Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To LA
Zach Bogosian
Ryan Johnson

To Buffalo
Tyler Toffoli - 50% Retention
2020 4th round pick (Calgary pick)

Buffalo sheds salary, brings in a winger they need, and keep their 1st round pick + Mittelstadt so they can go after a big acquisition. They also get a pick back to balance out the value.

Kings get that 1st round pick in Johnson they wouldn’t likely get for Toffoli, and can also retain on Bogosian and trade him for additional pick/prospect.

Quality proposal. I'm intrigued.

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
The thing is I dont know why Buffalo would trade Bogosian as a cap dump unless there's another trade in the works that requires Buffalo to need more cap space. Buffalo doesn't have to get rid of Bogosian so I dont see them giving basically a first rounder to do so. They could just bench him and let him walk next year. Yeah Toffoli would be a good add, but I dont know if Buffalo would go this route.

Now if there going to do something crazy like go after Hall and needed cap room then maybe they'd do something more drastic like this. But more then likely they're not going to give up assets to move Bogosian.

First, let'd be clear: Toffoli is already worth a second at the deadline (maybe/probably -- at least a third, I'd think). Moving last year's pick #31 for him is not the worst trade of the year by itself.

Now throw in getting a fourth back.

Now throw in $3M in cap space at the deadline to get something done. Suddenly you can entertain another second/third line forward if they're available -- it's not all about Hall. Toffoli and the right $3M pickup at the deadline could pretty well complete your four line structure.

Now consider that Ryan Johnson is stepping into a deep young D pool in Buffalo -- nobody is banking on his development to save our blueline's future. Not even close.

It's not just a first and Bogosian for nothing here. All together, the four assets strike a balance.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I could see a contender picking him up for depth as a rental, but Buffalo would have to eat at least half of the salary.

Otherwise, I could see a bottom feeder with Cap Space take him, along with something like a 3rd in exchange for a 7th because he has negative value with his contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
First, let'd be clear: Toffoli is already worth a second at the deadline (maybe/probably -- at least a third, I'd think). Moving last year's pick #31 for him is not the worst trade of the year by itself.

Now throw in $3M in cap space at the deadline to get something done. Suddenly you can entertain another second/third line forward if they're available -- it's not all about Hall. Toffoli and the right $3M pickup at the deadline could pretty well complete your four line structure.

Now consider that Ryan Johnson is stepping into a deep young D pool in Buffalo -- nobody is banking on his development to save our blueline's future. Not even close.

It's not just a first and Bogosian for nothing here. All together, the four assets strike a balance.

Togolli isn’t what buffalo needs

The deal is one sided.

Toffoli st the deadline gets a late 2nd at best from a playoff team and buffalo sends a pkayer just drafted in the 1st and Bogosian. That’s on the level of Toronto unloading Marleau to Carolina because buffalo would have already paid half Bogo salary by end of the month.

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Togolli isn’t what buffalo needs

The deal is one sided.

Toffoli st the deadline gets a late 2nd at best from a playoff team and buffalo sends a pkayer just drafted in the 1st and Bogosian. That’s on the level of Toronto unloading Marleau to Carolina because buffalo would have already paid half Bogo salary by end of the month.

This is nothing like the Marleau deal. We're getting a contributor that we need in return and a pick that makes up a good part of the difference in value. If Toffoli is worth a 2nd, as you said, a 2nd plus a 4th plus $3M in cap space is certainly worth pick #31.

Toffoli is one of the things Buffalo needs. Their RW is weak in the middle six and we lack physicality in general. He's not the biggest need, but he's certainly one of them.

Cap space is another thing Buffalo needs if they want to address any other need later this season. If you can get that by giving away a useless player rather than a contributor, you take it. Suddenly you can consider a move to try and get a 2C at the deadline, say, without giving up a guy like Risto, who is playing quite well.

Ryan Johnson is the most valuable single piece, but not actually a thing Buffalo needs. Buffalo could have an elite defensive core with a little development and contract management.

It's a balance.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
idk why buffalo fans are pumped when noone wants him and he lowered his value

Because Sabres fans know that when a player who's injured as often and plays as poorly as Bogosian has demands a trade, the most likely scenario involves him being waived and loaned to a random AHL team that isn't Rochester.

He hasn't shown that he should be guaranteed a spot over other players on defense, and comes off as entitled and not a team player for making a trade demand in the face of that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Because Sabres fans know that when a player who's injured as often and plays as poorly as Bogosian has demands a trade, the most likely scenario involves him being waived and loaned to a random AHL team that isn't Rochester.

He hasn't shown that he should be guaranteed a spot over other players on defense, and comes off as entitled and not a team player for making a trade demand in the face of that.
yeah you can always bury him the thing is id rather have him on ltir . having a direct trade request is just negative for them

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
yeah you can always bury him the thing is id rather have him on ltir . having a direct trade request is just negative for them
Nobody really cares about his value at this point. Fans just want him gone. If this speeds up the process I think everyone would be happy.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Nobody really cares about his value at this point. Fans just want him gone. If this speeds up the process I think everyone would be happy.
yeah they could always dump him tho now youre probably gonna take a cap dump because asking for a trade is like bleeding in a pool of sharks .

teams will bite but they will make it hurt

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

Right, but here's what I'm saying. I think if Buffalo trades Bogosian, the worst deal they would accept is 0 value. I cant see them adding anything to him to do him a favor to trade him. So take him out of the equation. So we're looking at Toffoli@50% whos a UFA and a 4th for Johnson that was just drafted in the 1st round. The only reason I see Buffalo would consider this is thier desperate for cap space to make another trade. With all of the signings Buffalo needs to do this off season, there's a better then average chance Toffoli will be gone at the end of the season. And when next year starts all it will look like is Buffalo traded a kid drafted in the first round for a 4th.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
yeah they could always dump him tho now youre probably gonna take a cap dump because asking for a trade is like bleeding in a pool of sharks .

He's a pending UFA. His contract doesn't really hurt. Since so many teams are tight against the cap, I think the most likely scenario has us taking back a player with a similar cap hit, but there's no way in hell the Sabres are giving away free assets to get rid of Bogosian when we can just wait until the end of the season.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

Or Buffalo can keep him and tell him he'll play when they tell him to play. It's not like he has years left on his contract. And IF Buffalo makes the playoffs, it doesn't hurt to have a rugged bottom pairing d man. Or they could put him on waivers and see if a team bites.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Or Buffalo can keep him and tell him he'll play when they tell him to play. It's not like he has years left on his contract. And IF Buffalo makes the playoffs, it doesn't hurt to have a rugged bottom pairing d man. Or they could put him on waivers and see if a team bites.
hmm playing a guy that doesnt want to is an interesting thing but it may not work

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
hmm playing a guy that doesnt want to is an interesting thing but it may not work

I think if it came down to it, and his choice was to play or sit the bench, he'd rather play. IMO Buffalo has paid him 20 million to not play much hockey the last 4 years. They dont owe him a damn thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad