Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Honestly, I'm not really up for any center this year, but have been okay with Duchene depending on how the draft shakes out and who we grab. If we grab someone expected to play on the wing (again), well, at some point we need another high end center from somewhere. Duchene's the best of this group, so if we have to sign one... . I'd rather either not sign one or just go cheap, though. Try to get someone better.

Of the forwards likely available, I'm probably alone in this, but I'd probably be the most okay with Nyquist. I expect him to get the most reasonable contract, and I don't think his production is going to be way far off from most of the other forwards. If we have to have one, get one who isn't going to break the bank.

I've said it before, and even though he seems washed, I'd be fine with giving Brassard a two year deal. I think he could adequately handle a transitional middle 6 center role. But, considering how thin the center market is, maybe someone will give him a stupid six year deal too.

Reactions: Winger98

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

From that article:

After a five-year hiatus from the NHL, Kovalchuk was likely wishing he’d remained in Russia last season instead of coming to Los Angeles — and that’s saying something. Fun fact: Kovalchuk’s average ice time during his final year with the New Jersey Devils in 2012-13 was 24:44, a number that dropped by almost 10 minutes to 16:14 this past season with the Kings.

This is incredible. That's 2-3 minutes more ice time than even McDavid or Crosby have ever gotten in their careers. I've never heard of a forward getting 24 minutes of ice time and Kovalchuck did it in two seasons in a row for the Devils.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I know I'm late to the Gusev talk here, but I have no idea why people are even mentioning the AHL with this guy. His play at the Worlds alone are proving he's a top 6 forward on any NHL team. He's skilled, he's fast, he's smart, he can shoot.

Gusev could easily put up 60 points in the NHL next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've said it before, and even though he seems washed, I'd be fine with giving Brassard a two year deal. I think he could adequately handle a transitional middle 6 center role. But, considering how thin the center market is, maybe someone will give him a stupid six year deal too.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Brassard, either. I have a hard time being really against anyone on a deal like that, where we bring a guy in for a couple of years to seal a hole and buy time. On top of that, it's unlikely it will be so costly that the guy couldn't just be cut loose, sent to GR, or whatever, should the roster spot become that important.

I should clarify my Nyquist comment a bit, I meant of guys likely getting a significant term with their deal. Panarin would be a good get, but I look at guys like Duchene and Skinner and I'm just not comfortable with the sort of deals they are rumored to be chasing. they're not bad players, they just are not guys I really like the idea of going big term and big money on.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
With yzerman now leading the draft how would you expect the red wings draft to pan out this year? Also do you expect the amateur scouting dept. to change?
Corey Pronman
Tampa's draft were far from perfect under him, but there was certainly a philosophy to how they picked. I expect fewer Reilly Webb's and more bets on guys with talent like Otto Somppi and Sammy Walker.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I understand how difficult he would be for a bunch of people to take as a signing. However, Steve Yzerman has the kind of bullet proof capital to be the guy that signs Slava Voynov... Just saying.
Ew no thanks. There are other options and they're all much better. Including simply standing pat and growing from within. So it's a no just from a moral position, and Voynov is not anywhere near the calibre of player to make me consider looking the other way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ew no thanks. There are other options and they're all much better. Including simply standing pat and growing from within. So it's a no just from a moral position, and Voynov is not anywhere near the calibre of player to make me consider looking the other way.

I would pass as well, but I doubt his full season ban holds up in appeal. I think somebody is going to sign him.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I would pass as well, but I doubt his full season ban holds up in appeal. I think somebody is going to sign him.
Hasn't this issue already been dealt with by an arbitrator? I'd heard he would be able to sign after 41 games.

Either way, I don't see Yzerman being that guy. Even if he has the capital, why put it under that kind of strain only to sign a 2nd pairing player?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hasn't this issue already been dealt with by an arbitrator? I'd heard he would be able to sign after 41 games.

Either way, I don't see Yzerman being that guy. Even if he has the capital, why put it under that kind of strain only to sign a 2nd pairing player?

Assuming you didn't land Karlsson and Trouba is traded at the draft and then much to everyone around here's horror extends in New York, Florida or somewhere then what do you do?

My guess is he is looking at 4 millionish max because of what surrounds him. So if you're the Wings you can lock in the top 4 right side of your D with a cheap Hronek. Again I would have trouble with it, but I can see the hockey reasons. You need a second pairing defender as well and while he might have 30 his body has little wear and tear on it because of all the time off he has had and the fact he has been playing a much easier schedule.

I do think some team is going to sign him and for as horrifying as a lot of people will be. I suspect he is still a top 4 d-man in the NHL. Let's put it this way when I turned on SKA he looked a lot better than Datsyuk and there is a reason the Russians keep submitting his name in best on best tournament. He still has the ability.

Like I said I am not a huge fan to be clear. I just wonder if we would consider it is all. I think somebody is going to bite on signing him. For as much outrage as there would be much like Kareem Hunt or other examples if you still have the talent they will give you that second chance. What happened to Ray Rice was he didn't have the requisite talent. I have yet to hear a talent evaluator question if Voynov can play in the league still.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
my main concern with Voynov would be how good of a player would he even be at this point?

he's nearly 30 now and just spent a full year not playing hockey at all after spending the last several in the KHL

I kinda get the feeling he's not gonna have a pretty transition back to the league wherever he lands

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

He will

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I really don't see Voynov being radically different from Gardiner or the other handful of guys below Karlsson this year. And there are a good number of guys who could be hitting the market next summer. If Hronek (and I assume Cholowski) are hitting it well enough that we're legitimately looking at that second tier of guys to round out our D, I think Yzerman will have a bunch of options he could pursue.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
https://detroitsportsnation.com/ste...ker/detroit-red-wings-news/05/25/2019/205223/
“Murat stated that the Red Wings said that Filip Hronek is completely off the table, but Winnipeg has inquired about some draft picks. The Red Wings have three 2nd round picks this upcoming draft and would be willing to part ways with one or two of them to acquire Trouba.”

Yzerman reaching out about Trouba is a good sign. If the rumored interest in Puempel/ Kuffner and 2nd rounders is valid I don't see how we wouldn't leap on that trade. I don't know how reliable the sources are though.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
https://detroitsportsnation.com/ste...ker/detroit-red-wings-news/05/25/2019/205223/
“Murat stated that the Red Wings said that Filip Hronek is completely off the table, but Winnipeg has inquired about some draft picks. The Red Wings have three 2nd round picks this upcoming draft and would be willing to part ways with one or two of them to acquire Trouba.”

While Trouba sounds exceptionally cheap in terms of this rumor, I know he won't go for what Jets fans want either. I wonder if Cholowski is on the table along with a couple seconds. I mean you have to do that if you're Yzerman in my opinion and everyone knows I am a big Cholo guy. I don't think Lindstrom would add enough as the defensive prospect, though his spot maxes out as a third pairing defender if we have Hronek and Trouba down that side. I guess we will see, would be a tremendous move if Stevie landed Trouba and extended him. A return similar albeit probably a little smaller than the McDonagh trade would be nice like Buttman outlined on the Athletic.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone know the actual source of this? Haven't found anything on Murat Ates twitter or in his Athletic articles. The link from Detroit Sports Nation goes to a website called nhltraderumors.me, not the Athletic, even though they attribute it to the Athletic.

I think this might be bunk.

Reactions: avssuc

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Anyone know the actual source of this? Haven't found anything on Murat Ates twitter or in his Athletic articles. The link from Detroit Sports Nation goes to a website called nhltraderumors.me, not the Athletic, even though they attribute it to the Athletic.

I think this might be bunk.

Does seem a little strange, I mean I feel like we should be inquiring on Trouba and Hronek should be off the table so...:laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
From that article:

This is incredible. That's 2-3 minutes more ice time than even McDavid or Crosby have ever gotten in their careers. I've never heard of a forward getting 24 minutes of ice time and Kovalchuck did it in two seasons in a row for the Devils.
Ovechkin has averaged over 20 in his career and he had 2 years in a row with 23/game. It's what happens when you have no other offensive talent on the team. Back then, the Caps only had one offensive line, Semin/Backstrom/Ovy.

Kovy is the last player to average 24 min TOI, but prior to him Bure (26:52!), Lemieux, Brind'Amour, and MSL had seasons with over 24. Impressive, but not unique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad