Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You think we miss the playoffs 4 more years in a row? I don't think we are going to be this bad for another 4 years. I honestly see us in contention in 2020-2021. Next offseason will be key with a bunch of junk coming off the books, and it will be a chance to actually acquire some good players.

19-20: we will suck again, bottom 5, lottery team, hopefully for once we get lucky in the dumb lottery

20-21: the ascent begins, I'll say we miss the playoffs, but will be in contention all year

21-22: Playoff team.

I do yes.

I think we lack elite players all over the ice but in particular in the key positions.

I dont think we have high end depth yet(key word) to establish themselves

Zadina/Valeno plus Dach/Cozens/Turcotte are only 18 and 19 years old and are 2-3 years away at best before being big contributors

Our goalie isnt good or gonna get better with experience to bail us out to be able to go that route

I dont mean any of this as a knock or to be a debbie downer. I am ok with being patient, in fact its what I want.

I can look across the league to both current playoff teams and those further along than us in retooling(or whatever adj.) and accept where we're.

I am excited by alot of guys on this team and in this system but I am tempered with how quickly I think they can match their playoff peers

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Isn't it his choice to whether or not he signs with the team he gets traded to?
If it's a place he's willing to play for, being a signature away from a guaranteed $60M is a damn hard thing to resist...

The writing is on the wall here, someone is going to acquire him from Winnipeg and he's going to sign with that team.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I mean, he did just put up 50 points, while being solid defensively. I think Yzerman will be aggressive, and will make a strong push. There are some assets that I would not move (Larkin, AA, Mantha, Hronek, Cholowski, Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac), but I think anyone else could be in play.

I'd do something along the lines of:

-2019 35th overall pick
-Berggren
-Svech

I don't think that would be enough, but you have to give to get and Trouba would easily be our #1 D, and has proven he can be a legitimate #1.

You can't go out looking for a #1 dman and only be offering spare parts in return. It's just not realistic. That's way too low, and someone will pay more than that. AA or Mantha will almost have to go the other way because we're not giving up a 1st. Winnipeg will want value for the value they're losing.

Imo, we should be thrilled if we can add Trouba to the fold for a package like yours, but if it gets outbid in the end, we should be happy to wait for the next opportunity.

What do you think will be the next opportunity? And why do you think it'll be cheaper than getting Trouba?

Reactions: taliababa

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You can't go out looking for a #1 dman and only be offering spare parts in return. It's just not realistic. That's way too low, and someone will pay more than that. AA or Mantha will almost have to go the other way because we're not giving up a 1st. Winnipeg will want value for the value they're losing.

What do you think will be the next opportunity? And why do you think it'll be cheaper than getting Trouba?

There is one issue in terms of AA or Mantha. They have the same contract status at the end of next year that is currently problematic for Winnipeg with Trouba. They enter their final RFA seasons with arb rights.

Especially with AA's agent that has to give them pause. They don't want the best asset for them in the trade to be doing this to them next May as well.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Curious what team do you think will offer a player better and more proven than mantha or AA who ideally is not any older(as that's a positive for their value)?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Curious what team do you think will offer a player better and more proven than mantha or AA who ideally is not any older(as that's a positive for their value)?

I could see Florida offering something around Trocheck who falls in roughly the same age range, and likely has accomplished more than either Mantha or Athanasiou, and is a damn good center, and has a reasonable cap hit at 4.75M for 3 more years, where Mantha and AA will be needing new contracts that very well could be greater.

Reactions: The Zermanator

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I mean, he did just put up 50 points, while being solid defensively. I think Yzerman will be aggressive, and will make a strong push. There are some assets that I would not move (Larkin, AA, Mantha, Hronek, Cholowski, Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac), but I think anyone else could be in play.

I'd do something along the lines of:

-2019 35th overall pick
-Berggren
-Svech

I don't think that would be enough, but you have to give to get and Trouba would easily be our #1 D, and has proven he can be a legitimate #1.

That's everyone in our entire organization who actually has value lol. If you won't move any of those guys then there is no one else left to move.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

It's hard to get a 25 year old top pairing D. I have a hard time finding a value for a Trouba trade. In a vacuum I think it would cost a ton. But Trouba seems to want out, he might be picky about where he's going or he's set on testing free agency. I would think those would limit the bidders to a certain degree, but how much. Then there's Winnipeg's particular makeup. Do they want the best offer for the current team or just the best value? I don't think those two things are going to be the same.

If Yzerman swings a deal here it'll be fun seeing the reactions to it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

1) I agree they won't do it for "spare parts", that's why I included the 35th pick and Berggren. Berggren to me has the potential to becoming a contributing 2nd liner, and the 35th pick is basically a coin flip on becoming an NHL player. Svech could be labelled as a "spare part", but I still am not ready to fully write him off. This is a huge year for him.

2) The Jets know that he's going to walk next offseason, so they aren't going to get what they deem as fair value for him. They already have a D group, with others coming (Niku). The Jets and Trouba have had their disagreements in the past, and I just don't see any scenario where they resign him. So sure, maybe my package wasn't enough (I did acknowledge that in my original post, that they would probably want more), but for them to be expecting first round picks and grade A prospects just isn't realistic. And the bottom line is that if they are asking for that much, well then he will just walk next offseason and they won't get any assets in return.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That's everyone in our entire organization who actually has value lol. If you won't move any of those guys then there is no one else left to move.

Well yea, that's my point. I don't want to move any grade A prospects. To say Lindstrom and Berggren and Svechnikov and Saarijarvi and Regula and Kuffner and Bowey and Pearson and Ehn and JDLR and Turgeon don't have any value isn't entirely true. Sure some of these guys are dime a dozen prospects, but they still have potential.

I just think it's extremely counter-productive to trade, say Hronek or AA or Mantha or McIsaac to get Trouba. You are just creating other holes while attempting to fill one.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
There is one issue in terms of AA or Mantha. They have the same contract status at the end of next year that is currently problematic for Winnipeg with Trouba. They enter their final RFA seasons with arb rights.

Especially with AA's agent that has to give them pause. They don't want the best asset for them in the trade to be doing this to them next May as well.

That's true, but I just don't know who else would have the value those two do barring the ones we really don't want to give up (Larkin/Z/Hronek especially). I think Cholowski is a possibility. Maybe DeKeyser with some retention. Even Bertuzzi I suppose but I'd rather keep him over the big two pieces because he should be cheaper and provides a very useful physical element.

Assets I would put in play would include AA, Mantha, Cholowski, Rasmussen, DK, Bertuzzi, Svech, Veleno and lesser prospects.

Hard to really speculate about moving AA and Mantha in terms of their contract status without knowing what their feelings are about playing there as well as how Winnipeg might use them.

EDIT: added Rasmussen

It's hard to get a 25 year old top pairing D. I have a hard time finding a value for a Trouba trade. In a vacuum I think it would cost a ton. But Trouba seems to want out, he might be picky about where he's going or he's set on testing free agency. I would think those would limit the bidders to a certain degree, but how much. Then there's Winnipeg's particular makeup. Do they want the best offer for the current team or just the best value? I don't think those two things are going to be the same.

If Yzerman swings a deal here it'll be fun seeing the reactions to it.

I think the most likely scenario is that Winnipeg will be looking to make a sign and trade type deal. That's the best way to maximize Trouba's value if there are several teams in play, and the tweet linked to earlier says there's 'significant' interest. The team will be paying more because they will ensure they have him locked up, and whoever puts in the best bid will have Trouba for the next 8 years.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
While I agree that that list is too long if you are actively trying to make trades, but I have to point out:

Bertuzzi is our 2nd best player (therefore he has value... but should also be included on the "would not move list")
Rasmussen made the NHL faster than everyone we've had in 20 years, and performed just fine, and everyone wants to act like he doesn't even exist

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
1) I agree they won't do it for "spare parts", that's why I included the 35th pick and Berggren. Berggren to me has the potential to becoming a contributing 2nd liner, and the 35th pick is basically a coin flip on becoming an NHL player. Svech could be labelled as a "spare part", but I still am not ready to fully write him off. This is a huge year for him.

2) The Jets know that he's going to walk next offseason, so they aren't going to get what they deem as fair value for him. They already have a D group, with others coming (Niku). The Jets and Trouba have had their disagreements in the past, and I just don't see any scenario where they resign him. So sure, maybe my package wasn't enough (I did acknowledge that in my original post, that they would probably want more), but for them to be expecting first round picks and grade A prospects just isn't realistic. And the bottom line is that if they are asking for that much, well then he will just walk next offseason and they won't get any assets in return.

1) Those are spare parts though. They'd be giving up a bona fide top pair dman and getting a bunch of 2nds in return. 2nd rd picks rarely turn into NHL players. Berggren may have the potential (which isn't tangible value) but he also just basically lost a season to injury and will have to recover from that.

2) I covered that in another post. Sign and trades are something that exist. If the media people are to be believed, then there is 'significant' interest in Trouba. Let's say for the sake of speculation that Detroit, NYR, Florida, Colorado, SJ, BOS, BUF are all wanting to make a push for him. But Trouba isn't willing to sign long term with BUF or SJ. That still leaves Detroit, NYR, Florida, Colorado, BOS to compete for him. The idea that Winnipeg will have to settle for peanuts is wrong IMO. Winnipeg's got no interest in selling Trouba as a 1yr rental (and getting corresponding value), nor do teams likely have much interest in buying him as a rental. It's in everyone's best interests to get Trouba to a place he'll go (which could very easily be several teams) and will sign long term with.

Well yea, that's my point. I don't want to move any grade A prospects. To say Lindstrom and Berggren and Svechnikov and Saarijarvi and Regula and Kuffner and Bowey and Pearson and Ehn and JDLR and Turgeon don't have any value isn't entirely true. Sure some of these guys are dime a dozen prospects, but they still have potential.

I just think it's extremely counter-productive to trade, say Hronek or AA or Mantha or McIsaac to get Trouba. You are just creating other holes while attempting to fill one.

Nobody's saying they don't have any value, but if those are the names you're considering to make a push for a #1dman you may as well just stay home.

As for moving the players in the second paragraph, those holes are much easier filled going forward than the big one which has plagued us for close to a decade. Manthas and AAs come along in FA much more frequently than Troubas do. I doubt Winnipeg would even be interested in McIsaac since he's a couple years away from being an NHL regular at best (if he even gets there).

I don't think Winnipeg would even want McIsaac as the main piece because he's still at least a couple years away, and we likely won't include Hronek

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Nikita Zaitsev who, for personal reasons, asked TOR today to try to facilitate a trade. He has five years remaining on a contract with an AAV of $4.5M. TOR will try to oblige Zaitsev but are not in a salary cap position to retain much, if any, salary.Zaitsev is a polarizing figure and in the short term, trying to make this deal could be problematic. He played big minutes under Mike Babcock. Current Leaf regime is not the one who signed him to the contract but it warmed up to him as a capable top-four minute D man.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not interested in Zaitsev, he makes too much for what he is. We already have a very similar player in Dekeyser, though I do think getting away from Babcock will help him.

Still I am more interested in a Trouba/Karlsson level right hander. With Hronek looking like the other top 4 you have Lindstrom and Bowey fight out your right side along with the new guy from Finland.

The big if of somehow landing one of the big 2 RDs we talk about a lot really shifts our group to a good place.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
@HockeyRumor 24m24 minutes ago
More
Couple new reports: Nikita Zaitsev has asked for a trade out of TOR and Fedor Gordeev has signed an entry level deal with MIN, meaning TOR gets their 2020 7th Round Pick. Also keep an eye on Trouba. Multiple teams on him. Hearing Red Wings favorites.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Us openly showing interest is good. We can basically openly tamper as this is the message the Wings want out to Trouba's camp. What would be massive is if he does the unthinkable well I guess Shattenkirk did this and basically put out that he will only talk extension with one team. It would crater his value for Winnipeg.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not interested in Zaitsev, he makes too much for what he is. We already have a very similar player in Dekeyser, though I do think getting away from Babcock will help him.

Still I am more interested in a Trouba/Karlsson level right hander. With Hronek looking like the other top 4 you have Lindstrom and Bowey fight out your right side along with the new guy from Finland.

The big if of somehow landing one of the big 2 RDs we talk about a lot really shifts our group to a good place.

I’ve been feeling more and more like it would be nice to add a LD as opposed to a RD.

I mean who are our options on the left side other than Cholowski? Green is a RD. Daley is pretty set on playing the right side despite being LH IIRC. Big fan of McIsaac, but not sure he will be ready.

It would be nice to get a partner to play on the top pair with Hronek next year in an ideal world (IMO).

@HockeyRumor May 25
More
Per sources: DET making BIG push to get Trouba from WPG.

Not sure this is a credible source... but I support it.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I’ve been feeling more and more like it would be nice to add a LD as opposed to a RD.

I mean who are our options on the left side other than Cholowski? Green is a RD. Daley is pretty set on playing the right side despite being LH IIRC. Big fan of McIsaac, but not sure he will be ready.

It would be nice to get a partner to play on the top pair with Hronek next year in an ideal world (IMO).

I think with Trouba on your top pair and Hronek on your second pair finding the left side is easier to accomplish. There are after all more left handed D-man to go around.

I am not saying it fixes it this year, obviously DK would be a beneficiary of a very good partner in this scenario. Yes ideally soon Cholowski (assuming he isn't dealt to Winnipeg for Trouba) and McIsaac would be ready to make some progress. We need help in a lot of areas to get back to where we want to be. I want stars and Trouba is a star, so I will take him and nail down the left side later if that makes sense.

I am not sure Mike Green is even going to play hockey next year. If he does it should be his last year in Detroit if we go out and get Trouba. So I am not overly concerned with the vets entering their last year of their deal. I would like to get some assets at the trade deadline. I think what we do with our blueline and how Yzerman builds on that cannot really factor in some of those issues this year.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

The ones that are currently available that meet our needs are both RDs though. I guess technically just about anyone is available for the right price, but in terms of cost effectiveness that is an expensive route to take. Karlsson would be free and Trouba will cost less as a result of his contract issues.

I suppose if you want an LD Gardiner is available this year which wouldn't cost anything but cap space nor impact our ability to go after Trouba. But then that might put us out of the running for Karlsson capwise. Frankly I'm ok with going another season with a DK/Kronwall/Ericsson/etc left side if we're able to add either Trouba or Karlsson. At least then we'd have great puck moving options on the right side with Trouba (or Karlsson)/Hronek/Kaski. We would be in a rare position of being able to have a decent PMD on the ice at all times, which would address one of our biggest weaknesses in the last 5 years in the breakout.

I think our best play right now is to just focus on getting the type of player we need rather than get caught up in details like handedness. Realistically we need both and LD and an RD for the top pair and the two best opportunities at this point are both RD.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think with Trouba on your top pair and Hronek on your second pair finding the left side is easier to accomplish. There are after all more left handed D-man to go around.

I am not saying it fixes it this year, obviously DK would be a beneficiary of a very good partner in this scenario. Yes ideally soon Cholowski (assuming he isn't dealt to Winnipeg for Trouba) and McIsaac would be ready to make some progress. We need help in a lot of areas to get back to where we want to be. I want stars and Trouba is a star, so I will take him and nail down the left side later if that makes sense.

I am not sure Mike Green is even going to play hockey next year. If he does it should be his last year in Detroit if we go out and get Trouba. So I am not overly concerned with the vets entering their last year of their deal. I would like to get some assets at the trade deadline. I think what we do with our blueline and how Yzerman builds on that cannot really factor in some of those issues this year.

Could you imagine if we added Byram and Trouba this off-season?

Might be able to be one of those teams where the back end drives the team like Carolina or St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad