Your Thoughts on Kopi's Extension

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yet you still didn't answer the questions, and went back to your shotgun statement.

Yes, I went back to saying that the two or three that were the most critical did nothing other than say "pay the man".

I have answered the questions many times. Go search my posts. I'm not going to repeat myself for someone that chooses to ignore what I have written, or misrepresents it.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
as someone else said, Kopitar's contract isnt bad, its the Brown and Gaborik contracts that are causing problems. this deal had to be done and there was no way around it other than a rebuild which would pretty much negate the Doughty/Quick/Carter contracts

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Seriously, again, what's the alternative? We paid him, that's one scenario--another was trade him, another was let him walk. Why are the last two preferable?

Kings17 doesnt have an alternative because there isnt one.

for all the vocal naysayers of Kopitar's contract, I ask you this question: what would you have done otherwise? if you dont have a better plan, its probably in your best interest to keep your crying to yourself

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
We need him to score goals. The number of shots he has taken has gone down consistently for the last two years and he's once again on pace for less that 200 shots taken for the season. He can't just default to passing to Gaborik or Lucic; with that contract, he has to be the man and put the team on his back and shoot and score because he has a great shot. We are a better team when AK is a shooter.

He's putting up 2.1 shots per game vs. 1.6 last year, as well as being 3 goals away form matching his goal total last year. I think he's on the path to solving that issue.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kings17 doesnt have an alternative because there isnt one.

for all the vocal naysayers of Kopitar's contract, I ask you this question: what would you have done otherwise? if you dont have a better plan, its probably in your best interest to keep your crying to yourself

No one is crying. Where do you get that idea?

I probably would have done what Dean eventually had to do. Remember when all of this started Kopitar was coming off his worst season as a pro. He is playing fantastic hockey the last 8 weeks or so, but he wasn't so good at the start of the season. If he continued that trend, would as many people still want to pony up the $10M AAV?

The alternative was actually Kopitar's to take, but he took the money. His choice will affect the depth of the team going forward. There is no way around that. Some here wanted to sign Kopitar to an extension much like the one he received prior to the season. I am glad Dean didn't do that.

People asked me IF Dean and Kopitar didn't agree on terms, what I thought he could get in return in a trade. I threw a few ideas out there. Now people want to re-write history and say I wanted him traded. F right off!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
No one is crying. Where do you get that idea?

I probably would have done what Dean eventually had to do. Remember when all of this started Kopitar was coming off his worst season as a pro. He is playing fantastic hockey the last 8 weeks or so, but he wasn't so good at the start of the season. If he continued that trend, would as many people still want to pony up the $10M AAV?

The alternative was actually Kopitar's to take, but he took the money. His choice will affect the depth of the team going forward. There is no way around that. Some here wanted to sign Kopitar to an extension much like the one he received prior to the season. I am glad Dean didn't do that.

People asked me IF Dean and Kopitar didn't agree on terms, what I thought he could get in return in a trade. I threw a few ideas out there. Now people want to re-write history and say I wanted him traded. F right off!

and just before last season (which was his worst season so far) , he willed the Kings through the playoffs by playing the most dominant hockey we've seen from him yet. but everyone seemed to have forgotten about that, and after his bad season people were screaming "regression! regression! Kopitar is showing his age!". its ridiculous how some people are so quick to turn on a player that has done so incredibly much for a team. he's shown this season he's still is as dominant a center as there is in the NHL and he's still getting better.

as for the "Kopitar shouldve taken less to keep the team together" argument, I dont know how I feel about that. why is the onus on Kopitar to shoulder that kind of responsibility? why isnt it on Dean to not give out ****** contracts? did Crosby/Ovechkin/Toews/Kane take home-town discounts to benefit their team? theres no way someone with Kopitar's ability would settle for less than their market price, and thats what Dean essentially paid him. the term on the contract does suck and will cause problems but you either keep him and eat it or deal with an even more dire situation and thats a Kings team with no Kopitar and no #1 center. can you imagine the state of purgatory us fans would be in if Kopitar walked?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
and just before last season (which was his worst season so far) , he willed the Kings through the playoffs by playing the most dominant hockey we've seen from him yet. but everyone seemed to have forgotten about that, and after his bad season people were screaming "regression! regression! Kopitar is showing his age!". its ridiculous how some people are so quick to turn on a player that has done so incredibly much for a team. he's shown this season he's still is as dominant a center as there is in the NHL and he's still getting better.

as for the "Kopitar shouldve taken less to keep the team together" argument, I dont know how I feel about that. why is the onus on Kopitar to shoulder that kind of responsibility? why isnt it on Dean to not give out ****** contracts? did Crosby/Ovechkin/Toews/Kane take home-town discounts to benefit their team? theres no way someone with Kopitar's ability would settle for less than their market price, and thats what Dean essentially paid him. the term on the contract does suck and will cause problems but you either keep him and eat it or deal with an even more dire situation and thats a Kings team with no Kopitar and no #1 center

Again, I didn't expect him to take a hometown discount. What I said, and maybe you should read this next part over and over until you get it, is that the economic realities in the world today DO NOT support the type of cap growth that make $10M AAV contracts a good idea.

Dean, from reading and listening to his interviews, obviously tried to impress this idea upon Kopitar. Kopitar obviously didn't care. It's done. Now Dean has to further reduce the depth in the organization to rid the team of Brown's contract, or he has to keep Brown and pay a guy more than he is worth. We better get used to that idea around here, because Dean just handed out another "not so good" (for you Holden) long term contract. Bring on the lockout in I believe the 2020-21 season.

Last edited:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Sutter, on Anze Kopitar’s extension:
I think that it wasn’t breaking news. [Reporter: But his worth to the franchise and having him locked up for such a long time and being able to keep the core together.] The bottom line with a guy like Kopitar is his best years are in front of him. Guys get rewarded for winning Stanley Cups and when they’re with one franchise for that period of time when you’ve won Cups, then everybody’s looking forward to the next part with them. [Reporter: But 80 million dollars is a stunning number, right?] It’s a lot. When you think about it, when the salary cap years started probably, [that’s] what the whole cap was when it was first put in place.He’s worth every penny of it. It’s got nothing to do with that. You win championships with players like that. Very, very clear. He’s worth every penny. [Reporter: What’s the most you ever made in a season?] I don’t know. I don’t like talking about that. I don’t know. They get more in one check than what we used to get in a whole year.
source: http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/01/16/january-16-postgame-quotes-darryl-sutter-2/

that's good enough for me.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
as far as him discounting to 8.5 or so thats comes to 12 MILLION over the contract and I dare anyone to say they would do that and we are all fans of the team, there is either a crown or a ugly plate with a crown over all my hats and half my shirts etc and I wouldn't consider it honestly and neither would anyone here, and it is unfair to ask a kid living in California with our tax rate to do that, if its truly money he wanted he would be gone to dallas or a florida team for more AAV and lower tax rate. Like others have said who would we have replaced him with, and we are dumb fans so you know both kopi and his agent know this and could have stuck it to us and we would have to lose martinez or muzzin instead of lewis or cliffy, it will be a sad day when we lose these guys but it would have been lights out close that window you all keep talking about without the big guy

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
unbelievable, I wonder who #1 is

I don't know, but thinking it likely someone who plays shutdown and doesn't produce much at all.

The correct answer? #1 is.....

....Joe Pavelski, still the most underrated player in the league.

And actually when you run the numbers from 2013 till now I get Kopitar at 1.71 GA/60 and Pavelski at 1.68. Bergeron is at 30th at 1.99, Hossa is 7 at 1.8, Toews 27 at 1.97, etc.

If you cut it down to 2k minutes played, Kopi drops to 10 behind TB's triplets, The Stepan-Kreider-x line, Brandon Sutter, Jarret Stoll (lol!), Trevor Lewis, and, #1....Tyler Toffoli.

If you go to CF% Kopi smokes everyone at 59.3%...Bergeron 2nd at 58.4%, Pavelski 8 at 56.4%, and so on....change that to 2k minutes and the only difference is Toffoli jumps to #2.

Fun stuff. Pavelski is criminally underrated as are a lot of those guys at the top honestly. But thanks to Ryan Lambert trying to find new ways to troll the Kings, asking if Kopi is the best player in the league is going to get people calling him OVERrated again :laugh:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
The correct answer? #1 is.....

....Joe Pavelski, still the most underrated player in the league.

And actually when you run the numbers from 2013 till now I get Kopitar at 1.71 GA/60 and Pavelski at 1.68. Bergeron is at 30th at 1.99, Hossa is 7 at 1.8, Toews 27 at 1.97, etc.

If you cut it down to 2k minutes played, Kopi drops to 10 behind TB's triplets, The Stepan-Kreider-x line, Brandon Sutter, Jarret Stoll (lol!), Trevor Lewis, and, #1....Tyler Toffoli.

If you go to CF% Kopi smokes everyone at 59.3%...Bergeron 2nd at 58.4%, Pavelski 8 at 56.4%, and so on....change that to 2k minutes and the only difference is Toffoli jumps to #2.

Fun stuff. Pavelski is criminally underrated as are a lot of those guys at the top honestly. But thanks to Ryan Lambert trying to find new ways to troll the Kings, asking if Kopi is the best player in the league is going to get people calling him OVERrated again :laugh:

I see you felt like going and looking. I didn't.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
market rate for a true #1C, especially one that is one of the top five in the world. it is what it is, because Toews contract set the mark.

DL and the Kings had no choice but to resign him, if they didn't LA immediately drops down a notch and i wouldn't consider them a SC favorite. without Kopitar down the middle LA becomes much easier to play against.

the only problem i have is term due to his age. the age factor will always be a huge factor post 30.

the money side will always scale north, its a fact of life. contracts don't go down, they increase. the only concern i have with the money is the cap scaling north as it should be, instead of being stagnant the way it is looking.

a stagnant salary cap with the amount of long term contracts that DL has may lead to guys down the road having to be moved. ie, Toffoli, Pearson, etc. that is my chief concern at this point but i guarantee Dean has a plan....so i roll with it and am happy we get Kopi most likely until he retires.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That's one way to look at it. The other way would be to note only one other team -Washington- has a bigger divisional lead than us and we are 4th overall with games in hand in all the teams ahead of us. We are kicking ass, tinker with this team is just dumb.

How is Kopitar shooting more and creating rebounds and or scoring, tinkering? I don't really see a downside.

Also, is that pace sustainable?

He's putting up 2.1 shots per game vs. 1.6 last year, as well as being 3 goals away form matching his goal total last year. I think he's on the path to solving that issue.

That is still only 172.2 shots per season. Yeah, three goals away and that is good, but he is a much better player than 24.23 goals and we could really use an extra ten from him.

P.S. This is not at all fantasy hockey related, I just think he can be and is better than his stats indicate. He could do more and it would make the Kings better. At 10mil a year? He needs to IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad