Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not interested in Zaitsev, he makes too much for what he is. We already have a very similar player in Dekeyser, though I do think getting away from Babcock will help him.

Still I am more interested in a Trouba/Karlsson level right hander. With Hronek looking like the other top 4 you have Lindstrom and Bowey fight out your right side along with the new guy from Finland.

The big if of somehow landing one of the big 2 RDs we talk about a lot really shifts our group to a good place.
I think the same unless they want Abdelkader back lol.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could you imagine if we added Byram and Trouba this off-season?

Might be able to be one of those teams where the back end drives the team like Carolina or St. Louis.

I seriously doubt Byram will fall, but that would be a pretty incredible turnaround in terms of the talent on the back-end.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
True, I’ll settle for Turcotte and Trouba...

Build us a little Team USA :)

You know nobody would be more excited about that than me...:laugh:

At least Turcotte isn't a Wolverine too. I want Trouba but it is going to be alarming that my two favorite players on the team are going to have come from U of M if they do get him. Tough pill to swallow as a life-long Spartan fan, that and the only locked in Wings Spartan remaining should be sent to Grand Rapids... Big pressure on Hirose I guess to help, maybe he can come up into Gator's spot...

If Turcotte is our pick I am going to be over the moon.

Reactions: mantha39 and Frk It

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Could you imagine if we added Byram and Trouba this off-season?

Might be able to be one of those teams where the back end drives the team like Carolina or St. Louis.
Been crossing my fingers for Byram to fall. We'll need some luck but all it'll take is 2-3 teams reaching on someone. And with how close this draft is can anyone from 3-7 really be considered a reach? Just gotta hope Chicago, Colorado and LA like a centre more.

If we could add Byram and make a trade for Trouba or sign Karlsson that would be a game changer. At that point I would hope we make a play for Duchene this offseason since we wouldn't be drafting a C with the 6th OA.

But then the toughest positions to fill would almost all be filled. Top 6 C tandem in Larkin/Duchene, top pair in Trouba/Karlsson and Byram (eventually), full of quality wingers and depth on D with Hronek/Cholowski/McIsaac coming up. In that scenario we might even challenge for the playoffs next season IMO.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You know nobody would be more excited about that than me...:laugh:

At least Turcotte isn't a Wolverine too. I want Trouba but it is going to be alarming that my two favorite players on the team are going to have come from U of M if they do get him. Tough pill to swallow as a life-long Spartan fan, that and the only locked in Wings Spartan remaining should be sent to Grand Rapids... Big pressure on Hirose I guess to help, maybe he can come up into Gator's spot...

If Turcotte is our pick I am going to be over the moon.

Too bad Afanasyev decommitted from MSU, I could see Stevie liking him in round 2.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Been crossing my fingers for Byram to fall. We'll need some luck but all it'll take is 2-3 teams reaching on someone. And with how close this draft is can anyone from 3-7 really be considered a reach? Just gotta hope Chicago, Colorado and LA like a centre more.

If we could add Byram and make a trade for Trouba or sign Karlsson that would be a game changer. At that point I would hope we make a play for Duchene this offseason since we wouldn't be drafting a C with the 6th OA.

But then the toughest positions to fill would almost all be filled. Top 6 C tandem in Larkin/Duchene, top pair in Trouba/Karlsson and Byram (eventually), full of quality wingers and depth on D with Hronek/Cholowski/McIsaac coming up. In that scenario we might even challenge for the playoffs next season IMO.

I don't think they would be ready for a couple years, but man we would enter the season with a lot more excitement. They would be better, but our young guys have some developing to do still in my opinion. Duchene is likely to cost a pretty penny, I could get behind it, he also has wing flexibility if Veleno knocks his development out of the park. We will see. Is important to remember that we are going to need to pay these young guys too at some point. The lesson that Toronto and Winnipeg are showing the league, if you believe in your young core you need to be careful about how close you push up to the cap before paying all those guys.

AA, Mantha, Bert eventually Hronek are not going to be cheap players more than likely.

I would just be excited to be having positive conversations around here for what would seem like the first time in three or four years.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Or we could wait til 2020 keep all those guys and still have Trouba,...
Everyone of those mentioned are expendable assets for us (Cholo if we somehow get Byram). I understand your numerous responses to not wanting to trade for him BUT it's a large possibility he doesn't make it to FA. Even worse is someone in our division gets Trouba and we have to play him for the next 8 or 9 years.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Nikita Zaitsev who, for personal reasons, asked TOR today to try to facilitate a trade. He has five years remaining on a contract with an AAV of $4.5M. TOR will try to oblige Zaitsev but are not in a salary cap position to retain much, if any, salary.Zaitsev is a polarizing figure and in the short term, trying to make this deal could be problematic. He played big minutes under Mike Babcock. Current Leaf regime is not the one who signed him to the contract but it warmed up to him as a capable top-four minute D man.

He's really not though. He has been below average in those minutes and hasn't really performed at what I could an acceptable level for a 3rd pairing defenceman. He's being paid 4.5M for the next 5 years and while 4.5M in 4 or 5 years may not be much it's still an enormous amount of dead cap space to have on your roster. He may be able to bounce back but if a GM trades for him and gives anything of value up he's setting himself up to be in awful position. Personally, the only contract worse than Zaitsev's is Lucic's and according to some research/framework I've created his value is so far into the negative that the Leafs would need to move multiple 1sts to encourage a team to take on that contract.

The news about Trouba is interesting. I think I'm still in the "slow build" camp, but if we could Cholowski+2nd for him I think that's something I'd jump on, especially if he had indicated he would re-sign. I still think we need to identify our core players before we start moving assets that may not fit in with our timeline. As of now we have Larkin that is a true core piece and I'd like to believe we could add Mantha+Hronek to it after next season. I don't think Bertuzzi/AA would ever be true core pieces for me, while they're good players they're also the type that teams can sometimes become too committed to and give them contracts that are a little out of line with their true value.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Everyone of those mentioned are expendable assets for us (Cholo if we somehow get Byram). I understand your numerous responses to not wanting to trade for him BUT it's a large possibility he doesn't make it to FA. Even worse is someone in our division gets Trouba and we have to play him for the next 8 or 9 years.
Trouba controls his own fate. If he wants to play for Detroit he will....

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the most likely scenario is that Winnipeg will be looking to make a sign and trade type deal. That's the best way to maximize Trouba's value if there are several teams in play, and the tweet linked to earlier says there's 'significant' interest. The team will be paying more because they will ensure they have him locked up, and whoever puts in the best bid will have Trouba for the next 8 years.

But if he's willing to talk to only four teams instead of eight (or twelve or whatever) that's still going to depress his value a bit. I agree that he'll get more signed than unsigned, but we still don't know how much (if at all) he'd force down that list of possible teams.

There you go, Zaitsev and Nylander for Trouba.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
But if he's willing to talk to only four teams instead of eight (or twelve or whatever) that's still going to depress his value a bit. I agree that he'll get more signed than unsigned, but we still don't know how much (if at all) he'd force down that list of possible teams.

There you go, Zaitsev and Nylander for Trouba.
Does Winnipeg have the cap space for those two?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

The better question is why would the Jets accept a cap dump and Nylander for Trouba. I'm sure a deal could be made between them without that terrible Zaitsev contract coming back.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

They'd have around $13 million left to re-sign Laine and Connor, and fill out some depth spots. Nylander would give them the youth and depth to look at shipping out someone like Pereault and cleaning up their cap a bit. Also, Winny is going to have to get a D somewhere this summer. Re-signing Trouba wouldn't be cheap. For a few million more, they get a top4 D and a top6 forward. I think that would be worth some roster juggling.

The better question is why would the Jets accept a cap dump and Nylander for Trouba. I'm sure a deal could be made between them without that terrible Zaitsev contract coming back.

He's not far removed from that 36 point season, and I think it depends how much Winny sees him as being willing to accept and adapt to the role of shut down D while still being able to go on the offensive again, or if the offensive side of his game just abandoned him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hires Ozzy as 1st Crease Patrol Compliance Training & Enforcement Coach.

upload_2019-5-30_22-24-24.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad