Dreger: Zach Bogosian has requested a trade

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Needs a team where his fishing and hunting game can truly flourish. Think the wings and beef on weck have held him back.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
yeah..I was thinking maybe the Jets, but that's a hefty cap hit. Bogo obviously didn't think about this clearly enough.
He requested a trade from Winnipeg, so unlikely the Jets are looking for an oft-injured malcontent.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Then he will have to do what Kevin Shattenkirk did. Sign for pennies on the dollar next off season. The two factors right now he is not worth 5 mil a year in real salary or cap. No one will take a chance to trade anything for him and Buffalo has no reason to sweeten the deal with another player or pick to move him. If sent down he clears waivers for the same reason.
I think ultimately you are probably right. His health and lackluster play has destroyed almost all value he might have had. Maybe someone takes him on at 50% retained to play a bottom pairing role or a more likely scenario they have an underperforming pending UFA they can swap. That's about the only way Bogo gets what he wants. Buffalo certainly isn't unloading that contract without retention or salary coming back.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think ultimately you are probably right. His health and lackluster play has destroyed almost all value he might have had. Maybe someone takes him on at 50% retained to play a bottom pairing role or a more likely scenario they have an underperforming pending UFA they can swap. That's about the only way Bogo gets what he wants. Buffalo certainly isn't unloading that contract without retention or salary coming back.
yeah there aren't many options really in the 1 for 1 salary swap. Looking at underachieving UFA F's to be making over $4m, the list is small...Galchenyuk, Craig Smith, Frolik & Boedker. Not sure any of these teams need Bogo, MAYBE Nashville? I could see Bogo fitting in there and may be an upgrade over Irwin/Weber, Craig Smith is an upgrade over ERod at least, maybe Sheary.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I could see Arizona interested. They kinda need a physical #5/6 right shot defenseman. Bogo sucks, but should be better than Bush.

Just need the salaries to work out. Maybe a trade around Stepan, depends on how Buffalo sees Stepan and whether they want to carry his salary next season (unlike Bogo he's got one year remaining). Stepan sucks, but Buffalo could see him as an option given their current centers outside of Eichel suck too.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He requested a trade from Winnipeg, so unlikely the Jets are looking for an oft-injured malcontent.

Less then zero interest in Bogo to the Jets, he’s way over paid for what he is now which is a fragile bottom pairing D. Jets don’t need any help on the bottom pairing.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I could see Arizona interested. They kinda need a physical #5/6 right shot defenseman. Bogo sucks, but should be better than Bush.

Just need the salaries to work out. Maybe a trade around Stepan, depends on how Buffalo sees Stepan and whether they want to carry his salary next season (unlike Bogo he's got one year remaining). Stepan sucks, but Buffalo could see him as an option given their current centers outside of Eichel suck too.

As someone who hasn’t followed Arizona in recent years I thought you were out of your mind prior to looking up Stepan’s stats over the last two seasons. I think you maybe on to something though as both players are struggling former highly touted prospects that have performed at a high level for limited periods of time and fell off sooner than one would think. It’s a classic change of scenery hockey trade in that sense. I don’t think Bogo is seen as being much better than he is.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Stepan's extra year 100% kills that idea. The Sabres are gonna need the cap space we have coming free this summer to re-sign players who don't suck.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
As someone who hasn’t followed Arizona in recent years I thought you were out of your mind prior to looking up Stepan’s stats over the last two seasons. I think you maybe on to something though as both players are struggling former highly touted prospects that have performed at a high level for limited periods of time and fell off sooner than one would think. It’s a classic change of scenery hockey trade in that sense. I don’t think Bogo is seen as being much better than he is.
Yeah, agreed. It's a change of scenery type of move and Buffalo could be hoping Stepan rediscovers something.
Stepan's extra year 100% kills that idea. The Sabres are gonna need the cap space we have coming free this summer to re-sign players who don't suck.
Yeah. Like I said, it depends on how they see him. As far as having cap space for summer for guys who don't suck, well we've seen how that goes more often than not. Stepan with that one extra year is much better than Okposo v2.0 with 5 extra years. So good luck finding those. Not that it's an excuse to waste 6.5 on Stepan, but like I said they could see him as someone who does at least something for them and gives depth unlike Bogo apparently.

edit: looking at their cap for next season, they have ~35M cap space and the only relevant players to sign are Reinhart, Oloffson and Montour. It shouldn't be a huge issue if they think they can improve their club now for essentially nothing.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would Anisimov for Bogosian hold any intrigue?

Alternately, I would do Tierney + Boedker for Bogosian + 2nd (and maybe another medium asset)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, agreed. It's a change of scenery type of move and Buffalo could be hoping Stepan rediscovers something.

Yeah. Like I said, it depends on how they see him. As far as having cap space for summer for guys who don't suck, well we've seen how that goes more often than not. Stepan with that one extra year is much better than Okposo v2.0 with 5 extra years. So good luck finding those. Not that it's an excuse to waste 6.5 on Stepan, but like I said they could see him as someone who does at least something for them and gives depth unlike Bogo apparently.

edit: looking at their cap for next season, they have ~35M cap space and the only relevant players to sign are Reinhart, Oloffson and Montour. It shouldn't be a huge issue if they think they can improve their club now for essentially nothing.

We have our own RFAs and UFAs to sign. Reinhart's probably getting 6.5-7MM, Olofsson won't be cheap either. Montour's gonna get a pay raise. Ullmark might be in line for a sizeable raise if he continues to succeed in the starter's role he's taken over. Larsson and Girgensons both need contracts (I'd figure them in between $2-3MM each). Plus, Pilut and Mittelstadt are RFAs, too. They're probably in line more for bridge deals than anything else at this point, but there's a lot of season left.

I'm not risking losing any of those guys to have Stepan sitting there eating $6.5MM of space.

Edit: Not to mention that doesn't even work for our cap this year. We can't afford to add salary in any trade.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
We have our own RFAs and UFAs to sign. Reinhart's probably getting 6.5-7MM, Olofsson won't be cheap either. Montour's gonna get a pay raise. Ullmark might be in line for a sizeable raise if he continues to succeed in the starter's role he's taken over. Larsson and Girgensons both need contracts (I'd figure them in between $2-3MM each). Plus, Pilut and Mittelstadt are RFAs, too. They're probably in line more for bridge deals than anything else at this point, but there's a lot of season left.

I'm not risking losing any of those guys to have Stepan sitting there eating $6.5MM of space.

Edit: Not to mention that doesn't even work for our cap this year. We can't afford to add salary in any trade.
Yes. Those first 3 players I mentioned too will probably make something between 15-20M. The rest? Ulmark needs to go on a massive run to make more than 2-3M next year. Larsson and Girgensons are dime in a dozen grinders who are lucky to make 2M/yr. Pilut and Mittelstadt are lucky to be in the NHL and make 1M/yr.

It certainly works for your cap now with the LTIRs, although if those come back(?) some moves would be necessary. But that's the case now too. Maybe you could get Arizona retaining ~1.4M to make salaries even, which would help a bit next season too.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's the value on Bogosian?
Can't get much more than what Del Zotto or Schenn got last year, you figure. A 4th or a 5th round pick?
If he truly wants out, I say Buffalo opts for a reclamation project with higher NHL potential than a late pick.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yes. Those first 3 players I mentioned too will probably make something between 15-20M. The rest? Ulmark needs to go on a massive run to make more than 2-3M next year. Larsson and Girgensons are dime in a dozen grinders who are lucky to make 2M/yr. Pilut and Mittelstadt are lucky to be in the NHL and make 1M/yr.

It certainly works for your cap now with the LTIRs, although if those come back(?) some moves would be necessary. But that's the case now too. Maybe you could get Arizona retaining ~1.4M to make salaries even, which would help a bit next season too.

Not gonna lie, I just noticed your user name and thought "why is Zach Bogosian on HF, responding to my posts?" :laugh:

I think your evaluations of those players are a little off. Larsson and Girgensons are excellent at their roles. Pilut should be in the NHL right now. Mittelstadt shouldn't be, but he is, so he's probably getting more than the two-way contract he ought to.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Not gonna lie, I just noticed your user name and thought "why is Zach Bogosian on HF, responding to my posts?" :laugh:

I think your evaluations of those players are a little off. Larsson and Girgensons are excellent at their roles. Pilut should be in the NHL right now. Mittelstadt shouldn't be, but he is, so he's probably getting more than the two-way contract he ought to.
I mean, they can be "excellent" at their roles but career 20 point players ultimately shouldn't have much leverage. I can see a world where someone overpays for a guy like that close to 3M but it shouldn't happen. Maybe Pilut should be in the NHL but he isn't. They are both currently borderline NHLers who should never get more than 1M.

My point simply was that if Buffalo management thought a swap like that would benefit them and give them veteran center depth this season as well as next, I don't think that extra year would be a deal killer. Especially if the cap hit came down at Bogo level via slight retain by Arizona.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Don't think he did. I fact, I recall him being choked up over being dealt. He was loving living in St Adolphe and he was enjoying the outdoor lifestyle.

It's been widely speculated that the jets wanted to move him for reasons not pertaining to his on ice play and the Sabres gm at the time liked him since his draft year.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I mean, they can be "excellent" at their roles but career 20 point players ultimately shouldn't have much leverage. I can see a world where someone overpays for a guy like that close to 3M but it shouldn't happen. Maybe Pilut should be in the NHL but he isn't. They are both currently borderline NHLers who should never get more than 1M.

My point simply was that if Buffalo management thought a swap like that would benefit them and give them veteran center depth this season as well as next, I don't think that extra year would be a deal killer. Especially if the cap hit came down at Bogo level via slight retain by Arizona.
Larsson is definitely good enough to justify 3M not that productive offensively but shuts down pretty much anyone he's playing against and is having his best offensive season atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad