Zac Rinaldo (2013-14 season) -- Update Apr. 7, 2014: Suspended four games

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he gets another suspension like this next season (or god forbid in the the playoffs this season) they should definitely not resign him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're asking for a culture change and you'll be waiting a long time before you see teams throw their players under the bus (unless the action is particularly egregious).

That's not throwing him under the bus. Waiving him and sending him to the Phantoms would be throwing him under the bus. To admit he made a mistake and intends to learn from it, that's life.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
They they intend to learn from a mistake. The idea of a suspension is to make sure it doesn't happen again. What they said was "Fine, whatever."
First of all, you don't know how these things are handled internally.

Second of all, Holmgren said he thought it was harsh. Not that it didn't deserve punishment. What more do you really want him to say?

That's not throwing him under the bus. Waiving him and sending him to the Phantoms would be throwing him under the bus. To admit he made a mistake and intends to learn from it, that's life.

If you want him to say, "Zac deserved it, and he made a mistake", then, fine, but what difference does that make considering Zac already admitted himself that it was a mistake?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
First of all, you don't know how these things are handled internally.

Second of all, Holmgren said he thought it was harsh. Not that it didn't deserve punishment. What more do you really want him to say?

If you want him to say, "Zac deserved it, and he made a mistake", then, fine, but what difference does that make considering Zac already admitted himself that it was a mistake?

Shouldn't have said it was harsh. Period. Everyone knows it wasn't. These are supposed experts at PR, and that wasn't.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Shouldn't have said it was harsh. Period. Everyone knows it wasn't. These are supposed experts at PR, and that wasn't.

And what difference does it make? Again, you don't know how these things are handled internally, and that's all that matters.

Just seems like an odd thing to complain about. But some people love to complain around here, so not really all that odd, I guess.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I found this hilarious:

Good for Rinaldo. Definitely a benefit to playing on a team owned by the league. Kaleta got 10 games and banished from the league for brushing up against a guy, lol. shanadip****

:laugh: Where do these people come from?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

It's a culture where team's stand up for their players; if the Flyers say it's a fair suspension, they're going against that culture... especially if there are similar incidents that receive softer punishments (not saying that's the case here).

Like I said, you're waiting for a culture change that isn't coming in the near future.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I found this hilarious:

:laugh: Where do these people come from?

upset-jaguars-fan.gif

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
I think we should jump on this Rinaldo hate from the main boards and have "Rinaldo Unchained" playoff avatars considering he'll be back for the playoffs. :laugh:

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
around 1:10 in they suggest rinaldo take a different angle and point an arrow to the chest or body....im sorry but even if he did that in my opinion it would have been a stupid chance to take.

Your winning, absolutely no reason to do it, i love checking, i love fighting...but this was stupid.

I think the problem was that he was going for the puck initially, and that put him out of position to lay a clean body check. Once the Ruhwedel stepped in and played the puck deeper into the zone, Rinaldo has to just skate past him. If he was going to lay a clean check he had to be going for the body initially - he was just too far away from Ruhwedel's core to lay a hit. I don't think it was malicious; Rinaldo is just a bull in a china shop and his mindset is to hit everybody at every time, which is going to get him into trouble in cases like this or if a player is a few feet from the boards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rinaldo is brain dead, he's never going to change, if he was, at this point in his career he'd have stopped taking so many stupid penalties just to prove that he's a "tough guy," this ain't the macho man Olympics, this is NHL hockey, and if you lack skills other than skating and agitating, well, you'd better be a smart agitator and know HOW to play dirty (i.e., don't get caught) and WHEN to make a point (there are times when a penalty is worth taking, protecting a teammate, when you're 3 goals down in the 1st period and the team is asleep, etc.).

Rinaldo has no clue, and Berube isn't doing his team any favors by looking the other way at blatant stupidity - this team takes way too many bad penalties, and the Coach has to take responsibility - if there are no repercussions for stupidity that hurts the team, then players will continue to be stupid.

Discipline does not mean "nice," it means studying refs as well as other teams and understanding what you can and can't get away, pushing right up against that line but never over, and avoiding bad penalties that put your team in a hole.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
:laugh::laugh::laugh:at all the Rinaldo hate going on here just makes me :laugh::laugh::laugh: cause awhile back everyone was:handclap::handclap: him up:laugh::laugh:

Huh? Where? Because on here the ones that cant stand his antics have always disliked him and those who enjoy that stuff like him. It had been consistently the same people on both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->