Dreger: Zach Bogosian has requested a trade

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not like we havnt seen that before lol. But seriously, if they play him and they think he's tanking it. Sit him. Tell him have fun watching hockey for the rest of the season.
yeah it may work but why he wants to leave is more interesting sucking is a thing that is hard but their coach is the guy the oilers players loved

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
yeah it may work but why he wants to leave is more interesting sucking is a thing that is hard but their coach is the guy the oilers players loved

I think he just needs to understand. Buffalo has given him alot of money to not be able to play much. There's a log jam on D and he may not get to play every night. They have to do what's best for the team. If it sours him, he's a UFA and has every right to go somewhere else.

I guess that's why many fans are taken back by this "request". Buffalo has been more then nice to him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think he just needs to understand. Buffalo has given him alot of money to not be able to play much. There's a log jam on D and he may not get to play every night. They have to do what's best for the team. If it sours him, he's a UFA and has every right to go somewhere else.
maybe the leafs would grab him idk

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think IF Buffalo wanted to do him a favor (which they shouldn't go out of thier way to do) and put him on waivers, some team that needs depth would grab him. It's only for a half a year.
idk if someone wants out giving them an exit build good will . the sabres are in a situation similar to the oilers and should try to turn him into picks or something you can turn into a forward

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Right, but here's what I'm saying. I think if Buffalo trades Bogosian, the worst deal they would accept is 0 value. I cant see them adding anything to him to do him a favor to trade him. So take him out of the equation. So we're looking at Toffoli@50% whos a UFA and a 4th for Johnson that was just drafted in the 1st round. The only reason I see Buffalo would consider this is thier desperate for cap space to make another trade. With all of the signings Buffalo needs to do this off season, there's a better then average chance Toffoli will be gone at the end of the season. And trading a kid drafted in the first round for a 4th doesn't sound to appealing.

If a team would pick up Bogosian on waivers (they wouldn't), that's better than zero value for Buffalo. That's $5M to play with at the deadline without having to give away a contributing player. So cap space is one of the assets that makes the trade worth doing. They have to value a rental Toffoli and they have to value the potential to add another player at the deadline. If they don't see themselves doing either of those things -- basically, if they'd rather ride the season out with the current roster and build for next year -- they don't do this deal.

If they do value a rental Toffoli and if they do value the space to make a move at the deadline, this is a very reasonable deal for both. A late first for a fourth, a middle six winger, and $3M of space is a good package.

There's not really another player as expendable and as expensive as Bogosian on the roster. They can't add a player for picks at the deadline without shedding salary, and there's no salary they'd rather shed than Bogo's.

And since they drafted Johnson, recall they traded for Jokiharju (and, to a lesser extent, Miller). They may look at this guy differently knowing that the D of the future includes Dahlin, Joker, Montour, Pilut, Risto, Borgen, and Samuelsson already.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
yeah they could always dump him tho now youre probably gonna take a cap dump because asking for a trade is like bleeding in a pool of sharks .

teams will bite but they will make it hurt
Yeah that's not happening.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If a team would pick up Bogosian on waivers (they wouldn't), that's better than zero value for Buffalo. That's $5M to play with at the deadline without having to give away a contributing player. So cap space is one of the assets that makes the trade worth doing. They have to value a rental Toffoli and they have to value the potential to add another player at the deadline. If they don't see themselves doing either of those things -- basically, if they'd rather ride the season out with the current roster and build for next year -- they don't do this deal.

If they do value a rental Toffoli and if they do value the space to make a move at the deadline, this is a very reasonable deal for both. A late first for a fourth, a middle six winger, and $3M of space is a good package.

There's not really another player as expendable and as expensive as Bogosian on the roster. They can't add a player for picks at the deadline without shedding salary, and there's no salary they'd rather shed than Bogo's.

And since they drafted Johnson, recall they traded for Jokiharju (and, to a lesser extent, Miller). They may look at this guy differently knowing that the D of the future includes Dahlin, Joker, Montour, Pilut, Risto, Borgen, and Samuelsson already.

I do think if Buffalo put Bogosian on waivers, a team would take him. It's around 3 mil since the seasons almost half over. And there are teams with hurt guys or need some depth and taking Bogo for 3 mil and not giving up any assets might look pretty good for a team.

But I wouldn't mind Toffoli at all. I just dont think Buffalo would make the trade if they think he'll be gone at the end of the season.

TunaBoss44

Oct 30, 2015
Buffalo
Any chance New Jersey would move Simmonds for him? Capwise it's basically a wash and both are pending UFAs

Buffalo could really use a RW with some grit

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

I guess that's why many fans are taken back by this "request". Buffalo has been more then nice to him.
Bogo wants to prove he's finally healthy and can contribute to an NHL club next season. It'll be tough to show that with the logjam Buffalo now has. I'm sure he understands that Buffalo has paid him a lot of money to contribute very little the last few seasons, however he needs to do what's best for him and his career and right now getting out of Buffalo is probably what's best.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I do think if Buffalo put Bogosian on waivers, a team would take him. It's around 3 mil since the seasons almost half over. And there are teams with hurt guys or need some depth and taking Bogo for 3 mil and not giving up any assets might look pretty good for a team.

But I wouldn't mind Toffoli at all. I just dont think Buffalo would make the trade if they think he'll be gone at the end of the season.
A team that claims him only owes him about half his salary but they have to fit the full cap hit against their cap.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Don't think a lot of teams are going to be lining up to take a 5 million dollar band-aid.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
yeah..I was thinking maybe the Jets, but that's a hefty cap hit. Bogo obviously didn't think about this clearly enough.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Bogo wants to prove he's finally healthy and can contribute to an NHL club next season. It'll be tough to show that with the logjam Buffalo now has. I'm sure he understands that Buffalo has paid him a lot of money to contribute very little the last few seasons, however he needs to do what's best for him and his career and right now getting out of Buffalo is probably what's best.

I agree, that would be best for him but that's not the organizations problem. They upheld thier end of the bargain. They paid him his huge contract, they played him when he was healthy. They dont owe it to him to do something that hurts the team now or in the future just to help him out though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds have extra picks and need an upgrade at 3rd pairing D. Since Buffalo is so low on him, Nashville's 2nd?
:thumbd: That's too much to give up for him. Our 5th or 6th rounder would be more reasonable. But our window on even bothering with trying to pick up help for the 3rd pair is closing.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You obviously don't follow the Sabres this year
16th in about every defensive stat...middle of the league nowhere near the bottom dude and when it comes to defense in general we have strong depth and we are playing 7 D-men most nights so just because we don't have any stars on D doesn't mean much neither does Vegas and they get by.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Sure. What do you have in mind? Amerks need a non-vet AHL forward, preferably one who can produce some offense.

"Some leadership" is dubious if his people put this out in the media after he was dog **** the last four games, costing them more than one goal against in all of them and deservedly being sent to the press box tonight.

DONE! No backsies.

**** Ceci. Really. Leaf fans, you can come down to malls in WNY and leave your trash in the parking lots like you have for decades... just do the same with Ceci. There is likely a dumpster at the Galleria y'all can prop him up beside and someone might recycle him as a lawn gnome or something.

Keep selling SCB.

**** no. Get him the hell away from the kids on the farm. The last thing they need is someone who's asked to be traded polluting the room on the farm.

Whatcha' offerin'?

Don't know the details yet. Krueger in his post-game press conference, when asked about it, was smoothly deflecting of the question.
How dare you ... I love wny.. especially hit n run
I dont spit on the street... the hotel door tells me not to

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Then he will have to do what Kevin Shattenkirk did. Sign for pennies on the dollar next off season. The two factors right now he is not worth 5 mil a year in real salary or cap. No one will take a chance to trade anything for him and Buffalo has no reason to sweeten the deal with another player or pick to move him. If sent down he clears waivers for the same reason.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad