Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Max bultman The Athletic article.

Three hypothetical Red Wings trades to make them better now...

Three hypothetical trades:

- 26-year-old RhD Colin Miller (Vegas)
- Vegas needs: young prospect forwards (mentions Berggren or Svechnikov, no need for on-ice product), or draft picks.
- Detroit would get a right-handed skill defenceman.

- 25-year-old RhD Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg)
- Jets needs: proven defenceman to play at TOP4, if they lose both Trouba and Myers because of cap problems. Supposes Mike Green being that piece 50% retained. Jets also need cap space, Green with only 2.7M caphit would be ideal. Green + RhD prospect + pick would be the style of the deal.
- Red Wings would get young all-around defenceman to build around.

- 34-year-old RW Ryan Callahan (Tampa Bay)
- Tampa needs: Cap space. They could buyout Callahan, but more cap space is possible, if they can dump Callahan with a prospect to Detroit. Yzerman does a favor for his old team.
- Detroit would get some leadership to young lockerroom and a prospect which potential Yzerman knows from his old farm system.
- Callahan + prospect <> low pick -style of deal.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Max bultman The Athletic article.

Three hypothetical Red Wings trades to make them better now...

Three hypothetical trades:

- 26-year-old RhD Colin Miller (Vegas)
- Vegas needs: young prospect forwards (mentions Berggren or Svechnikov, no need for on-ice product), or draft picks.
- Detroit would get a right-handed skill defenceman.

- 25-year-old RhD Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg)
- Jets needs: proven defenceman to play at TOP4, if they lose both Trouba and Myers because of cap problems. Supposes Mike Green being that piece 50% retained. Jets also need cap space, Green with only 2.7M caphit would be ideal. Green + RhD prospect + pick would be the style of the deal.
- Red Wings would get young all-around defenceman to build around.

- 34-year-old RW Ryan Callahan (Tampa Bay)
- Tampa needs: Cap space. They could buyout Callahan, but more cap space is possible, if they can dump Callahan with a prospect to Detroit. Yzerman does a favor for his old team.
- Detroit would get some leadership to young lockerroom and a prospect which potential Yzerman knows from his old farm system.
- Callahan + prospect <> low pick -style of deal.

Trading good prospects for Colin Miller is a good thing to that guy? No thanks! If we can get a really good defender that requires good youth, it had better be someone light years ahead of Colin Miller.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trading good prospects for Colin Miller is a good thing to that guy? No thanks! If we can get a really good defender that requires good youth, it had better be someone light years ahead of Colin Miller.

Didn't surprise at all that no proposal from anybody is good for you. How was your breakfast today? Probably bad...

Nega nega negativity. Let's be negative. Let's stand pat. Let's not speculate. Let's spoil the joy of speculating.

Svechnikov and Berggren are more of lottery tickets at this point after their injuries. Colin Miller is regular NHLr = more valuable, and makes us a better team instanlty.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Didn't surprise at all that no proposal from anybody is good for you. How was your breakfast today? Probably bad...

Nega nega negativity. Let's be negative. Let's stand pat. Let's not speculate. Let's spoil the joy of speculating.

Svechnikov and Berggren are more of lottery tickets at this point after their injuries. Colin Miller is regular NHLr = more valuable, and makes us a better team instanlty.

Relax please! Not wanting Colin Miller is now just being negative negative as if he is some world beater here. Speculation is fun, when the names coming here are exciting ones, and Miller is not one of those.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I would take Colin Miller in an instant on this team. Sure, maybe he's not great, but i'll take a 26 year old 30-40 point defenseman for sure....especially at the cost of giving up barely anything (Svechnikov or Berggren).

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would take Colin Miller in an instant on this team. Sure, maybe he's not great, but i'll take a 26 year old 30-40 point defenseman for sure....especially at the cost of giving up barely anything (Svechnikov or Berggren).

- Lose a winger prospect on a Colin Miller -trade.
- Get a center prospect when taking Ryan Callahan as cap-dump (which will be solved by time).

That's one scenario of smart type of building. Yzerman did fly those guys in and out on his Tampa days.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I would 100% look into taking on Callahan's contract for some extra pieces. Give me a free Carter Verhagee or Taylor Raddysh please.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Miller
Gusev

For

Daley
Svechnikov
Saarijarvi
I'd do this, as it wouldn't gut any good prospects, Svech probably ends up a 3rd liner at best, but stranger things have happened & he is a warrior, Time will Tell. Not trading Berggren, kids got saucy moves, imagine him turning into the next LW Ray Whitney or 2C's, Cliff Ronning or Pavelski.

Reactions: hkydave04

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Miller would be a great project for us, I'm all for it. Obviously, Trouba would be massive for us. Definitely wouldn't move Hronek for him. Would gladly take Callahan on if it meant some free, valuable assets coming back to us.

Reactions: hkydave04

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Miller would be a great project for us, I'm all for it. Obviously, Trouba would be massive for us. Definitely wouldn't move Hronek for him. Would gladly take Callahan on if it meant some free, valuable assets coming back to us.
It's not free, the team will be paying his salary. That's why I said it reminds me of when teams would buy players for cash.

Callahan's actual salary is $4.7M next year, so basically the add on has to be worth $4.7M cash (minus any retention). If I owned the team, I wouldn't pay that much for anything less than a 2nd round pick (or equivalent prospect). That's quite a bit of real money.

I guess the question boils down to how much cash money is a late 2nd rounder worth?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't really have any names but I think he builds from the back end out. I think D will be the top priority. If he trades for forwards first I would honestly be disappointed. I would rather not see him take on bad contracts or pay to get rid of contracts. Just ride current bad contracts out while you work on building a core around a solid D.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Miller
Gusev

For

Daley
Svechnikov
Saarijarvi

What incentive would Vegas have to do this?
Whole lot of nothing for a top 4 defender. Sasrijarvi at this point likely never becomes a NHL regular, Daley is a dime a dozen aging bottom pair defenseman and Svechnikov is worrisome. I doubt many teams value him at a low third/late second.

As for the other ones, I’d be willing to move Green with retained salary and a Svechnikov/Berggren for Trouba if a extension is already in place. Callahan wouldn’t hurt, but money may be a hard piece to swallow for the Illitches, if it’s anything less than a Raddysh or 2nd, I think Chris I says no.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vegas has no chance to fit those guys under the CAP after the Stone 9M contract.

They are already over the cap by 100k with 12+6+1 roster.

Horton goes LTIR and that gives exra space for 5M.

But they still have to sign RFA William Karlsson (+6M) + 3 others to fill the spots.

C Karlsson ~6M
W Nosek ~1M

D 7th defenceman ~1M

G Subban ~1M

After these, Vegas is ~4M over the cap. So Miller 3.8M going out and just prospects coming in could be the cap-fitting move.

3.8M Miller
<>
Svechnikov
Saarijärvi

Gusev
<>
2nd pick
(offer-sheet value)

This would be more reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
^^ I approve, perfect trade, but how are Miller's advanced underlying #'s defensively & is he a #4 or #3 or ?

Definitely on Gusev, though I think he wants to play w/Kuch or Dadyonov

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vegas has no chance to fit those guys under the CAP after the Stone 9M contract.

They are already over the cap by 100k with 12+6+1 roster.

Horton goes LTIR and that gives exra space for 5M.

But they still have to sign RFA William Karlsson (+6M) + 3 others to fill the spots.

C Karlsson ~6M
W Nosek ~1M

D 7th defenceman ~1M

G Subban ~1M

After these, Vegas is ~4M over the cap. So Miller 3.8M going out and just prospects coming in could be the cap-fitting move.

3.8M Miller
<>
Svechnikov
Saarijärvi

Gusev
<>
2nd pick
(offer-sheet value)

This would be more reasonable.
Just because Vegas needs cap space doesn't mean they're going to sell players for nothing. There are at least 15 teams that will offer more than an injured forward prospect and an ECHL level D-man for Miller.

Also, why would they trade Gusev? Especially for a second rounder considering he lead the KHL in points by a large margin?

It's all wishful thinking that doesn't account for any other teams bidding.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
^^ I approve, perfect trade, but how are Miller's advanced underlying #'s defensively & is he a #4 or #3 or ?

Imo, he is the younger version of older-years Mike Green. #4 #5 PP defenceman. Maybe there's potential for growth defensively. Guy is +6 at last 27 playoff games and went to finals. Imo, advanced stats look so good that there's some room to regress and still be good.

Definitely on Gusev, though I think he wants to play w/Kuch or Dadyonov

Tampa Bay can't fit him under the cap either. Florida is a possibility, but Florida can also be huge after Panarin+Bobrovsky -combo. That would eat their cap.

Maybe Gusev wants to join the GM who drafted him. When others are closing doors, his drafter would open it and welcome his "own son" back with open arms.

And that man was Steve Yzerman.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Maybe Gusev wants to join the GM who drafted him. When others are closing doors, his drafter would open it and welcome his "own son" back with open arms.

And that man was Steve Yzerman.

Have you seen the thread where Gusev says that TB only saw him as an Ahl player when they traded him. Perhaps he doesn’t want to play for the GM (Yzerman) that said that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have you seen the thread where Gusev says that TB only saw him as an Ahl player when they traded him. Perhaps he doesn’t want to play for the GM (Yzerman) that said that.

Link?

2 years ago, Gusev going with AHL route as 24-year-old is nothing different than guys like Yanni Gourde or Jonathan Marchessault did.

Things have changed since. If there was no opportunity at Tampa, there's also not opportunity at Vegas thanks to Stone-signing. And there could be a great opportunity at Detroit and we can pay more than contenders.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad