Your Thoughts on Kopi's Extension

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
People overpaid for tulips a few hundred years ago. Should you have been one of them? It's a BS question.

Holy red herring, batman.

Are you scared of the answer? Because that is NHL market value. I don't give a **** about medieval flowers.

I know you're going to say only the Kings could offer him 8 years, but that doesn't help the cap much.

I agree with what you said here and elsewhere about it getting pushed through though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That and he doesn't have to play against other teams top line

They're BOTH so good because only one or the other will be facing the other team's 'top' line and our top six depth allows the other to run amok. They work in tandem.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Holy red herring, batman.

Are you scared of the answer? Because that is NHL market value. I don't give a **** about medieval flowers.

No, it's what stupid GMs are willing to pay, not market value. That's the point. In this "market" you will always find a GM that will overpay and will fail to ice a team that is truly a contender.

I don't think paying Kopitar this kind of money is a good idea. It sets a bad precedant, but Kopitar held all the cards. What will Toffoli do now in his next contract negotiation? Doughty? F right off Dean, I don't care about any stagnant cap give me my money and fill in the bottom half of the team with scrubs.

I think the more successful teams will be the teams that pay the right guys market value on their second contract, not the teams that overpay proven stars on their third contract.

Kopitar saw opportunity and took advantage. I'm not going to praise that.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
No doubt. However, I think DL will make sure the money IS there. We will have to trade Brownie+ to do it, but I think at this point, DL has no other choice.

DL got screwed because Kopi pretty much got everything he wanted, as I had previously posted. NMC, 8 year term...

Again as stated by others he did not "get screwed" that is the market for stud #1 centers. And we King fans have been spoiled by Dean as he has given out very few NTC/NMC but when it comes to #1 centers and #1 defensemen it's something you have to do as either of those going into UFA hold all the cards.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
DL didn't negotiate hard enough. He should have made it clear to Kopi that current team members would have to be traded to support $10m per year long-term. Also that 3 more Cups can be won in this current window, but not if everybody has to be traded away 'cuz of one player's contract.

I don't think you realize Kopitar doesn't care about that. Also, threats don't usually work out too well in contract negotiations. He earned it, and he deserves it.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
DL didn't negotiate hard enough. He should have made it clear to Kopi that current team members would have to be traded to support $10m per year long-term. Also that 3 more Cups can be won in this current window, but not if everybody has to be traded away 'cuz of one player's contract.

Give me a ****ing break.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, it's what stupid GMs are willing to pay, not market value. That's the point. In this "market" you will always find a GM that will overpay and will fail to ice a team that is truly a contender.

I don't think paying Kopitar this kind of money is a good idea. It sets a bad precedant, but Kopitar held all the cards. What will Toffoli do now in his next contract negotiation? Doughty? F right off Dean, I don't care about any stagnant cap give me my money and fill in the bottom half of the team with scrubs.

I think the more successful teams will be the teams that pay the right guys market value on their second contract, not the teams that overpay proven stars on their third contract.

Then I'm willing to wager that there are 25+ stupid NHL GMs and two of those stupid GMs who overpaid for their stars are currently at the helm of the 1st and 2nd place teams in the league while the other stupid GM DL is at the helm of the 5th place team.

I'm not even willing to really worry about TT and DD at this point because we don't know the cap or who the players will be at that point.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Then I'm willing to wager that there are 25+ stupid NHL GMs and two of those stupid GMs who overpaid for their stars are currently at the helm of the 1st and 2nd place teams in the league while the other stupid GM DL is at the helm of the 5th place team.

I'm not even willing to really worry about TT and DD at this point because we don't know the cap or who the players will be at that point.

Bad idea. Look, we're debating across two threads now. This is a bad deal IMO starting in around year three of the deal, but we'll see.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There isn't a GM in the NHL that WANTS to give a NMC. They do it, because they HAVE to.

All it tells me is that as an older player, when my play starts to decline, I want a say in where I go, whether I'm earning my pay or not.

Hence, the owners will reduce the max length contracts in the next CBA, or do away with guaranteed contracts altogether.

Personally, I'm fine with a team being able to cut a player that is underperforming compared to his pay.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

What, if not the GMs, sets the market in your eyes?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What, if not the GMs, sets the market in your eyes?

I think GMs as a whole have overestimated the growth of the cap as far back as 3-4 years ago. It was bound to slow down at some point. Like a lot of investors, the GMs expected the good times to continue to roll. BTW, go see the Big Short movie folks.

GMs ultimately do set the market, however, many have failed to recognize the environment (stagnant salary cap) that will exist for at least two years, maybe more. Those that recognize the trend are going to be Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale. Those that don't will be asking Uncle Gary for a bail out. Since Uncle Gary can't print money, I think we know how that will go.

Bettman does a real disservice to the fans of the NHL when he comes out and says he expects the cap to go up next season. That will only happen if the players use the escalator clause again. The only reason the cap went up last off season was the players invoking the escalator clause.

The rank and file are getting sick of doing this, because the effect of doing so increases the amount of escrow withheld every season all in the name of increasing the cap for the new batch of UFAs.

It's a market that is living on borrowed time, because the revenue numbers won't support it, due in large part the the amount of revenue the NHL derives from the Canadian teams and TV contract, and the decline in the Canadian dollar. I think Lombardi and Solomon are smart enough to see this and that's why immediately after the deal was done you saw an article stating that Lombardi didn't want to pay Kopitar an AAV of over I think it was $9M (may have been less), but it sounds like Lombardi was told by AEG to get the Kopitar deal done.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Glad we are keeping Kopi as he is the driving force of the offense, however, the team is going to have issues long-term because we are going to end up with half the team making $600,000 a year before long. Unfortunately, baring a trade of a significant CAP players, Lucic is all but gone at the end of the season.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Because this team could be better? Because we still have lost games that we should have won? Because winning by one goal isn't a secure lead?

This could be said of every team to ever play in the NHL. That doesn't mean you change anything. We have a core that has been very successful in the playoffs and is having a franchise best regular season. Stay the course.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Not a fan but DL didn't have much of a choice especially since he gave Brown and Gaborik such long deals. I think it's about 2 million per year rich and will no doubt cost us Lucic and other depth. DL is going to have to find a Panarin or two and/or cut ties with some other players because Kopitar took all the money he could. It's sad that multi millionaires can't take just a little less to keep as much of the team intact. Greedy players and agents are ruining pro sports for me as a fan.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Meh, if Carter were given the 1C linemates, responsibilities, and TOI, he MAY do just as well. Carter's a very good two way forward, who often gets overlooked, because of Kopi. To me, Carter is just as important to the kings as Kopi is. Who knows, with almost 50% less cap hit, he MAY be more valuable than Kopi.

He gets overlooked because Kopitar is better, and you think he'll do just as well as Kopitar if put in the same situation?

In Carter's NHL career, he has led the team in scoring once.

He has never been a Selke finalist.

He has missed 112 regular season games in his career, four times as much as Kopitar.

Last season was the closest Kopitar and Carter had in ice time, and last year is the only year they've missed the playoffs.

Carter has a much more appealing contract, and trade value wise, I agree Carter is more valuable as a cost controlled second line center. But you're kidding yourself if you think he would replace Kopitar.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Kings only have a 1A/1B scenario because they have Kopitar. Kopitar taking the toughest assignments and playing as much as he does allows Carter to do his thing. Carter will never be the guy on a contender. I've been a Carter fan for a looong time and was ecstatic when the Kings got him. He's a game breaking talent, but certainly not a 1C. Kopitar could learn a few things from Carter though. Carter's shot is one of the best in the league and a big reason, besides his acceleration, why he scores so much. Second and third stride and he's gone.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Just curious but, Kopi doesn't get what he wants, doesn't sign with the Kings, who will replace him? And what does that tell the young guys? Work hard, lead the team in points, win two cups, and then walk? Kopitar wants to play for the Kings, he wants to get paid for his past, current, and future accomplishments. Do we say F off Kopi, we want people produce more and earn less. Some of you guys sound like Sears and Safeway share holders. Who will want to go to a team that won't pay them for what they do?

Do some of you seriously expect Kopitar to start playing like Trevor Lewis now that he has his big contract??

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Oh boy, this debate is gonna go on forever. Newsflash: we can't have everything we want, that's the purpose of the salary cap. There aren't supposed to be dynasties in the cap era, yet the Kings have a pretty good shot at getting their 3rd cup in 5 seasons despite this.

Overpaying your stars and cap trouble is the price you pay for multiple championships. It's a good problem to have. And it would be different if there were 30 elite 1Cs in the league, but there aren't, so we gotta suck it up and pay the man.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Just curious but, Kopi doesn't get what he wants, doesn't sign with the Kings, who will replace him? And what does that tell the young guys? Work hard, lead the team in points, win two cups, and then walk? Kopitar wants to play for the Kings, he wants to get paid for his past, current, and future accomplishments. Do we say F off Kopi, we want people produce more and earn less. Some of you guys sound like Sears and Safeway share holders. Who will want to go to a team that won't pay them for what they do?

Do some of you seriously expect Kopitar to start playing like Trevor Lewis now that he has his big contract??

It's still a business, and with any business, the biggest deals are magnified the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad