Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The questions in here is that is the late hit 2 games worthy
Then, I hate people bring up the retribution stuff. Does it mean that NHL is ok with the first strike (McAvoy only got 2mins) but do not OK with the aftermath :popcorn:

The NHL who makes these decisions deemed it was worthy of 2 games so I guess there's your answer. :dunno: It doesn't really matter what we think.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly whether this was 2, 3 or 5 games doesn't matter a whole lot to this Leafs team.
Hyman is a more valuable player than some give him credit for. He is one of the few Leafs that goes into dirty areas to get the puck. And he is also one of their better defensive players. There may be more skilled guys you can put out there. But a team is not about just having 23 of your most skilled guys in the line up. Every player has a role, and Hyman like him or not does his role well. Saying that, he is lucky McAvoy was not hurt or the DOPS may have given him more games.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hyman is a more valuable player than some give him credit for. He is one of the few Leafs that goes into dirty areas to get the puck. And he is also one of their better defensive players. There may be more skilled guys you can put out there. But a team is not about just having 23 of your most skilled guys in the line up. Every player has a role, and Hyman like him or not does his role well. Saying that, he is lucky McAvoy was not hurt or the DOPS may have given him more games.
He's a fine player and over hated, but at the end of the day these aren't meaningful games he is missing and the difference between 3-4-5 games is marginal.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
A Leafs fan made a bet with me on Facebook for $20 that Hyman would get a fine and nothing more. I asked him to put his money where is mouth is and up the anty to $50. He agreed.

I won.

He sent a note along with his Paypal transfer. L O L

View attachment 163747

It's both hilarious and insane that discipline and enforcement are so inconsistent that people can place bets on it

Reactions: Son of Donegal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's a fine player and over hated, but at the end of the day these aren't meaningful games he is missing and the difference between 3-4-5 games is marginal.

In the Atlantic division, a bad week could mean a difference of a wild card from a top 3 playoff spot.

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
The exact response I was expecting for mentioning Kerry Fraser's take on the hit. No need to be so hostile. I'm only repeating what he said to Chris Nilan.

Why does anyone care what that blind old man thinks. Hes biased af. Might as well just ask jack edwards what he thinks as well.

Reactions: thunder16

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So that's a clean hit in your opinion? And again, i say this as a Leafs fan who fully agrees that the Hyman hit was late.
I didn't say anything about it being clean or dirty and I really have no desire to argue about it because anyone that can look at that hit and say Matthews was "hit right in the numbers" has such a clear bias that it's not worth discussing.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't say anything about it being clean or dirty and I really have no desire to argue about it because anyone that can look at that hit and say Matthews was "hit right in the numbers" has such a clear bias that it's not worth discussing.
I already explained this...and edited to "hit from behind"....am i still biased, or did Kronwall throw a dirty hit from behind?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Reilly hit was predatory? ... in some way all bodychecks are. Was it to send a message? Yes. Was it dirty? No

Wagner did not aim for the head, raise his elbow, jump at him, hit him late etc

Reilly better watch where he is going and he did ....thats why he didnt get smashed.

What Hyman did was totally different and not a hockey play...suspension warranted
more then 3 strides is called charging, which is a penalty no matter which way you cut it, and he left his feet..predatory no more need be said

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I already explained this...and edited to "hit from behind"....am i still biased, or did Kronwall throw a dirty hit from behind?
Sorry, I don't follow every post you make or check back to see if you edited your lies after being called out. And no, the hit was not from behind so your bias remains firmly intact. I also don't think Hyman's hit should have been a suspension and have no dog in the fight either way.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get the claim that McAvoy needs to protect himself better. There is no reason he should expect to get hit there as the hit was way late. Guys can't protect themselves 100% of the time or they will just be standing there swiveling around constantly. Several seconds after you've gotten rid of the puck and it is nowhere near you is not a situation where you should have to protect yourself.

Your right he shouldn't have gotten hit, he should have been thrown when he hit Marner head first into the boards, seems no one likes to talk about that! just like Marner had no way of protecting himself.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I'm quite surprised by this suspension. I really didn't think it was that bad. Interference, sure, but late hits are delivered all the time without suspension.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Seems like the league agrees with bruins fans version of reality over leafs fans version of “reality”.

Fair ruling.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
more then 3 strides is called charging, which is a penalty no matter which way you cut it, and he left his feet..predatory no more need be said

you know how many strides players usually take to hit other players? There are guys coming from mid ice to hit a D that is bracing for the hit....

This type of hit (open ice) is a regular type in the playoffs and a non issue....

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems like the league agrees with bruins fans version of reality over leafs fans version of “reality”.

Fair ruling.
Not just the league. The refs on the ice saw it the same way. Five minutes and a match penalty for Hyman. It was obviously a suspendable play.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Did you know that NHL players often have to take strides to get into/stay in position on the ice? And that even if you have to skate very, very hard to get into position if you begin gliding as soon as you've committed to your hit, you're not really charging unless the speed is just colossal?

Every single NHL forecheck would be charging if the rule was assessed the way you want it to be.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Leafs fans are so triggered, they show more fight then the soft as butter team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad