Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That would make too much sense. It would be fascinating if they deploy that way.
It would be interesting. But everyone seems to love putting Risto against other team's top guys in defensive situations because of his physicality.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It would be interesting. But everyone seems to love putting Risto against other team's top guys in defensive situations because of his physicality.

And then we watch them give up quality chances. At some point, someone with an ability to make those decisions has to wise up right?

Reactions: Mitts888

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm not sure Bogosian is quite the mess in his own zone we think he is. At a minimum, he's physical and can punish forwards.

Scandella can anchor the pair positionally.

Oh, he definitely is.

The physical element exists. Hopefully he'll be able to bring it without getting hurt. He's otherwise adding little to the d-zone.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
And then we watch them give up quality chances. At some point, someone with an ability to make those decisions has to wise up right?

I don't know, I hope it changes. Seems like everyone has just accepted that is his game. I think the old school hockey people still see him as a dman with high ability in the d-zone. Even though a lot of people in this small community feel a certain way about his defensive game I think the vast majority of fans, analysts, coaches, media, etc still see him as having the ability to be a shut-down D. To us its obvious this isn't the case but I wouldn't underestimate the power of the old school mentality that thinks physical play = good defense.

Reactions: Chainshot

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Sometimes a player does not look as good as he should because he does not trust his teammates, tries to do too much himself, plays too many minutes, and runs out of gas, becoming incapable of doing what he knows he has done in the past and should still be able to do. I believe that is the case with Risto. Proper team play, appropriate coaching, less stress put on himself to do it all should see a resurgence in his game.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't know, I hope it changes. Seems like everyone has just accepted that is his game. I think the old school hockey people still see him as a dman with high ability in the d-zone. Even though a lot of people in this small community feel a certain way about his defensive game I think the vast majority of fans, analysts, coaches, media, etc still see him as having the ability to be a shut-down D. To us its obvious this isn't the case but I wouldn't underestimate the power of the old school mentality that thinks physical play = good defense.
The greater community also thinks he sucks at defense.

Rasmus Ristolainen still needs to prove he’s above average at any element of hockey.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Actually, I'll take:

Bogo - Risto
Scandella - Dahlin

Dahlin and Scandella should be stapled together, epoxied together, written in pen, written in stone. My #1 priority for the coaching staff for the season is giving Dahlin the proper development environment, and that means stable, intelligent, defensively responsible partner who allows Dahlin to play a simple game within his strengths, and limited minutes. There's probably only one partner that's happening with.

I'm about 85% confident Phil will mess this up and go with

Scandella-Risto
Bogo-Dahlin

Hope Rasmus has fun covering for a 10 year vet who still has the hockey IQ of a potato

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The greater community also thinks he sucks at defense.

Rasmus Ristolainen still needs to prove he’s above average at any element of hockey.
Who is the greater community to you? Hfboards sabres fans and advanced stats fans are the only ones that I've seen admit Risto has defensive struggles. I think majority of the hockey community thinks he's a top pairing d-man without a doubt

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hopefully Ottawa does and trades us EK.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Who is the greater community to you? Hfboards sabres fans and advanced stats fans are the only ones that I've seen admit Risto has defensive struggles. I think majority of the hockey community thinks he's a top pairing d-man without a doubt
The hockey internet as a whole is pretty down on the guy, which has bled into traditional media; and I’m not sure the armchair fan has much love for a guy who averages a -20/season over his career.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The hockey internet as a whole is pretty down on the guy, which has bled into traditional media; and I’m not sure the armchair fan has much love for a guy who averages a -20/season over his career.
The guys career has been pretty close to unprecedented, not many players are forced into playing Karlsson/Doughty minutes on terrible teams at 20. I really think most other young D would have struggled in Risto's shoes.

Just as an example.. Pretty sure that up until Dahlin, Scandella was the best defenseman Risto has had on his team at the nhl level since he became a full time player. Scandella is a fine player (one of my favs on the team) but he was a #3/4 on his old team, which had a Risto-ish type player in Matt Dumba playing #4/5 minutes behind some very solid guys. That's how a guy like Risto is developed ideally. I still think he will be a very good top 4 guy at the very least, he's just had a rough initiation to the NHL.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The problem with that line of thinking is that pretty much nobody with early career Risto’s drag on shot share and meh individual production became more than a mediocre second pairing guy.

The bad habits he learned in the deep end are very likely to be permanent.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
By the end of this year, I want to be the biggest bogosian fan on this board. Make it so Zach.

Deleted member 27798

Now you know...

If we can’t put him on LTIR it’s time to waive him to Rochester and rehab for like 6 months...
What happened to him? Just up thread a few posts from a couple of weeks ago, he was "100% ready to go"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad