Armored Train
Asked

Answered

Asked

Answered
and finally

Deflect
Well done

I'm not wrong. Rinaldo's impact is minimal because his ice time is minimal.

Oh, and you might want to go back and check GKJ's post. He's not even best on the team at drawing penalties, so that ability was overblown, much like his ability to terrify other teams into changing how they play.

Last edited:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If Rinaldo could PK at all, I think people would feel a lot better about him on the roster. However, because he can't, the Flyers are forced to carry another defense first forward (Hall) who while I like, certainly restricts the ability to truly roll 4 lines.

As soon as we needed a goal yesterday, the 4th line was entirely abandoned and LeCavalier was moved up to the 2nd line again. A little more versatility on the 4th line wings would make that less necessary.

To me, I'd ideally like to see Raffl - Laughton (or LeCavalier) - Rasmussen (or something similar) as a 4th line. That's the kind of skill diversity that plays two-ways.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, that's just flat out wrong. Rinaldo was very good at drawing penalties last year (second in the league at 3.2 per 60), but has been nowhere near as good this year at just 1.4.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Never understood the Rinaldo hate. He's a popular guy in the locker room and a pain in the ass if you're the other team. I just don't understand why some haven't grasp the concept of what his role on the team is. He's just an energy agitating forward. As Brian Engblom said, He's a one man forecheck. He works hard and busts his ass. I appreciate that regardless of what limitations of skill he has which is overblown by his detractors around here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Never understood the Rinaldo hate. He's a popular guy in the locker room and a pain in the ass if you're the other team. I just don't understand why some haven't grasp the concept of what his role on the team is. He's just an energy agitating forward. As Brian Engblom said, He's a one man forecheck. He works hard and busts his ass. I appreciate that regardless of what limitations of skill he has which is overblown by his detractors around here.

:laugh:

Giroux is a one man forecheck. Rinaldo? Not so much, as evidenced by his being by far the worst offensive player on the team. The Flyers produce less than 1 goal per 60 minutes when Rinaldo is on the ice.

I know exactly what Rinaldo is. He's a one dimensional player who gets overrated because his one dimension is flashy and fun to watch when it works. Other than that, he's easily replaceable because as far as 4th liners go, he just isn't very good. I want to see this team as a Cup contender. To do that we're likely gonna need to be able to roll 4 lines. That's not possible with Rinaldo on the team, he is seriously that bad at hockey-things not related to running into players.

Once more, not sure how much of a pain in the ass he can be. He doesn't PK, he isn't good defensively, he's not an offensive threat, and he plays less than 8 minutes a night, generally against poor competition. So I guess there are a few shifts where the opponent's bottom 6 might get hit a few times, and that's about it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Once more, not sure how much of a pain in the ass he can be. He doesn't PK, he isn't good defensively, he's not an offensive threat, and he plays less than 8 minutes a night, generally against poor competition. So I guess there are a few shifts where the opponent's bottom 6 might get hit a few times, and that's about it.
I don't know if that's entirely true, to be honest. He's made a number of really good backchecking jobs, for one. And while I haven't been paying that close of an attention to his defensive play in general, he never stood out to me in a bad way, it seems.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd love to have Zac as the 13th forward next year, and a real 4th line with Hall, Laughton and someone else playing most of the games.

Waive Rosehill.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One thing about Rinaldo is you cant question his go. He does ply defense and back checks pretty well because he is always on the move.

Most teams like to have an energy line that will go and work as a unit and put forth a good forecheck. That's what the 4th line will do. You can not role four scoring lines and not have some sand paper in the lineup, do we want to be the Oilers? The energy to some fans might not be important but coaches and GM's seem to really appreciate what these guys do. They work their ***** off down below the goal line and will put their bodies on the line to help make a play. It gives the bench energy when that line goes out there and keeps the puck in the offensive zone.

I don't know why people constantly want us to ice 4 forward lines that are going to be all scoring lines. It generally doesn't work for a reason, you need players that help wear down the d and work hard in all areas. Hall and Rinaldo are perfect examples of this type of work.

Rosehill can go play for the Phantoms.

Rinaldo's effort and dedication are probably one of the reasons he still remains on the team. They are things you don't teach and even though he takes dumb penalties because he crosses the line sometimes, it's bound to happen with players like him. He isn't the most skilled but nobody has ever questioned his effort, which is why I do not mind him getting out there for the 4th line shift.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Four scoring? No. But many teams in the NHL are going towards a 3 scoring lines and a 4th line defensive line. The one line that would go out fight and hit is slowing dieing off as the game continues to change. One dimensional players are starting to get scratched while multidimensional guys are starting to become more of the norm.

You can have that guy that flys around and hits hard. The difference is many teams are employing those type of players that also pk, score some goals, win faceoffs, etc etc

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was a hit or two last night by Rinaldo that lead to a big scoring chance upon which the Flyers failed to capitalize. Guy's useless though, right? :sarcasm:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's useless at producing points. If he could even score 10 a season he would be a much more valuable player.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's useless at producing points. If he could even score 10 a season he would be a much more valuable player.

I'm just razzing, trying to stoke the fires on this boring Friday at the office. I like Rinaldo, but I get what people complain about. I just don't necessarily agree.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like Rinaldo, but look at a team like Anahiem.

Their 4th line C has 47 points and plays on the PP. then they have some guy named Maroon who has 25 points in 56 games...including 10 in his last 10 games.

THAT is a good 4th line.

And yes, I know who Maroon is and was.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I like Rinaldo, but look at a team like Anahiem.

Their 4th line C has 47 points and plays on the PP. then they have some guy named Maroon who has 25 points in 56 games...including 10 in his last 10 games.

THAT is a good 4th line.

And yes, I know who Maroon is and was.

Bonino is not Anahiem's fourth line center. He played on Getzlaf and Perry's wing just one game ago.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, there's no rule that the 4th line should be devoid of talent.

a team like the Ducks can roll 4 lines for 60(or more) minutes. Can the Flyers? I don't think they can. not for a whole game anyway.
I prefer guys on the 4th line that can play hockey. having a guy who only serves one purpose(and this isn't necessarily directed at Rinaldo) isn't very smart.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bonino is not Anahiem's fourth line center. He played on Getzlaf and Perry's wing just one game ago.

Boudreau shuffles his lines like crazy outside of a few players like Getzlaf & Perry. Maroon & Bonino usually either find themselves as guys who get thrown around up & down the lineup.

Maroon's most common linemate is Perreault who's their second line center. Bonino is Palmieri who's in their top 9.

Getzlaf, Perreault, Koivu, & Rakell are currently their centers in that order.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ricard Rakell seems like a fake name. Wow, he's actually a first round pick.

We would be so much better off with a guy like Palmeri on the 4th line wing than a guy like Rinaldo. He's another first rounder.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
This was literally taken from their board from the other nights game:

Bonino - Getzlaf - Perry
Maroon - Perreault - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Palmieri - Rakell - Beleskey

That is such an underwhelming group of forwards for an elite team to have.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This was literally taken from their board from the other nights game:

Bonino - Getzlaf - Perry
Maroon - Perreault - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Palmieri - Rakell - Beleskey

I stand corrected that was the pre-game predicted lineup's, this was the actual lineup:

Bonino - Getzlaf - Perry
Maroon - Perreault - Palmieri
Cogliano - Koivu - Silfverberg
Beleskey - Rakell - Selanne

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ricard Rakell seems like a fake name. Wow, he's actually a first round pick.

We would be so much better off with a guy like Palmeri on the 4th line wing than a guy like Rinaldo. He's another first rounder.

I got the lineup wrong, he was in the top 6 that game. He's one of those guys who gets moved up & down the lineup as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad