Your Thoughts on Kopi's Extension

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I am not thrilled because that is a ton of money, but what was the alternative? There are a lot of things that can happen in the next ten years, and honestly, Kopi sometimes goes missing for long stretches offensively. It worries me.

On the other hand, Kopi has been complete warrior for us at times, and especially in the playoffs. We certainly don't have two cups without him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kopitar is overpaid by what, maybe a million? I think I'd rather overpay for a guy like him versus a Dustin Brown or David Clarkson. Those guys are overpaid by about $3M.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I never understand the "kopi slumps offensively statements" the guy has been remarkably consistent. But there will always be points in a season where a player scores less then he does at other points of the season. Not like he is going to get 8.5 points in every 10 game segment.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Kopitar is overpaid by what, maybe a million? I think I'd rather overpay for a guy like him versus a Dustin Brown or David Clarkson. Those guys are overpaid by about $3M.

Completely agree

Carter did struggle last season taking Kopis hard minutes last year (and on the road). I don't think the Kings would do any damage without 11.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I never understand the "kopi slumps offensively statements" the guy has been remarkably consistent. But there will always be points in a season where a player scores less then he does at other points of the season. Not like he is going to get 8.5 points in every 10 game segment.

We need him to score goals. The number of shots he has taken has gone down consistently for the last two years and he's once again on pace for less that 200 shots taken for the season. He can't just default to passing to Gaborik or Lucic; with that contract, he has to be the man and put the team on his back and shoot and score because he has a great shot. We are a better team when AK is a shooter.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If you guys think about it, the contract negotiations could have been completed the very first day. Kopi basically got EXACTLY what he wanted. Other than the partial NMC in the second half of the term, Kopi pretty much drew up his own contract.

In a couple of years, Lombardi's gonna have to bend over again, for Doughty, if he plan on maintaining his services.

Last edited:

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
We need him to score goals. The number of shots he has taken has gone down consistently for the last two years and he's once again on pace for less that 200 shots taken for the season. He can't just default to passing to Gaborik or Lucic; with that contract, he has to be the man and put the team on his back and shoot and score because he has a great shot. We are a better team when AK is a shooter.

The Kings are in the midst of their best season in franchise history. Kopitar has been their best and most effective forward to this point in the season. Why change anything?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ofcourse he got what he wanted, you guys who thought he was going to sign for anything less or give some kind of hometown discount were ridiculous. You guys who criticized other teams who were in an identical spot to the Kings were ridiculous too.

Will say the same thing I said with Toews/Kane, it's not ideal and we will lose lesser players because of it, but it doesn't matter because it's way easier to replace a Milan Lucic or Patrick Sharp than it is to replace an Anze Kopitar or Jonathan Toews. When you have players of this caliber, who have won multiple championships you don't trade them or let them walk. You overpay them, win games and hang their jerseys from the rafters.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The Kings are in the midst of their best season in franchise history. Kopitar has been their best and most effective forward to this point in the season. Why change anything?

Because this team could be better? Because we still have lost games that we should have won? Because winning by one goal isn't a secure lead?

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. Seems like we are a good team the way with the way that kopitar currently plays. He generates a lot of shots for his teammates. Its Not like the kings aren't shooting when he's on the ice. I think Kopi needs to be a dominant 2 way center for our team to be successful.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lombardi has a hard-on for Lucic, but he got ****ed by Kopi.

It doesn't matter, if the money isn't there he is leaving. I personally hope they work something out but whether or not you can re-sign Milan Lucic has no bearing on Kopitar's situation.

And how did he get screwed by Kopitar? Because he gave him a market value contract in line with Kopitar's most comparable players in the league?

The hometown discount nonsense has to stop.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
It doesn't matter, if the money isn't there he is leaving. I personally hope they work something out but whether or not you can re-sign Milan Lucic has no bearing on Kopitar.

No doubt. However, I think DL will make sure the money IS there. We will have to trade Brownie+ to do it, but I think at this point, DL has no other choice.

DL got screwed because Kopi pretty much got everything he wanted, as I had previously posted. NMC, 8 year term...

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
No doubt. However, I think DL will make sure the money IS there. We will have to trade Brownie+ to do it, but I think at this point, DL has no other choice.

DL got screwed because Kopi pretty much got everything he wanted, as I had previously posted. NMC, 8 year term...

How did Dean get screwed? He agreed to it?

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010

Because DL felt he was worth it. It's a circular argument. If DL feels that it's better to have Kopi at that contract then it is to not have kopi. Then boom he's worth it.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Do you guys really think that DL happily gave Kopi a 8 year deal, and a NMC??? DL had no choice BUT to agree. It's either sign Kopi to everything he wanted, or lose him.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Do you guys really think that DL happily gave Kopi a 8 year deal, and a NMC??? DL had no choice BUT to agree. It's either sign Kopi to everything he wanted, or lose him.

Of course he would have preferred lower AAV and term.... But that doesn't mean Dean got screwed by kopitar. If Dean thought he was getting screwed, he would look for trade options.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Of course he would have preferred lower AAV and term.... But that doesn't mean Dean got screwed by kopitar. If Dean thought he was getting screwed, he would look for trade options.

That's a big negative chief. DL is much better off signing Kopi to everything he wanted, than to trade him as a pending UFA.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Every offseason gets more interesting as the objectives and difficulties change as this team changes, this summer'll be another fun one.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
That's a big negative chief. DL is much better off signing Kopi to everything he wanted, than to trade him as a pending UFA.

I think you answered it yourself.... The bolded section pretty much covers it all... So if he was much better off signing Kopi, how did Dean get screwed?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It doesn't matter, if the money isn't there he is leaving. I personally hope they work something out but whether or not you can re-sign Milan Lucic has no bearing on Kopitar's situation.

And how did he get screwed by Kopitar? Because he gave him a market value contract in line with Kopitar's most comparable players in the league?

The hometown discount nonsense has to stop.

If Dean can't unload Brown, Lucic is leaving. I don't see why another GM would take Brown unless it is a young team that might buy him out a couple of years down the line, and Dean includes a young roster player like McNabb or Pearson in the deal. I don't see anything in the Kings farm system that I would want to take on the Brown contract.

Again, the Kane and Toews deals were done when Bowman expected cap inflation to continue, so you may have an argument there. The Kopitar deal just got done with the GM knowing that the cap will be stagnant or go down. I never said Kopitar should take a hometown discount. I said his cap number should reflect the economic reality that exists today.

I also said that Bowman was making a big bet on the COME, and he is going to lose that bet. The Kopitar contract is one of the three richest contracts in the league based off a salary cap assumption that proved to be false. How the hell is that market value? Is Kopitar one of the three top players in the NHL? No, he isn't even the best player on his own team.

Read Dreger. Dean didn't want to pay it, then AEG came in and said give it to him. Dean's his own man, but why do I have the sense that this might have someone else's fingerprints on it just a little?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Dean can't unload Brown, Lucic is leaving. I don't see why another GM would take Brown unless it is a young team that might buy him out a couple of years down the line, and Dean includes a young roster player like McNabb or Pearson in the deal. I don't see anything in the Kings farm system that I would want to take on the Brown contract.

Again, the Kane and Toews deals were done when Bowman expected cap inflation to continue, so you may have an argument there. The Kopitar deal just got done with the GM knowing that the cap will be stagnant or go down. I never said Kopitar should take a hometown discount. I said his cap number should reflect the economic reality that exists today.

I also said that Bowman was making a big bet on the COME, and he is going to lose that bet. The Kopitar contract is one of the three richest contracts in the league based off a salary cap assumption that proved to be false. How the hell is that market value? Is Kopitar one of the three top players in the NHL? No, he isn't even the best player on his own team.

Read Dreger. Dean didn't want to pay it, then AEG came in and said give it to him. Dean's his own man, but why do I have the sense that this might have someone else's fingerprints on it just a little?

Simple question--do you think another team pays less for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad