Zac Rinaldo (2013-14 season) -- Update Apr. 7, 2014: Suspended four games

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He should just say he was leaping to avoid contact. Shanny loves that excuse.

Though seriously, those comments make it sound like he struggles to control himself.

Yeah, I listened to the quotes again and he also was couching as "this always happens to me" and not something more like, "I keep messing up." I get what he was saying, but he made it sound like he's not really responsible because he can't control himself or whatever. I still think those comments get him off a little easier.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
3 games at least. maybe 4.
I would be shocked if Akeson is called up. they will use McGinn even tho he hasn't done a thing to warrant it.

Eh, he's been ok. His most recent outings weren't anything to write home about, but he's got a couple goals on the season. Everyone loves Akeson around here, but there's gotta be a reason why he is repeatedly passed over (defense is my guess). I don't think you want to call up a guy that can't play defense or forecheck to play on the 4th line. At least with Rinaldo he's going to try to do that and if nothing else disrupt play by hitting dudes.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Eh, he's been ok. His most recent outings weren't anything to write home about, but he's got a couple goals on the season. Everyone loves Akeson around here, but there's gotta be a reason why he is repeatedly passed over (defense is my guess). I don't think you want to call up a guy that can't play defense or forecheck to play on the 4th line. At least with Rinaldo he's going to try to do that and if nothing else disrupt play by hitting dudes.

I wasnt aware that Rinaldo forechecked or played defense. He does hit people, at least lately. But he should be focusing more on moving the puck up the ice and take advantage of his speed.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Rinaldo suspended 4 games

From the NHL:

NEW YORK -- Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo has been suspended for four games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Buffalo Sabres defenseman Chad Ruhwedel during NHL Game No. 1173 in Philadelphia on Sunday, April 6, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 4:29 of the third period. Rinaldo was assessed a match penalty for illegal check to the head.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Rinaldo will forfeit $15,384.60. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=597553&lang=en.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yep about right. Bad decision by Rinaldo and even he said he just couldnt control himself.

I know a few thought maybe a game, but the non-homer decision of 4 games is right. If we were on the other side we would be saying the same thing.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
No issues with that here. He plays with an edge and thats fine but he makes stupid reckless decisions to often. With that said, maybe another discussion, i prefer him over carcillo or the other scum weve had in recent years

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
No issues with that here. He plays with an edge and thats fine but he makes stupid reckless decisions to often.

Questionable hits can have a purpose but this wasn't one of those times. It was reckless and even selfish. Criticism isn't meant to pile on and he acknowledged after the game his error in judgment. At that stage of the game, the team concept should have been to nail down the win and try to secure a shutout for Mason.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
[nhl]597553[/nhl]

around 1:10 in they suggest rinaldo take a different angle and point an arrow to the chest or body....im sorry but even if he did that in my opinion it would have been a stupid chance to take.

Your winning, absolutely no reason to do it, i love checking, i love fighting...but this was stupid.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
It was a suspendable hit, that's not really up for discussion. I don't feel at all bad for the player though as he should have better protected himself. Im pretty ****in bitter about any of these conversations though after watching Brayden be taken far more maliciously into the boards twice this year without a whimper from Shanny.

This entire side for the league and game remains a complete joke either way, which is also not up for discussion.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It was stupid to begin with & even more so when looking at the clock & scoreboard.

He pulled up on a hit earlier in the game which still resulted in a charging call when the game was still in question some what but couldn't here?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Predictable statement from the Flyers:

RT @NHLFlyers: "While we view the four-game suspension to Zac [Rinaldo] harsh, we respect the league's decision." -#Flyers GM Holmgren

Copy and paste from every other suspension that's been given to a Flyer. No accountability. Disappointing.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

RT @NHLFlyers: "While we view the four-game suspension to Zac [Rinaldo] harsh, we respect the league's decision." -#Flyers GM Holmgren

Copy and paste from every other suspension that's been given to a Flyer. No accountability. Disappointing.

What did you want him to say?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Only the Flyers respond to suspensions this way?

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
They they intend to learn from a mistake. The idea of a suspension is to make sure it doesn't happen again. What they said was "Fine, whatever."

I'm not worried about other teams. Would like mine to take some initiative.

Like what??? You want him Holmgren to spank him?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm not worried about other teams. Would like mine to take some initiative.

You're asking for a culture change and you'll be waiting a long time before you see teams throw their players under the bus (unless the action is particularly egregious).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad