Yzerman's Mistakes so Far (In Your Own Eyes)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
to be fair to Raty I do have an incredibly scientific argument that he's probably gonna be a hall of fame level guy

every time I read his name I think that he sounds like a pokemon and the only other guy i've ever thought that about* was Kopitar so they'll be equally good

*disclaimer I know like zero pokemon names past the first 2 gens so maybe i'd think that about more guys if that wasn't the case

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's interesting that you read these message boards but somehow forget Kasper started out the year coming back from an injury with no camp while playing the third line, while Raty is playing 1st/2nd line in Abbotsford.

The bolded is just...dumb. He's bigger so he has more NHL potential? Let's forget the fact that Raty dropped like a stone at the draft due to his hockey sense and his feet being subpar. But hey, let's focus on him having a few more points in the most offensive division in the AHL than Kasper while being one and a half years older.

Whatever, we'll see. I bet you were big on Cholo and Zadina too, lol.

I don't think Raty or Kasper will play on the top 2 lines in the NHL, but Raty will be a better 3rd liner than Kasper. He's better suited for the role. Size isn't the end all, but Kasper's below average size.

Robertson also dropped at the draft, Veleno did as well. So it doesn't mean much, Raty could fall somewhere in between those 2. Probably closer to Joey. Meanwhile the aforementioned Zadina and Cholo were picked much higher.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021

I don't think Raty or Kasper will play on the top 2 lines in the NHL, but Raty will be a better 3rd liner than Kasper. He's better suited for the role. Size isn't the end all, but Kasper's below averagesize.

Robertson also dropped at the draft, Veleno did as well. So it doesn't mean much, Raty could fall somewhere in between those 2. Probably closer to Joey. Meanwhile the aforementioned Zadina and Cholo were picked much higher.
lol wut? kasper is listed as 6'1" 192 while raty's 6'2" 187

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
This Edmonton game is a great example of how the only thing that matters when rebuilding is high end talent. Red Wings depth outplays Edmonton 80% of the game, and the only thing Detroit has to show for it is our best players getting absolutely dominated by Edmonton's

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This Edmonton game is a great example of how the only thing that matters when rebuilding is high end talent. Red Wings depth outplays Edmonton 80% of the game, and the only thing Detroit has to show for it is our best players getting absolutely dominated by Edmonton's

Seem to be forgetting that one of their talents is a top 5-10 player All Time level player. Even if we drafted 1st OA the year Raymond was picked, we pick Lafreniere as pretty much anyone at 1 would have. In hindsight we should have picked Hughes over Zadina, but other than that, what other anywhere close to McDavid level players did we miss out on with our top picks? I agree you need high end skill, but in the years we drafted high, there haven't been many we could have taken that have us better, with where we drafted. We could have tried to tank last season, no guarantee at all we get Bedard, so not sure what else we were supposed to do with our draft spots.

Vegas won the Cup last year and they have 0 Elite players as Eichel is not elite at all. He is barely pt a game player for his career which is very good, but not elite. Stone is great defensively, but not elite offensively. St. Louis also recently won a Cup and they also had no one you would call elite.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Seem to be forgetting that one of their talents is a top 5-10 player All Time level player. Even if we drafted 1st OA the year Raymond was picked, we pick Lafreniere as pretty much anyone at 1 would have. In hindsight we should have picked Hughes over Zadina, but other than that, what other anywhere close to McDavid level players did we miss out on with our top picks? I agree you need high end skill, but in the years we drafted high, there haven't been many we could have taken that have us better, with where we drafted. We could have tried to tank last season, no guarantee at all we get Bedard, so not sure what else we were supposed to do with our draft spots.

Vegas won the Cup last year and they have 0 Elite players as Eichel is not elite at all. He is barely pt a game player for his career which is very good, but not elite. Stone is great defensively, but not elite offensively. St. Louis also recently won a Cup and they also had no one you would call elite.
I don't disagree with you at the fact that there weren't elite players to be had where Detroit drafted in the 1st round, and they've actually done great in the 1st round in hindsight (terrible outside of the 1st round). My point is that they have been rebuilding for 6 years and the core of Larkin/Seider/Raymond/Debrincat is nowhere close to being a contender. Vegas and St. Louis both had at least 3 players who would be the best player on Detroit, in addition to having way better depth and way better goaltending. Sure this team might make the playoffs a few times in the next few years, and its way more exciting to watch this team than the past few years, but this team is no closer to winning a cup than they were at any point in time since Datsyuk retired.

Reactions: Frobbo

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't disagree with you at the fact that there weren't elite players to be had where Detroit drafted in the 1st round, and they've actually done great in the 1st round in hindsight (terrible outside of the 1st round). My point is that they have been rebuilding for 6 years and the core of Larkin/Seider/Raymond/Debrincat is nowhere close to being a contender. Vegas and St. Louis both had at least 3 players who would be the best player on Detroit, in addition to having way better depth and way better goaltending. Sure this team might make the playoffs a few times in the next few years, and its way more exciting to watch this team than the past few years, but this team is no closer to winning a cup than they were at any point in time since Datsyuk retired.
Seems like you are forgetting about certain prospects coming up.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Forums are already obsolete. Do we have one member here under the age of 20? Just one? That would be news to me.
I’m 16. My mom registered me here the day I was born. She said, “Dear eight pound, six ounce, newborn baby jaster, in your golden, fleece diapers, with your curled-up, fat, balled-up little fists pawin' at the keyboard… may you have great success on this already-obsolete digital platform. Amen.”

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland

You can't simply go out and draft a generational player. For some reason reason only Oilers and Penguins are allowed to do this in the NHL.

We might be a slightly different team with Hughes and Stutzle instead of Zadina and Raymond. But not by much.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe the year they won the cup. Maybe. You probably greatly overrate what some of those players were like as prospects/young NHLers though.

Reactions: raymond23

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
You can't simply go out and draft a generational player. For some reason reason only Oilers and Penguins are allowed to do this in the NHL.

We might be a slightly different team with Hughes and Stutzle instead of Zadina and Raymond. But not by much.
You also win cups with depth and not with one or two strong lines and a bunch of garbage. When the playoffs start, the hits gets harder, and the checking tightens up there is a reason teams like Edmonton and Toronto fade away.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Because the cold backup goalie who has played a ton as of late that gets thrust into probably one of the top 3 offensive teams had nothing to do with the situation that happened right?

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I don't think Raty or Kasper will play on the top 2 lines in the NHL, but Raty will be a better 3rd liner than Kasper. He's better suited for the role. Size isn't the end all, but Kasper's below average size.

Que? He's 6'1" 190lb at 19yo.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Que? He's 6'1" 190lb at 19yo.
Lol, I was going to point that out, too. He’s about the exact average size for the NHL. So, he’s about an inch shorter but he’s more muscular (judging by their weights, but I could be wrong and he could just be a fatass ;))and a much better skater. I think the difference in size is pretty much a misconception.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zing! Suck on that, Steve!

Just had a video chat with Steve, there was no calming him, he was like this the whole time...

giphy.gif

Reactions: jaster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
McDavid and Draisatl are not ”high end talent”.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Why are we still talking about Raty at all?

Raty fell in his draft year for 2 reasons:

1) He played like shit
2) Teams didn’t think he had more than 3C potential

Well, #2 is looking pretty spot on at this point. And #1 was always a good reason for passing on him in my book.
Everyone knows that Stankoven >>>>>>>> Raty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad