Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Well, I'm curious, what would your contracts look for the big 3? Now, if they don't sign and miss the season and the Leafs miss the playoffs, would you take the blame or put the blame entirely on the player?
I'd blame the RFAs. I'd also only give in to Matty if it got to that point but it would have to be for more than 5 years. No front loading if they don't give up some AAV. I'd also know what they were thinking before signing JT.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When your GM uses the word narrative, you just know your in trouble and it's his way and no other way. I don't know if he sounds like his fans, or his fans sound like him, but it's troublesome to have someone like that in charge.

Feels like it just comes down to adding a marginal asset for the Leafs or screwing over Edmonton a little bit. Seems like there's a little value in the first option, and not much benefit to Toronto in the latter.

If anything, we probably could have just traded his negotiating rights earlier and avoided the whole ambiguity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
6th rounder so that EDM can offer a UFA 500k more on Wednesday than they otherwise could.

That UFA could be a guy the Leafs are in on too. Maybe it isn't - but it could be.

6th rounder is peanuts - not worth helping a team out and potentially hurting yourself in the market this upcoming week when you're competing with EDM for UFAs.

If the Leafs are at the point where they're worried about how someone else could spend an extra $500K and hurt them, this ought to be a moment when they do a little self reflecting and realize a cap restructuring is needed...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dubas is always firm, but fair.

Never tries to screw over other GMs, never lets himself be screwed.

He knows what fair value is and sticks with it. Good on him.

Reactions: Ciao and axlrose87

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Feels like it just comes down to adding a marginal asset for the Leafs or screwing over Edmonton a little bit. Seems like there's a little value in the first option, and not much benefit to Toronto in the latter.

If anything, we probably could have just traded his negotiating rights earlier and avoided the whole ambiguity.
I have been very critical of Dubas but I support his stance on this.
People have made the leafs pay in these situations. We need to do the same. Otherwise, Dubas will always get pushed around in future negotiations.
If the price to pay to set that precedent is a 6th or 7th round pick in a draft where you can probably just sign those guys after the draft, I support it.

Reactions: Ciao

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
If the Leafs are at the point where they're worried about how someone else could spend an extra $500K and hurt them, this ought to be a moment when they do a little self reflecting and realize a cap restructuring is needed...

It's not that 500k is a huge deal.

It's just that it's worth more than a 6th round pick.

Imagine free agency opens up and the Leafs offer Bogosion 1M. EDM offers him 1.5 and he chooses EDM because they're both contenders giving him a similar role and shot at a cup - one is offering more money.

Could be Jaden Schwartz, any other. Why make your ability to sign UFAs harder for a 6th round pick?

A 2nd or 3rd? Worth the risk probably.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah so we're in the same spot we are now. Your plan just confirms we get nothing straight from the get go because Holland will reject it right away and just wait until free agency.

Your plan more supports that dubas letting teams talk to him for free is the better option because when Holland actually does have an 8 year deal in place , the odds of getting that 3rd or 4th increase. The fact the two sides are in a stalemate even with the 8 year deal made proves your plan is too aggressive and not a good idea.

Leafs can still get the 6th right now if they wanted. They can't get it when Holland rejects your condition from the get go

Doesn't sound like you're too optimistic Oilers will be coughing up a 3rd/4th any time soon. :)

Reactions: Havoc

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have been very critical of Dubas but I support his stance on this.
People have made the leafs pay in these situations. We need to do the same. Otherwise, Dubas will always get pushed around in future negotiations.
If the price to pay to set that precedent is a 6th or 7th round pick in a draft where you can probably just sign those guys after the draft, I support it.

Again, should have just traded his negotiation rights and be done with the whole mess.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think it's at all about hurting Hyman or the Oilers; it's probably about setting the bar for the next deal that comes along in the same way to the Leafs. They may have more free agents walk. This year Hyman; next year Reilly; who knows after that. If the Leafs want a piece of any pie they need to send a clear message about what size a piece they expect, and they might be in the process of doing that.

I really wouldn't know if a sixth is enough. For all I know, that may be the reasonable limit. Whatever it is, I don't mind the Leafs pushing the envelope here.

Reactions: geo25 and axlrose87

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lets re-visit the Foligno trade. It was STUPID to begin with given that Foligno was injured but our moron GM did it anyway

but if we look at the specifics.

We gave 1st round to CBJ for Foligno at 50% retained (5.5M) = 2.75M then shipped a 4th rounder to sharks for a 50% retention (2.75) = 1.375

so if 1.375 gets someone a 4th rounder; how much is dubas valuing that 400K*8 = 3.2M? is this even a right way to approach this? Should it be just 400K and thats it?

1.375M Leafs paid 4th rounder; how much should Oilers pay to save 400K on the cap? (alright for 8 years?)

what if Oilers decide they are cool with 7 years and don't want to dish out the pick; while send their own 6th and 7th away in a deal with someone else; then what?

Reactions: geo25

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Zach, I appreciated you as a Leaf. Wish you the best. Playing for Kenny Holland now you're screwed. I do believe the Leafs got the best value out of you. The Oilers are paying you for your very productive years as a Leaf. You gave it all which led to injuries. I think the Oilers will receive a player who gives it all but his body is breaking down and this will end up a bad signing. Term is too long. Honestly, best of luck....GO LEAFS GO

Reactions: axlrose87

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Lets re-visit the Foligno trade. It was STUPID to begin with given that Foligno was injured but our moron GM did it anyway

If Foligno was healthy, it was a fine trade. That was exactly the kind of acquisition we needed.

If Dubas knew he was acquiring damaged goods, he should probably be fired immediately.

We gave 1st round to CBJ for Foligno at 50% retained (5.5M) = 2.75M then shipped a 4th rounder to sharks for a 50% retention (2.75) = 1.375

so if 1.375 gets someone a 4th rounder; how much is dubas valuing that 400K*8 = 3.2M? is this even a right way to approach this? Should it be just 400K and thats it?

1.375M Leafs paid 4th rounder; how much should Oilers pay to save 400K on the cap? (alright for 8 years?)

what if Oilers decide they are cool with 7 years and don't want to dish out the pick; while send their own 6th and 7th away in a deal with someone else; then what?

I'm ok with Dubas holding out for a higher pick. The late rounders are essentially worthless.

Would you trade a 6th round pick for a coin flip to get a 4th? I would.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Again, should have just traded his negotiation rights and be done with the whole mess.

I wonder if that didn't happen since it essentially means the player has both feet out the door (contracts are usually agreed to under such circumstances), whereas allowing other teams to talk to the player might only be one foot? Perhaps Dubas felt Hyman wouldn't receive significantly better offers elsewhere, or offers that would make him seriously contemplate leaving the Leafs?

I can appreciate Dubas swinging for the fences here. However, the possibility remains that he might strike out entirely. Although cap space has meaning, it sounds like the difference here might even be less than the NHL minimum salary.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
it doesn't hurt his negotiation powers. where is this coming from? dubas can wait till july 28th and get the best offer available for all i care; it doesn't have to be today or right now.

letting hyman walk for nothing is tremendously bad asset management.

if he accepts whatever is available it doesn't impact his negotiating powers later; because there is nothing telling him to always cave (although history points to the contrary).

There is time to take a hardstand and there is time to be tactful. This isn't the time to take a hardstand. Leafs gain absolutely nothing if hyman walks for free
If Edmonton wants to pay a 5-6th to get his traditional rights and sign that 7 year deal early, fine.
If they’re looking for a new precedent to be set by us completing an NBA style Sign & Trade then Edmonton needs to pay up. Teams have guys walk for free every year, that’s kinda how ufa works.
Maybe management values their relationships with Edmonton’s divisional and conference rivals (all 15! Of them) vs appeasing Ken Holland because well that’s the nice guy thing to do.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site

Its not about trading his rights... even if we trade his rights, he can only sign 7 years in Edmonton.

Edmonton wants us to sign Hyman for 8 years as we are the only team that can do that... and then trade him to Edmonton for nothing.

Reactions: axlrose87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille