Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
He is a UFA. Why would he take a big enough haircut to play with this greedy group when he can get his money and play with McD? He is getting market value and does not have to threaten to sit to get it. God bless him.

He is getting way way more then market value.

I have no problem with him going to get paid. It's what we all would do.

Simply laughed that someone said he is leaving to go to Edmonton because he "cares too much about winning"

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I expect Hyms to do well on McDavid's wing, could even get McDavid to more points, but a big if to me. No doubt the guy digs and wins every puck battle he engages in but I struggle to think what the hell he does with it once he gets it. Does he actually have great underlying numbers, esp. concerning possession quality?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He is getting way way more then market value.

I have no problem with him going to get paid. It's what we all would do.

Simply laughed that someone said he is leaving to go to Edmonton because he "cares too much about winning"
I thought the same about JT but it is what it is. Cash is King most of the time.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
roby-amor-kilgore.jpg

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Why would Edmonton give us a pick? No other team is going to pay that amount so just wait until free agency.

Edit:

I guess if they're dumb enough to give that contract, they are dumb enough to also send us a free pick too.

Reactions: kb

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed instead he overpaid 4 great players, gave them money up front and we are in cap hell. Two wrongs don't make a right.

but singing good players even if for too much you are going to get a return on them and probably not even have to retain. In 2 years time when hyman isnt performing and 31 whos trading for him? If you have to overpay you overpay stars its pretty simple

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why would Edmonton give us a pick? No other team is going to pay that amount so just wait until free agency.

Edit:

I guess if they're dumb enough to give that contract, they are dumb enough to also send us a free pick too.
The extra year. They might want to push the aav down. The signing bonus- if it is a sign and trade, they may pay a pick for the Leafs to pay the bonus. We could use e more picks this weekend.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Hilarious that Dubas sticks to his guns and doesn't over pay Hyman on a too long of a deal and he still doesn't get credit.

People on this board are clearly just picking a side and it's BS.

Call it like it is, he made a good decision here.

Call him out on bad decisions and good decisions. It's total BS to take every good decision and crap on it.

Baffling to me how people insist on "picking a side" in this endlessly boring discussion about whether Dubas is doing a good or bad job.

News flash: Dubas is neither the greatest thing since sliced bread nor the devil incarnate.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Edit:

If they do same $$ over 8 years, the caphit per year drops 700K.

I don't agree with the approach because I think it's a terrible contract, but that's I suppose the logic.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Edit:

Guessing it'll be 6th, max. Not a lot to give up for them to get their man, regardless of how dumb the term is

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
If they do same $$ over 8 years, the caphit per year drops 700K.

I don't agree with the approach because I think it's a terrible contract, but that's I suppose the logic.
See me, with a player like that who just had a pretty bad knee injury and never looked the same the rest of the year, I go higher dollars to keep to 4 years max but damn 40mil? No way I'm going beyond 6. This is a brutal deal and dare I say worse than Clarkson?? That's my measuring stick for terribad contacts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Anything for a UFA would be a good deal for Toronto.

8 years though? Doesn't seem reasonable unless they see him as a potential front office guy once he's done playing.

I'm thinking there is no sign and trade unless it is part of a bigger deal.

Say a signing bonus paid by Leafs and then moved? Maybe Katz needs the money, US$3.6BN doesn't get you your own space fleet.

$40mm for Hyman, good on him, $40mm just seems too much no matter how many years it is spread over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad