Yzerman's Mistakes so Far (In Your Own Eyes)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman activity from last calendar year.

From February 28th 2023:

- Re-signed LD Jake Walman for 3 years
- Signed Free agent winger Alexandre Doucet
- Traded RD Filip Hronek + 4th round pick for 1st (NYI) + 2nd (VAN) round picks.
- 8-year extension for Captain Dylan Larkin
- Traded LW Jakub Vrana for 7th round pick (and retained 50% of salary)
----------------------------
- Trade for RFA Klim Kostin & Kailer Yamamoto <> future considerations
- RW Yamamoto bought out
- LW Kostin signed
- Re-signed RD Gustav Lindström
- Did add G James Reimer as UFA
- Did add RD Justin Holl as UFA
- Did add RW Daniel Sprong as UFA
- Did add G Alex Lyon as UFA
- Did add RD J.T. Compher as UFA
- Did add LD Shayne Gostisbehere as UFA
- Did add RW Christian Fischer as UFA
- RW Filip Zadina contract termination
- Traded LW Kubalik, D prospect Sebrango, 1st + 4th for LW Alex DeBrincat
------------- it took 11 off-season days from Yamamoto-trade to DeBrincat-trade
- Re-signed DeBrincat for 4 years (had 1 year left as qualifying offer, which was nullified)
- Traded RD Gustav Lindström + 4th <> RD Jeff Petry (mid-August)
- Re-signed F Joe Veleno for 1-year
- Did add RW Patrick Kane as UFA (late October)
- Signed C/LW Michael Rasmussen for 4-year extension

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still interesting to see, how Yzerman wanted all Czech guys out, no matter what the cost.

Vrana most possibly triggered something, and I highly suspect that also some others were involved. From March to July, all czechs (Hronek, Vrana, Kubalik, Zadina) were dumped out.

Hronek is still a great hockeyplayer, other three are falling out from NHL.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Still interesting to see, how Yzerman wanted all Czech guys out, no matter what the cost.

Vrana most possibly triggered something, and I highly suspect that also some others were involved. From March to July, all czechs (Hronek, Vrana, Kubalik, Zadina) were dumped out.

Hronek is still a great hockeyplayer, other three are falling out from NHL.
I don't think it is actually related to their nationality. Zadina and Vrana were pretty obvious cases, DeBrincat is times better player than Kubalik. Hronek would require a high salary rise, the return for him was good and we have a plethora of D graduating in Grand Rapids.

I believe Steve wouldn't think twice about signing Pasternak.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think it is actually related to their nationality. Zadina and Vrana were pretty obvious cases, DeBrincat is times better player than Kubalik. Hronek would require a high salary rise, the return for him was good and we have a plethora of D graduating in Grand Rapids.

I believe Steve wouldn't think twice about signing Pasternak.

Yeah, there were single reasons for all of them to trade out.

But usually, those guys with same nationality inside any team will hang on together. Some with good habits, some with bad habits, and all were thrown out in a 3-4 month period, which is very interesting.

Something probably was wrong inside the team culture, thanks to Vrana. This just smells too much of "modern Bob Probert case", to clear the wrong culture from the lockerroom and off-ice habits.

Reactions: DamonDRW and Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, there were single reasons for all of them to trade out.

But usually, those guys with same nationality inside any team will hang on together. Some with good habits, some with bad habits, and all were thrown out in a 3-4 month period, which is very interesting.

Something probably was wrong inside the team culture, thanks to Vrana. This just smells too much of "modern Bob Probert case", to clear the wrong culture from the lockerroom and off-ice habits.
Yeah, this is what it looks like to me too but idk for sure. It's sad but TONS of eastern euro's(people in-general) love South American snow when they get some money here in the States. Vrana stems from the Washington Capitals team that's... well... we all know they like to party. ( Which is fine, to an extent. )

*Vrana is really weird, he must just be a pile of a person because he's producing now in the AHL, free get for a playoff team that wants bottom six scoring but nothing... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because "earn their job" means nothing more or less than hope for injuries on the NHL roster.

Why do people here want players to wish for injuries for their teammates so they get a chance to play?

Short of taking a tire iron to a couple LD in Detroit, what is Edvinsson supposed to do to earn his job?

Ditto Berggren.
At what point does the record and level of play of the team justify the moves made to get us here?

I mean if we signed a bunch of veterans and were floundering and there was no room for rookies, I could understand being mad about that.

But that's not our situation currently. This is the most I have enjoyed watching this team in like 5+ years. And it's not like we don't have young players significantly contributing to what we are doing right now.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Looking at how they celebrate and stuff, I think the locker room atmosphere is pretty high, and has been that way most of this season.

Major contributer

Reactions: Ricelund

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
At what point does the record and level of play of the team justify the moves made to get us here?

I mean if we signed a bunch of veterans and were floundering and there was no room for rookies, I could understand being mad about that.

But that's not our situation currently. This is the most I have enjoyed watching this team in like 5+ years. And it's not like we don't have young players significantly contributing to what we are doing right now.
Let me know when you can look at our 2nd and 3rd pairing and our 1st pairing's deployment and can legitimately say "Yeah, we're looking good." Until that point, ignoring opportunities to improve is quite silly.

This should be every GM and coach's (and fans') philosophy with regards to improving.

1709134167782.gif

Last edited:

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Hronek is still a great hockey player, other three are falling out from NHL.
I think it's just a coincidence. As for hronek I was saying hed be dealt eventually cause I couldn't see yzerman paying him the contract hed want and that price only just got higher

He would have had to given raymond seider hronek big money all at the same time. Probably wouldn't have been able to have signed compher and make other moves

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let me know when you can look at our 2nd and 3rd pairing and our 1st pairing's deployment and can legitimately say "Yeah, we're looking good." Until that point, ignoring opportunities to improve is quite silly.

This should be every GM and coach's (and fans') philosophy with regards to improving.

View attachment 826640
If all those things were so bad and an issue then we wouldn’t have the record we currently do.

Reactions: izlez and SoupNazi

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You're using logic. Get out.

A rebuild cannot possibly be successful unless the roster is 100 percent under 29 (or younger, if it suits my argument, since I perpetually reserve the right to move the goalposts) and switches instantaneously from routinely acquiring generational talent through top draft picks, to immediately chasing President's Trophies.

My sample size is zero. Therefore I have infinite knowledge and must be correct during any and all debates on the interwebs.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah. The non-playing 7th defenceman is the huge mistake. Or the 3rd goalie!

It will mean that there will be great 6 other defencemen!
There's not much to choose from imo. But ya, giving that contract out for a non-playing defenceman was probably a mistake in hindsight. Never implied it was such a huge mistake that its costing the team though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We're in a wildcard spot. No reason to improve anything any further. Rebuild done.
Again, just a lack of patience on your end. We are in a playoff spot AND Seider and Raymond are just entering their primes. Edvinsson, ASP, Cossa, Danielson/Kasper/Mazur will get added to the team over the next few years.

We are a good team right now with plenty of opportunities to get better.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We don't have any players that can improve that second pairing.

Not true, I have been told if Ed was in the lineup, he would instantly dominate the NHL like no one since Bobby Orr. Only no injuries block this guy from coming up.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Again, just a lack of patience on your end. We are in a playoff spot AND Seider and Raymond are just entering their primes. Edvinsson, ASP, Cossa, Danielson/Kasper/Mazur will get added to the team over the next few years.

We are a good team right now with plenty of opportunities to get better.

will they?

I find the idea that the Wings will go from being completely unwilling to open up even a single roster spot to opening up a bunch of them kinda difficult to believe to be honest, which is something that drives a lot of my frustration with the Edvinsson situation

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
will they?

I find the idea that the Wings will go from being completely unwilling to open up even a single roster spot to opening up a bunch of them kinda difficult to believe to be honest, which is something that drives a lot of my frustration with the Edvinsson situation
They will have to because of the salary cap.

Looking at some of the rookies playing on good teams. They are not all there because they are ready. They are there because the teams have no other options than to use them.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
will they?

I find the idea that thinking the way the wings operated this year is 1) how they have always operated and 2) how they will always operate, to be very silly.

Y’all are being very overreactive to Yzerman having one summer where he signed more players than he needed to.

We have seen other players make the team at a young age.

Also once we re-sign some of our guys to bigger deals and get closer to the cap ceiling, we are literally going to need to have some players on ELC’s on the team. As pointed out in the post above.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Literally no one is saying that.
Literally? Correct.

You tell me how to interpret the following in any other way as a response to a post stating that parts of the team need to improve and that the team should always be looking to improve

"If all those things were so bad and an issue then we wouldn’t have the record we currently do."

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
will they?

Completely unwilling?

Berggren is 23. Last year, the wings had 10 players that age or younger play. This year, it hasn't worked out that way.

And if the team is consistently too good to make room for a young kid ever again, you should celebrate, not complain. Just because you get enjoyment out of watching drafted prospects play doesn't mean anyone else has to or that that is how the team should be run

Reactions: Bench

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

View attachment 826640

I feel like the standings are a better indicator... And yeah, we're looking good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00