points, while being the best "3rd liner but not really" in the league. And then just keep doing that for 5+ more years.

Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->