Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I was listening to Leafs lunch earlier on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto and Andi Petrillo said the same as you that both of these hits aren't really comparable. Petrillo and Gord Miller didn't seem to have a problem with Hyman getting suspended for his hit.

They also had Pierre McGuire on and he said that Hyman earned that 2 games since it was a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Yep, I do agree with them. He will learn.

My only issue was Wagner trying to kill Reilly. If he connects properly on that charge, where he leaves his feet, this is a whole other story. Reilly would be concussed for the next few months. Talk about predatory.

Reactions: sheed36

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was listening to Leafs lunch earlier on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto and Andi Petrillo said the same as you that both of these hits aren't really comparable. Petrillo and Gord Miller didn't seem to have a problem with Hyman getting suspended for his hit.

They also had Pierre McGuire on and he said that Hyman earned that 2 games since it was a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player and he knew exactly what he was doing.
Excellent summary. Exactly the way I saw it too and the refs as well.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

My only issue was Wagner trying to kill Reilly. If he connects properly on that charge, where he leaves his feet, this is a whole other story. Reilly would be concussed for the next few months. Talk about predatory.

They discussed the Wagner play as well and Gord Miller said everyone could see what Wagner's intent was but other than charging (which he was called for) there wasn't anything illegal about his hit. People will likely disagree but I agree with Miller on this.

Reactions: Pia8988 and DanM

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Bad hit. Super late and he had no idea it was coming because of that and where Hyman was coming from . Totally unnecessary and he deserves the suspension.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
They discussed the Wagner play as well and Gord Miller said everyone could see what Wagner's intent was but other than charging (which he was called for) there wasn't anything illegal about his hit. People will likely disagree but I agree with Miller on this.

Oh for sure, he didn't land like he wanted.... but if he did, Reilly has no head left on his shoulders.

But yeah, other than charging, I get it.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I understand what you’re saying. You’re asking for something that is impossible. No two people see different hits the same way.
Here, i will show what i mean....here are 2 late hits...one actually causing and injury. One guy got suspended...the other didn't....it doesn't make sense.

And to those saying we need to protect our stars....this little hit from behind this week didn't even get a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Kerry Fraser is on TSN 690 Montreal sports radio right now and just said that Hyman was looking for retribution on McAvoy for his earlier crosscheck on Marner. He said the puck was long gone but Hyman kept coming and he called it a senseless and bad decision by Hyman on a player just back from injury.

I know Leafs fans will never agree with anything Kerry Fraser says but that is what he just said to Chris Nilan. Nilan did bring up that McAvoy should've be more aware and to protect himself better and while I do agree with him it still doesn't make the late hit acceptable IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016

My only issue was Wagner trying to kill Reilly. If he connects properly on that charge, where he leaves his feet, this is a whole other story. Reilly would be concussed for the next few months. Talk about predatory.[/
Oh for sure, he didn't land like he wanted.... but if he did, Reilly has no head left on his shoulders.

But yeah, other than charging, I get it.
and how would anybody know it didn't land exactly like he wanted this has got be the first time I've ever heard this argument. It is still possible to hit ppl hard without targeting the head

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Watch the hit a few times, in slow motion. He was looking to take him out, and not with shoulder to shoulder lol @CaperJay

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Here, i will show what i mean....here are 2 late hits...one actually causing and injury. One guy got suspended...the other didn't....it doesn't make sense.

And to those saying we need to protect our stars....this little hit right in the numbers this week didn't even get a look.

Except for the part that Kronwalls hit was literally no where close to the numbers and it amazes me that someone would actually say that. Like my god are you even attempting to be impartial? Even though it should be evident in the video, there are a million screenshots you could look at that show that's as "on the shoulders" as it gets.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Good post. Hyman is lucky also that McAvoy was able to play last night. If he had gotten re-concussed. It might have been 3 games. I tend to agree with Mcguire. Hyman knew what he was doing with that hit.
Honestly whether this was 2, 3 or 5 games doesn't matter a whole lot to this Leafs team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Except for the part that Kronwalls hit was literally no where close to the numbers and it amazes me that someone would actually say that. Like my god are you even attempting to be impartial? Even though it should be evident in the video, there are a million screenshots you could look at that show that's as "on the shoulders" as it gets.
Apologies guys...it's just a term i use for "hit from behind"...i will edit.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

And to those saying we need to protect our stars....this little hit from behind this week didn't even get a look.

League is very inconsistent.

100% agree.

That said, they got the call right in this case.

If we are going to complain and rally about the need to get the call right... we can't complain when they get it right... even if it is our guy that did it.

Reactions: jimslob

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kerry Fraser is on TSN 690 Montreal sports radio right now and just said that Hyman was looking for retribution on McAvoy for his earlier crosscheck on Marner. He said the puck was long gone but Hyman kept coming and he called it a senseless and bad decision by Hyman on a player just back from injury.

I know Leafs fans will never agree with anything Kerry Fraser says but that is what he just said to Chris Nilan. Nilan did bring up that McAvoy should've be more aware and to protect himself better and while I do agree with him it still doesn't make the late hit acceptable IMO.
Hyman's hit was late. Hyman's hit deserved 2 games. But what the f*** does Kerry Fraser know about why Hyman hit him? When that tool was 25 years younger, he couldn't see a high stick that cut a guy...and he was standing right in front of it....i'm surprised he can even see if his TV is turned on at this point.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I don't get the claim that McAvoy needs to protect himself better. There is no reason he should expect to get hit there as the hit was way late. Guys can't protect themselves 100% of the time or they will just be standing there swiveling around constantly. Several seconds after you've gotten rid of the puck and it is nowhere near you is not a situation where you should have to protect yourself.

Reactions: Spazkat

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Players will always push the envelope with the rules, it`s up to the league to say how much is too much.

When I think back to plays that caused serious injuries in the past where from memory there was no suspension (like Lindros on Dackell, Chara on Pacioretty, Steckell on Crosby, etc.) maybe there is starting to be a shift about the importance of player safety.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

The questions in here is that is the late hit 2 games worthy
Then, I hate people bring up the retribution stuff. Does it mean that NHL is ok with the first strike (McAvoy only got 2mins) but do not OK with the aftermath :popcorn:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hyman's hit was late. Hyman's hit deserved 2 games. But what the **** does Kerry Fraser know about why Hyman hit him? When that tool was 25 younger, he couldn't see a high stick that cut a guy...and he was standing right in front of it....i'm surprised he can even see if his TV is turned on at this point.

The exact response I was expecting for mentioning Kerry Fraser's take on the hit. No need to be so hostile. I'm only repeating what he said to Chris Nilan.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The exact response I was expecting for mentioning Kerry Fraser's take on the hit. No need to be so hostile. I'm only repeating what he said to Chris Nilan.
Lol... i wasn't trying to be hostile...more humorous. My point stands though, there is no way anybody knows why Hyman threw that hit...let alone calling it retaliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad