Dreger: Zach Bogosian has requested a trade

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Bogo realizes he needs to play in order to even get an NHL contract offer next year.

Then he was a healthy scratch.

I seriously doubt he’s even in the league next year.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Bogosian doesn't so much as suck as he's broken. He's serviceable when healthy.
He's been put into the line-up 3 times since requesting the trade and has been so bad he was sat for the entire 3rd period last game. He was directly at fault for a goal against in each game. He generates nothing offensively and he's terrible defensively. And he can barely skate anymore. He might be able to carve out a Luke Schenn depth role for a few more years but he's basically done.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's been put into the line-up 3 times since requesting the trade and has been so bad he was sat for the entire 3rd period last game. He was directly at fault for a goal against in each game. He generates nothing offensively and he's terrible defensively. And he can barely skate anymore. He might be able to carve out a Luke Schenn depth role for a few more years but he's basically done.

Yup. Bogo's trash.Mind boggling that they're putting him in games when (1) we have a far superior Miller sitting in the press box, and (2) he doesn't even want to be here.
The Sabres need to stop wasting their time with this clown. Forget "showcasing" him for a trade, he's costing us points. If his agent can find a taker before the TDL, cool; if not, he can sit in the press box all year.

Last edited:

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo

Ok, he's been bad since he got back. But generally, he's not as bad as people say. None of the whipping boys on this board are as bad as people say. When trading for a player, do you think a GM will only look at the recent games? No. He's not THAT bad. Is he good? No. But he's not trash. Oh, I'm sorry. Am I allowed to not be negative here?

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Bogosian is complete and utter trash right now. The Sabres had a good little thing going with a D of Risto/Miller/Montour/Joki/Dahlin/Scandella. They start to lose when McCabe and Bogosian are put back in the lineup and McCabe and Risto are inexplicably paired together. It makes no sense.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Question is whether any of the league's 30 other GMs are willing to dumpster dive for a D. You know, sometimes maybe you're hungry enough to eat food out of the trash. But usually not.

Normally, I would say Winnipeg, but Cheveldayoff has a level of patience that is unparalleled in the NHL. He'll just keep playing his AHL fodder until Buff is ready.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He is an upgrade over half the Wings D-core right now.

Well, if you're interested... Bogo, in addition to kind of being an NHL defenseman, is also a quality veteran leader to have around during a rebuild. Source: look how good it worked for the Sabres when he was wearing an "A".

Wait. Shit. This is why I don't work in sales. :laugh:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
This guy is a big disappointment, drafted third in 2008. Nobody ever expected him to be a huge scorer or anything, he was seen mainly as big guy who would lock down your d-zone. Not sure if he ever even did that particularly well. Pair that to all of his injuries and well... Was this the last gasp of the 'gotta draft BIG' movement from the 90's? Luke Schenn was fifth and Pietroangelo fourth but he turned out be an excellent player.

EK 15th and John Carlson 27th. Very poor year otherwise, other than Stamkos and Doughty. Bailey has been useful for a 9th as well.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
This guy is a big disappointment, drafted third in 2008. Nobody ever expected him to be a huge scorer or anything, he was seen mainly as big guy who would lock down your d-zone. Not sure if he ever even did that particularly well. Pair that to all of his injuries and well... Was this the last gasp of the 'gotta draft BIG' movement from the 90's? Luke Schenn was fifth and Pietroangelo fourth but he turned out be an excellent player.

EK 15th and John Carlson 27th. Very poor year otherwise, other than Stamkos and Doughty. Bailey has been useful for a 9th as well.

Dylan Mcilrath would be the last example of the go big movement that I can remember

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Ok, he's been bad since he got back. But generally, he's not as bad as people say. None of the whipping boys on this board are as bad as people say. When trading for a player, do you think a GM will only look at the recent games? No. He's not THAT bad. Is he good? No. But he's not trash. Oh, I'm sorry. Am I allowed to not be negative here?

There are many whipping boys that are not as bad as people say. You're backing the wrong one here. You're allowed to make an incorrect assessment of a player I guess, negative or positive.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
he's been a flop for the sabres, too many injuries. honestly may be decent rental for a warm weather team, higher temperatures may keep him limber.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not saying there is a deal, but there may be some combo of win win where drek for drek or underperforming for likewise can happen.

You guys not thrilled w/Vesey, we can consider taking him back.
Just haven't thought all options thru.
Also, Lias Anderssen is now on the block, presumably cheap.
Inexpensive add for a deal that helps Rangers w/cap?

For the right price, a guy like Buch could be included

thoughts?

Not sure what you are proposing. Bogosian and Vesey for...?

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Bogosian wasn't supposed to be back until January, maybe he rushed back because he is worried about his future in the NHL, and that's why he's been so bad, (Not that he was ever, exactly good)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not sure what you are proposing. Bogosian and Vesey for...?

holidays, etc stuff still haven't formulated a final offer.
not being coy, just busy

You got guys you wanna move. So do I.
Correct if I am wrong, nothing should be ignored, but your immediate focus is competing better, now. Rangers also want that sooner than later, but to get there are more open to deals that create more cap flexibility.

Off the top of my head, one variation [feel free to suggest others] is:

NYR wanna move Skjei 5.25 x 5 b'c of his term + fact they have/have upcoming emerging elc LDs. BOGO is $ close 5.142,867, but expiring, not term. Although Skjei's history is he does well in correct system/w correct partner, and I could see him fit w/you guys (chemistry is a real but fragile thing), BUF deserves something for taking on the cap, but that has to reflect that Skjei is simply not a given. While he is not a stud, he is 25 and his deal ends at 30. He should be valued as Skjei, not Seabrook.

That something could be expanding to include both:
Buch 3.25 x 2 for Vesey 2.275 expiring and Girgensons 1.6 also expiring for Lias Anderssen $894,166 current elc.

Quick ballpark on all that math is:
a tad under 9.4 from Rangers
for 9.0+ from Sabres

you would save on Lias [due to suspended status] until he reports.

Buch who you should be able to keep reasonable after next season, is a big upgrade on Vesey
Girgensons is not gonna be better than 3C at best.
Lias only has a motor. Highly doubt he turns into, best case scenario, another Habs' Gallagher, who supposedly has no physical talent yet puts many to shame.
But worst case is LA is a cheap miss, or 4th liner.

So basically it is a cap move, but Sabes get some value for their pieces and in exchange Rangers get structural cap which helps w/extending Kreider or other flexibility.

there may be other doable scenarios, but this what comes to mind...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Wait, what? The 2008 draft was very good especially on defense.

Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Josi, Eberle, Carlson, Nyquist,Stepan, Bailey, Myers, Spurgeon, Boedker, Myers, Henrique, Wilson,MDZ,Hamonic, Gardiner,Atkinson, Holtby, Scandella, Brodie, Schultz, Markstrom, Allen among others.

It isn't a 2003 or 2015 level draft but 08 blows 07 out of the water. I think the 2008 was above average.

Reactions: Altimus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad