Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
it’s done man I won, 0 50 point seasons I knew it.

*I would have loved to lost this bet, and no COVID I probably would have*
I will give you the victory, a pyrrhic victory but none the less a L for the good guy.
I'm going to miss him. It was fun watching some posters eat crow and others just try to maintain that they were right about him being a plug through some interesting gymnastics

Now we will have to find another bet to keep you and I occupied.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I will give you the victory, a pyrrhic victory but none the less a L for the good guy.
I'm going to miss him. It was fun watching some posters eat crow and others just try to maintain that they were right about him being a plug through some interesting gymnastics

Now we will have to find another bet to keep you and I occupied.

crow really is a delicious meal, I’ve eaten it many times including ala hyman. Crow just needs the right seasoning and that seasoning is salt

Reactions: saltming

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Funny thing about Hyman for me is just this; I loved the fact that he seemingly was a hard working player who always gave it an honest effort. Shift in and shift out, you knew what you were getting. The fact he was a Toronto boy was just icing on the cake. But the other part I loved, was I thought he cared more about the crest on his jersey, than some of his greedy teammates. I don't fault him at all for going after his pay day. Not one bit. But it definitely changes the way I view him tbh. He is going to a good spot beside McDavid, but he's been in a good spot here too. I'm not so sure that a guy like Brock McGinn can't do something similar to Hyman at 1/3 of the cost. Energy guy, puck retriever, and penalty killer. He was just out for top dollar at the end of the day, and that's a lot of what's wrong in our locker room. Hopefully our young guys learn that come next contract. There are plenty of NHL stars that have left money on the table to win. We need a lot more Spezza attitude than Marner attitude when it comes to negotiations. Glad management is letting him walk. That contract is gonna be bad.

Last edited:

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Remember when Kadri led the team in scoring and then signed away UFA years for a 400k raise?
Are those days of taking a deal to stay with Toronto gone? f***ing Hyman.

Reactions: Nylander88

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Funny thing about Hyman for me is just this; I loved the fact he was that he seemingly was a hard working player who always gave it an honest effort. Shift in and shift out, you knew what you were getting. The fact he was a Toronto boy was just icing on the cake. But the other part I loved, was I thought he cared most about the crest on his jersey, than some of his greedy teammates. I don't fault him at all for going after his pay day. Not one bit. But it definitely changes that way I view him tbh. He is going to a good spot beside McDavid, but he's been in a good spot here too. I'm not so sure that a guy like Brock McGinn can't do something similar to Hyman at 1/3 of the cost. Energy guy, puck retriever, and penalty killer. He was just out for top dollar at the end of the day, and that's a lot of what's wrong in our locker room. Hopefully our young guys learn that come next contract. There are plenty of NHL stars that have left money on the table to win. We need a lot more Spezza attitude than Marner attitude when it comes to negotiations. Glad management is letting him walk. That contract is gonna be bad.

I view it the other way for the latter part of your post. I think Hyman believes that this team isn't a contender or good enough to make any noise in the playoffs.

Suppose he was to give a massive discount what does he has to show for his career? No decent earning or cup runs. That's a huge ask from him IMO.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

See if I were Leafs GM, I would have traded the negotiating rights of Hyman to Edmonton for a conditional 6th rounder before I allowed anyone to talk to him (standard operating practice for dealing exclusive rights), and the condition being if they come to a successful agreement and need a sign and trade to complete it for and 8th year, that 6th becomes a 3rd or 4th thereafter.

Then there is a clear understanding where each side fits and the cost of doing business.

Setting Hyman and his agent free to negotiate with anyone and everyone and then tell teams you want compensation afterwards without any previous understanding and agreement established really isn't a strong bargaining position. IMO

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Remember when Kadri led the team in scoring and then signed away UFA years for a 400k raise?

Hyman is human. He is a UFA and is choosing $40m from the Oilers over $32m from the Leafs. Pretty simple decision me thinks when your 2 linemates took every red cent they could when they were up to bat.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Those days were gone when Dubas decided to bend over and give Matthews, Marner and Tavares a blank check. Cale Makar arguably the best young D in the league just signed 6 years at 9 million. Our guys didn’t leave a penny on the table.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Hyman is human. He is a UFA and is choosing $40m from the Oilers over $32m from the Leafs. Pretty simple decision me thinks when your 2 linemates took every red cent they could when they were up to bat.
No excuse for any of them really. Well, except Matthews because he just signed the offer during the season, I don’t think there was much negotiation there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
A buddy of mine (oiler fan) texted me from Edmonton just now. Thanking me and dubas for holding out so that Oilers won't have to waste a pick and also they will avoid an 8th year of Hyman's contract LOL

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Those days were gone when Dubas decided to bend over and give Matthews, Marner and Tavares a blank check. Cale Makar arguably the best young D in the league just signed 6 years at 9 million. Our guys didn’t leave a penny on the table.

Makar's nice, but I don't see how giving a guy who has played 101 games in the NHL 6 x 9 is some sort of a bargain...

Reactions: Smif

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
A buddy of mine (oiler fan) texted me from Edmonton just now. Thanking me and dubas for holding out so that Oilers won't have to waste a pick and also they will avoid an 8th year of Hyman's contract LOL

You should explain to your slow friend that paying an extra 500k for the next 7 seasons for Hyman isn't any better.

Reactions: Nylander88

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Man the Oilers board is hilarious :laugh:

They’re all so salty Dubas didn’t do them a free favour. Honestly not taking the late pick was definitely worth the amount of Oilers tears we’re going to see.

Hopefully Holland goes full Holland and it’s 6.5x7

Reactions: paulhiggins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad