NESN YouTubeTV Drops NESN

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Regardless of who to blame, this is infuriating for customers. You think you have the package that meets your needs and then something changes like this. I still have Xfinity but was going to switch to YouTube TV. Unless I have it wrong this was announced on the day the plug was being pulled. So no time at all for people to prepare etc.

This is something I would actually like seeing the government ask questions about. It shouldn't be near impossible to get what you want. Some regulation would be a good thing for this industry.

I did read that it could be added back when Bruins and Celtics start up again but who knows. I am a big college hockey fan and with no fans allowed I was banking on a lot of games being on NESN. So this sucks for YouTube TV subscribers. I am just fed up with the entire industry.

Reactions: Gordoff

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I was going to cut the cable cord but maybe now I shouldn't :dunno:
I finally cut it last year,saved over $100 per month going to YouTube TV, it's an excellent service so I'm never going back to cable but that's me,losing NESN while inconvenient isn't the end of the world,look at all the preseason games we've watched through nefarious ways over the years,we'll be fine

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I was thinking about this last night.. this has to be a negotiating ploy while the NBA, MLB, and NHL are all on hold. Google can offer an unreasonable licensing fee to the RSN's and then strike before the NHL and NBA start in January, with an even higher cost. Or it's the other way around. The RSN's are playing Google knowing that no one is watching right now anyone.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
When Comcast comes to our area we are going back to cable, I am tired of the streaming. I have had four different streaming companies and it seems they all drop channels. Does anyone have Comcast and if so how is their internet?? Are they down a lot or very little?? We have Consolidated and we hate it, Comcast has started hooking up in our area so looking forward to that as this year there has not been much to look forward too.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When Comcast comes to our area we are going back to cable, I am tired of the streaming. I have had four different streaming companies and it seems they all drop channels. Does anyone have Comcast and if so how is their internet?? Are they down a lot or very little?? We have Consolidated and we hate it, Comcast has started hooking up in our area so looking forward to that as this year there has not been much to look forward too.

Comcast does internet well - This is in Hampton, NH

upload_2020-12-8_4-11-0.png

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Maybe I am missing something really obvious. What prevents Nesn from selling a subscription to stream the games through the NESN app. What legal right does YouTube TV have that NESN cannot obtain.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Maybe I am missing something really obvious. What prevents Nesn from selling a subscription to stream the games through the NESN app. What legal right does YouTube TV have that NESN cannot obtain.

YouTube TV is just a service provider, not a content producer same as any other cable company

NESN offering game streaming would violate the TV contracts and directly compete against Center Ice.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I've been told Fubo dropped Nesn too.
This was wrong. Fubo appears to still be carrying NESN. In fact their lineup is looking really good. I’m just a bit skeptical because when we first cut the cord Fubo was the first one we tried. The options for my children were extremely disappointing. Looking through the list today, I see all the Nickelodeon’s and Disney channels. No pbs which stinks but we could probably survive. One other downside is I think it allows two streams vs three on YouTubeTv. Kind of debating the idea of keeping the two services during hockey season and then dropping fubo during the off-season. Not only would it suck giving back a large portion of my cord cutting savings but I also just feel like if I do that I’m letting YouTube win! It’s probably sad that it bothers me so much but I guess I’m just that petty.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It's complicated but existing deals that NESN has with providers forbid NESN from offering a stand-alone option in New England.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I’ve also considered being a bad person and using vpn combined with NHLTV. Ultimately I don’t think I want to live on that side of the law. :/

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
I was hoping youtube tv and nesn just needed more time to negotiate. I thought this would be settled by now. I am extremely disappointed...if hockey restarts and nesn still isn't on YouTube TV then I guess I am switching to fubotv

Reactions: BMC and HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad