NESN YouTubeTV Drops NESN

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It was only a matter of time before the streaming services caught on & realized just how much money they can make. Before much longer there won't be much difference cost wise between them, cable & satellite.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
giphy.gif

And the network that continues to lag behind the rest of the world just went further back into the past. I can't wait to see all the revenue John Henry will lose for being a boob and not paying up to Google.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Difficult to say if this is on NESN or Google. Not good either way... if it isn't resolved before hockey resumes, back to cable.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
It was only a matter of time before the streaming services caught on & realized just how much money they can make. Before much longer there won't be much difference cost wise between them, cable & satellite.

My sci-fi brain sees a future where every service has like it's own "channel" and you can buy them all as a package. I think they'll call it cable or something.

Reactions: EvilDead and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is happening around the US

NESN is also getting bumped from YouTube TV

YouTube TV’s temporary deal with the Fox RSNs for the 2020 season ended at the end of September and has yet to be renewed. Hulu also dropped those networks last week. Earlier this year, fuboTV kicked the RSNs to the curb, and Sling dropped them last summer.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if new deals are reached (at least with YouTube and Hulu) early in 2021 when the NBA, NHL, and MLB are all getting back to live games. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if these services again raise their prices if deals to get reached. YouTube TV raised its price to $64.99/month over the summer, while Hulu Live’s last price increase to $54.99/month came last November. fuboTV upped its base price to $60 over the summer, but both Sling and AT&T TV have avoided subscription increases over the last year or so.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
If the NHL would just stop with the regional blockouts... people could just get the NHL package straight through the NHL and not worry about the cable TV or jumping through both safe and non-safe hoops to just watch hockey. Cable TV is just an antiquated money grab at this point.
Those blackouts are plain stupid and they hardly ever affect me.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah, when I got YouTube TV a couple years ago at 40 bucks/month, I remember telling my girlfriend it probably wouldn’t be long term as they were just selling it cheap initially to build a subscriber base and then would pull all the same shit the cable companies do.

We moved over the summer and just packaged our internet and cable with Charter (a shitty provider as well) because it saved a little cash after YouTubeTV predictably started hiking the price. I do miss the limitless DVR, but just don’t see it worth going back at this point.

As sleezy as the cable companies are, they will generally negotiate with you if you threaten to cut service and are in a place with another cable option. The fact is all of these services are owned by publicly traded companies that are trying to pull as much money as possible out of consumers to drive up their stock prices. There really is no good option.

If we make a change, it is likely to be getting rid of cable altogether. It rarely feels worth it.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If the NHL would just stop with the regional blockouts... people could just get the NHL package straight through the NHL and not worry about the cable TV or jumping through both safe and non-safe hoops to just watch hockey. Cable TV is just an antiquated money grab at this point.
Will there be blsckouts this year assuming some kind of season starts in January? Fans won’t be in attendance so why would there be blackouts ?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN has NO live sports scheduled outside of a few college events until the Bruins come back.

Who is to blame? The RSN's keep wanting more $$$$ per subscriber a month and what will wind up happening is we go back to the way things were 20 years ago where sports channels were a-la-carte.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Will there be blsckouts this year assuming some kind of season starts in January? Fans won’t be in attendance so why would there be blackouts ?
Blackouts are regional games. If I bought the official NHL steaming service, I couldn't legally watch the Bruins live via their service because I live in the Boston area connecting through an MA ISP.

There's ways around it, but frowned upon.

It's a deal with the local cable providers so people need to have cable TV.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Blackouts are regional games. If I bought the official NHL steaming service, I couldn't legally watch the Bruins live via their service because I live in the Boston area connecting through an MA ISP.

There's ways around it, but frowned upon.

It's a deal with the local cable providers so people need to have cable TV.
I see. So what are your options ( legal ) to stream Bruins games ? I live in Nova Scotia so I go with NHL tv and enjoy it .

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Xfinity sent me a $50 gift card to compensate for the months that I paid full price for cable, despite the lack of live sports.

I’ve done the cord cutting thing for a stretch and there are so many hoops to jump through to be able to watch what you want.

The entertainment industry has been transformed. There’s so much quality content available via premium cable and streaming that I very much doubt that movie theaters will survive this pandemic.

With people continuing to stay home for the foreseeable future, these cable and streaming services are operating from a position of strength in the market.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I've been the biggest advocate for YoutubeTV over the last few years. I think I started at $40 which felt like a steal, then they raised it, then recently raised it again. Although it's similarly priced to cable, it was nice to just log into all my TVs without bulky cable boxes and access my DVR at all times. More importantly, it had all the channels I cared about (I don't think NHL Network is worthwhile until WJC in December).

By dropping NESN, I'm officially standing by to switch back to Xfinity. Not being able to watch the Bruins is brutal, but we do have a couple months to see if it comes back. I'm even more disappointed than others because almost all Northeastern hockey and basketball games are shown on NESN or NESN+.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I was in the middle of testing out live streaming so I could get rid of cable. Fubo while nice for sports, didnt perform well. YouTubeTV works fine but now has no NESN. Disapointing because i was looking forward to being able to drop cable, pickup a live TV streaming service, add additional streaming like Disney/ESPN+ and still be saving $100 a month.

Is there option aside from Fubo to watch Bruins games online (if your in NESNs broadcast range)?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I see. So what are your options ( legal ) to stream Bruins games ? I live in Nova Scotia so I go with NHL tv and enjoy it .
I can't legally stream Bruins games live through NHL TV while living in the Boston area. Have to watch via cable if I wanted to be legit.

Like I said, there's ways around it. But my point is that it's a very silly hoop to have to jump through, when I've been and willing to be a paying customer.

I'd rather pay x amount on the NHL TV on its own and be able to stream when I want than go through the hassle to get cable TV, with a box, rental fee, for (even at the cheapest plan with NESN) have dozens of channels I have no intention of watching when I just want to watch hockey a few nights a week.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I can't legally stream Bruins games live through NHL TV while living in the Boston area. Have to watch via cable if I wanted to be legit.

Like I said, there's ways around it. But my point is that it's a very silly hoop to have to jump through, when I've been and willing to be a paying customer.

I'd rather pay x amount on the NHL TV on its own and be able to stream when I want than go through the hassle to get cable TV, with a box, rental fee, for (even at the cheapest plan with NESN) have dozens of channels I have no intention of watching when I just want to watch hockey a few nights a week.
Yeah, that’s ridiculous. I have a Roku streamer with the NHL app . I have Netflix , Spotify, YouTube and a few other apps but that’s about all I need . Cable for me is a waste because I wouldn’t watch 95 % of the content .

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I love YTTV but man i can't not have NESN. At least I have some time to figure it out. But there's no way I'm getting through this winter without bruins and hopefully NU hockey

Is this NESN's fault or Google? I want to be mad at someone!

Reactions: HustleB and 304

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I love YTTV but man i can't not have NESN. At least I have some time to figure it out. But there's no way I'm getting through this winter without bruins and hopefully NU hockey

Is this NESN's fault or Google? I want to be mad at someone!

I've heard it's more NESN than YTTV, but don't put too much into that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad