Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I will say the best stretch of games Hyman played last year was the 3 game sweep of Edmonton, in Edmonton where he ran his own checking line.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I expect Hyms to do well on McDavid's wing, could even get McDavid to more points, but a big if to me. No doubt the guy digs and wins every puck battle he engages in but I struggle to think what the hell he does with it once he gets it. Does he actually have great underlying numbers, esp. concerning possession quality?

He does have good underlying numbers.

But his issues are that he's no good on the rush and he can't finish reliably. Can Connor McDavid fix the issues that Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares couldn't? We'll see.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
anything over 4 years for a 29 yr old with a serious recent(ish) knee injury is just an atrocious contract before any $$$ amounts then add $4-5M??? this is worse than clarkeson contract no matter how you view Hyman, I like him but not at any of these numbers even if we were rebuilding and had tons of cap space

Reactions: saltming

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
I smell that he will stay but it could be a 8 years 5 millions contract. Just feeling that Leafs always handcuff themselves and wasting all the golden opportunities (those ELC contracts)

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
See me, with a player like that who just had a pretty bad knee injury and never looked the same the rest of the year, I go higher dollars to keep to 4 years max but damn 40mil? No way I'm going beyond 6. This is a brutal deal and dare I say worse than Clarkson?? That's my measuring stick for terribad contacts.

Aside from their contracts, Hyman has been a much better hockey player than the Clarkson we saw join the Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, and it's in his contract that he has to go to Arizona after right ?
Yep.

D4D33880-AB7C-4EAF-B4E7-C048C36C2C3E.gif

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I like him too but he was absolutely terrible in the playoffs. Granted he was coming back from an injury but he couldn't handle the puck to save his life.
He has never been very good with the puck! Great/elite at digging and winning battles and great hockey IQ.(going from AM34 to McJesus) Smart guy

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Baffling to me how people insist on "picking a side" in this endlessly boring discussion about whether Dubas is doing a good or bad job.

News flash: Dubas is neither the greatest thing since sliced bread nor the devil incarnate.

All I'm trying to say as well. IMO he has done more good then bad, but that's an opinion.

Definitely has one both good and bad

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He does have good underlying numbers.

But his issues are that he's no good on the rush and he can't finish reliably. Can Connor McDavid fix the issues that Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares couldn't? We'll see.

He's not a rush player. Any smart GM would toss any numbers about him on the rush in the garbage. His job is to be hard on the boards and come out with the puck. It's up to McDavid to finish or score on the rush.

Very curious to see who the Leafs acquire to replace what he does.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Which Hyman are you getting for that price? He’s been nowhere worth that except for this COVID and injury shortened season, where he looked like Hossa. And then he was close to the worst player on the team coming back from injury in the playoffs.

My guess is that Edmonton will see a bit of both early on, and probably significant regret in the back half of the deal.

At the end of the day, he chose $ over a better chance to win a cup, so have a nice life, Zach.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He is getting way way more then market value.

I have no problem with him going to get paid. It's what we all would do.

Simply laughed that someone said he is leaving to go to Edmonton because he "cares too much about winning"
So true. He cares about money just like every other player

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Good for Hyman. He deserves every penny. Will it be a bad deal? Eventually. But I doubt Edmonton cares about that when they have Mcdavid in his prime trying to compete.

Reactions: The CyNick

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas knows how injured Hyman is.
He's never been healthy for one playoffs ever.

One legged playoff Hyman makes an appearance every year​

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He's not a rush player. Any smart GM would toss any numbers about him on the rush in the garbage. His job is to be hard on the boards and come out with the puck. It's up to McDavid to finish or score on the rush.

Very curious to see who the Leafs acquire to replace what he does.
I’m guessing he will be replaced with another one of Dubas’s league minimum players

Reactions: The CyNick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad