Yzerman's Mistakes so Far (In Your Own Eyes)

RED SAVAGE STAN

Aug 19, 2022
Keeping trash too long and letting all those 10 goal games hurt the soul of the team and force him to make another mistake by start exiting the rebuild too early.

Cossa over Wallstedt

And biggest mistake for me personally is exiting the rebuild to early..... Look at all the high end talent on Colorado and Tampa. Bedard or Michkov would do way more to our goal of another 25 year run than the moral victory of being a low tier bubble team in 2023.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Keeping trash too long and letting all those 10 goal games hurt the soul of the team and force him to make another mistake by start exiting the rebuild too early.

Cossa over Wallstedt

And biggest mistake for me personally is exiting the rebuild to early..... Look at all the high end talent on Colorado and Tampa. Bedard or Michkov would do way more to our goal of another 25 year run than the moral victory of being a low tier bubble team in 2023.

I would have kept the picks to trade up and swung on cossa/stankoven/wallstat/ratu depending if/who available.

I expected SY to be more conservative but came out swinging at free agency.

Overall obv. cant say for certain these were mistakes at least until a few more years have passed

Reactions: RED SAVAGE STAN

RED SAVAGE STAN

Aug 19, 2022
I’m still not a fan of the Fabbri extension. Wouldn’t necessarily call it a mistake but letting him hit free agency was ok by me.
Agree but he could still flip him for an asset...

Edit: just checked fabbri cap hit, though he was 3 or 3.5 and then saw the 4m. Thats an anchor in this current environment. I'd put that in the mistake column for sure lol....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I personally would have drafted Wallstedt instead of Cossa. But I don't see how that can be considered a mistake when we still have no idea how either player will perform in the NHL.

For a mistake, I'd say that Leddy worked out very poorly, even if I agreed with the move at the time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Keeping trash too long

Either Bedard or Michkov isn't a quarantee.

It's the biggest mistake on your thread start. Dreaming about these, with low probablities to get either.

It's quite funny that you say "keeping trash too long" is a mistake and quess what, you should "keep trash even longer" to have abysmal team and be involved in Bedard/Michkov -hunt. Just like Hawks and Arizona are doing.

There's no logic.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Either Bedard or Michkov isn't a quarantee.

It's the biggest mistake on your thread start. Dreaming about these, with low probablities to get either.

It's quite funny that you say "keeping trash too long" is a mistake and quess what, you should "keep trash even longer" to have abysmal team and be involved in Bedard/Michkov -hunt. Just like Hawks and Arizona are doing.

There's no logic.
Bingo. Can't have it both ways. You can't complain about being trash too long and then say you're attempting to get good too fast.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

Cossa over Wallstedt

1) Gives way too much information about strategy at pressers.
2) He failed to sign AA to an eight year bonus laden contract.

Seriously, you know it is late summer when threads like this get started. People can nit-pick anything, and yes Yzerman isn't perfect. However, I would not wish to have any other GM running this franchise.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Broadly speaking, I am not sure how good our North American scouting is under Yzerman. It may be better than under Holland, but that's a really low bar. We've had some success, but will we draft elite players out of NA like we have in Europe?

I don't get too worked up about individual deals given where we are right now. Contracts are going to become more important as high quality players start getting bigger contracts. So I am waiting to see how the Larkin and Bertuzzi deals play out.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Cossa over Wallstedt

No.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Broadly speaking, I am not sure how good our North American scouting is under Yzerman. It may be better than under Holland, but that's a really low bar. We've had some success, but will we draft elite players out of NA like we have in Europe?
We have used our top pick on a Euro player 4 years in a row.

You shouldn't expect us to draft elite players out of NA like we have with Europe until we spend a high pick on a player from NA.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Agree but he could still flip him for an asset...

Edit: just checked fabbri cap hit, though he was 3 or 3.5 and then saw the 4m. Thats an anchor in this current environment. I'd put that in the mistake column for sure lol....

I love how 3.5m would be fine but 4m is an anchor... on a team that currently has 8m in cap space and damn near everyone on the roster on short term deals. Maybe next time don't just create an account to troll because you're bored at 4am.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Definitely he is and was making mistakes , but it's hard to say now, I need couple more years to see and understand that

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
how do so many people not realize that "trash" is clearly being used as a nickname for Blashill in the op after how long he was here and how many people called him things like "trashill" over the years?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If I had started a poll yesterday that asked, "What are the odds that a thread started at 4am in August would have a reasonable amount of coherence to its argument?" ....what do ya'll think the results would have been? :naughty:

Anyway, Yzerman's mistakes? None that we know of yet. Nothing I can think of has come back to bite the Wings in a meaningful way under Yzerman. Time may change that, but for now his PnL is way in the black.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
how do so many people not realize that "trash" is clearly being used as a nickname for Blashill in the op after how long he was here and how many people called him things like "trashill" over the years?
Whoever the trash is... the argument that it should have been jettisoned sooner doesn't fit with the argument that Steve's trying to improve the team too soon. Like, make up your mind, dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad