Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Based on his press conference I don't see any big moves being made. I believe pick #6 is his first move as Detroit GM.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Getting a Coney dog.
And washing it down with some Lidstrom-approved refreshment:

magic-can.jpg

Reactions: plymouthmi

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
And how do you see this?

Weird feeling. Especially depending on whom is available at 6. I don't think Trouba is resigning with the Jets and his pending UFA status in a year/ current RFA really gives him some say over where he goes. Wings might not have the best package but it really depends on where he is willing to sign long term. I think with the early exit the Jets could be looking for a change and to build for the future. I could see the 6th being dangled or one of Cholo/Hronek and something else. Perhaps they dangle that to another team for a piece they want.

I can't see Peg losing Trouba and Myers so if they are going to move him, I think it's at the draft.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Weird feeling. Especially depending on whom is available at 6. I don't think Trouba is resigning with the Jets and his pending UFA status in a year/ current RFA really gives him some say over where he goes. Wings might not have the best package but it really depends on where he is willing to sign long term. I think with the early exit the Jets could be looking for a change and to build for the future. I could see the 6th being dangled or one of Cholo/Hronek and something else. Perhaps they dangle that to another team for a piece they want.

I can't see Peg losing Trouba and Myers so if they are going to move him, I think it's at the draft.
Doubtful Hronek is dangled, maybe Cholo.

Reactions: avssuc and LazyT

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Winnipeg doesn't have much RhD's to replace Trouba. Espacially if Myers will walk as UFA.

They have young lefties like Morrissey, Niku, Samberg (NCAA-guy, ready to jump in) and youngish Beaulieu, Chiarot to fill the left side.

I'm quite sure they would demand a younger righty with a cheap caphit = Hronek or Bowey.

I think I could let Hronek go in Trouba trade, because we have another options inside the organization. We just don't have the prime-entering RhD, which Trouba would be.

1.RhD Trouba
2.RhD Green
3.RhD Hronek/Bowey <---- we can let either of these go.
4.RhD Regula/Lindström <----- we can promote better of these, when Green walks 1 year after.

It would leave DeKeyser, Cholowski, McIsaac on the left side, and that's a good package.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We might as well, we already have one wide receiver.
Not getting the reference, but Glendening played HS football.

Just commenting on the Lions draft. Whatever Stevie does, it'll be better than the Lion;s draft. (Bar's set really low in Detroit)

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Not getting the reference, but Glendening played HS football.

Just commenting on the Lions draft. Whatever Stevie does, it'll be better than the Lion;s draft. (Bar's set really low in Detroit)
FSD's likened AA to a wide receiver.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If we strike out in the big names in FA (Karlsson, Panarin) I'd like to see Yzerman calling Toronto they are in cap hell and need room for Marner. I'd be willing to take Marleau off their hands for maybe a good prospect (Liljegren) + something.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we strike out in the big names in FA (Karlsson, Panarin) I'd like to see Yzerman calling Toronto they are in cap hell and need room for Marner. I'd be willing to take Marleau off their hands for maybe a good prospect (Liljegren) + something.

I am not sure why Marleau would waive his NMC. We have no indication that he doesn't still want to play and his likely coach likes using him. I don't think he is going anywhere, that reads as just fan material, the actuality on that is Bieksa in Anaheim whether they like it or not more than likely. I guess if the Leafs can talk him into it, but I see no reason for Patty Marleau to play ball, he holds all the cards.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Assuming a Trouba sign-and-trade, how would you guys feel about:

WPG: Trouba, Ehlers
DET: Hronek, Veleno, 6th OA

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks for the reply and appreciate the honesty! Happy to see The Captain back in DET and hope he has a big first summer for you guys.

To be fair I think an NHL team thinks on this for a long time. Fans overvalue young players a bit, just not sure how that fits with our window and it is a decent amount of salary added. If I knew we could cut some of the fat off our roster they could perhaps consider this.

The Wings have sort of embraced the rebuild at this point, this would mark a move towards serious playoff contention. If it came with other moves sure, but we are talking a few players being jettisoned from town, like Helm and DeKeyser. Probably one of Daley/Ericsson bought out or cleared through waivers. What would be happening if that kind of trade went down is an aggressive overhaul and I am sure people would compare it to when the Leafs went after Kessel and Phaneuf. The Wings still need to clear some cap this year and next. I disagree with those that don't think they can unload Nielsen at some point, his money actually owed is good for a budget team. While the Wings have money to play with this year and next, they are still clearing some off the books, so they need to be careful with what they do with it. While Ehlers and Trouba represent the kind of investments I am good with, they need more to justify that kind of shift from the methodical future build.

But the Wings get a lot better in that trade at the NHL level in a hurry. Ehlers fits the speed we have in this group, but you also just took the future center for these guys to play with. Athanasiou would have to stay a center and ideally you would have to clear enough cap to be in on Duchene or swing a trade for a Kadri type. It is just a lot of sliding pieces to abandon what is likely our #2 and #3 Cs of the future in the trade along with a top 4 d-man.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

To be fair I think an NHL team thinks on this for a long time. Fans overvalue young players a bit, just not sure how that fits with our window and it is a decent amount of salary added. If I knew we could cut some of the fat off our roster they could perhaps consider this.

The Wings have sort of embraced the rebuild at this point, this would mark a move towards serious playoff contention. If it came with other moves sure, but we are talking a few players being jettisoned from town, like Helm and DeKeyser. Probably one of Daley/Ericsson bought out or cleared through waivers. What would be happening if that kind of trade went down is an aggressive overhaul and I am sure people would compare it to when the Leafs went after Kessel and Phaneuf. The Wings still need to clear some cap this year and next. I disagree with those that don't think they can unload Nielsen at some point, his money actually owed is good for a budget team. While the Wings have money to play with this year and next, they are still clearing some off the books, so they need to be careful with what they do with it. While Ehlers and Trouba represent the kind of investments I am good with, they need more to justify that kind of shift from the methodical future build.

But the Wings get a lot better in that trade at the NHL level in a hurry. Ehlers fits the speed we have in this group, but you also just took the future center for these guys to play with. Athanasiou would have to stay a center and ideally you would have to clear enough cap to be in on Duchene or swing a trade for a Kadri type. It is just a lot of sliding pieces to abandon what is likely our #2 and #3 Cs of the future in the trade along with a top 4 d-man.

If Ehlers was a center I would be thinking long and hard about this deal and more than likely say yes. But I agree, losing Veleno and #6 completely guts our future down the middle unless AA finds another level at the center position.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Again with this nonsense! Why would you give all these damn assets for a guy hitting UFA status next summer and is from MICHIGAN?!!!!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Ehlers was a center I would be thinking long and hard about this deal and more than likely say yes. But I agree, losing Veleno and #6 completely guts our future down the middle unless AA finds another level at the center position.
Did you watch the last 8 games? AA has found another level, the bigger question is if he can maintain it. Hirose looked good on the line, Glenny was actually OK, Helm sucked.

Before we judge AA's ability as a center, the team has to put him with 2 wingers that deserve to be on the second line. The jury's still out on Hirose, the team doesn't have another top 6 forward (yet... until Zadina, Veleno, Svech, Raz, or 2019 6th pick develop into one). The proposed trade takes away 2 of those possibilities, so I wouldn't do it either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->