HF Habs: Your Pre & Post 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Oooo fun, this is my list based on progression/upside/opinion and completely ignoring risk/odds. Should be fun to look back at

Tier One (Top Line F/Top Pair D):
1. Sean Farrell

Had it not been for Harvard’s season getting cancelled bc of covid he’d have a roster spot next season. Has the pedigree and potential of an elite forward. US hockey knows this and with the Habs/US Hockey connections i’m sure the new management feels the same. He’s in a tier of his own for forwards here and no one is close.
2. Jordan Harris
He blew my low expectations out of the water in his few NHL games. His combination of skating/poise and zero puck movers aside from Wideman I feel he’ll be MSL’s pet and move up the lineup with ease. I think he’s a player that will benefit when surrounded with NHL talent. Analytic darling #3/4 is more likely but my gut can’t rule out top pair so he’s here.

Tier Two (Top 6F/Top 4D):
3. Justin Barron

Chad pickup. Confidence and poise oozing in the O-Zone and non existent in the D-Zone. I think he’s ready but I totally understand if he’s with Laval next year. PP2 quarterback.
4. Kaiden Guhle
I like what I see, intriguing stuff. I’d prefer he‘s on the big club next year surrounded with NHL talent. I don’t see Laval doing much for his offense.
5. Josh Roy
I don’t see it, i’m sorry. I think we have a product of the worst QMJHL i’ve seen in my lifetime, but I can’t ignore the progress and pedigree. Ranking him outside of this tier feels overly pessimistic.

Tier Three (Middle 6F/Bottom Pair D)
6. Jesse Ylonen

Can fix his flaws with speed. Safe bet to be regular bottom 6 forward with a positive impact.
7. Raphael Harvey Pinard
He’s worked his ass off to get to where he is and I see no reason he doesn’t get a full NHL season in his career, even if it’s not with us.
8. Riley Kidney
Long shot prospect but there’s no arguing the skill and progression. Too bad the Q stinks, we won’t know what we have here until it comes time for the AHL.

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
9. Jan Mysak

The forgotten prospect who will quietly pump out a season or two as a 12th/13th forward and makes you go “wait he actually made it?”
10. Emil Heinemen
No read on this guy besides being a worse Ylonen. HuGo likes him so he’ll get a chunk of NHL games I would think.

Tier Five (a few NHL games/below replacement NHLers)
11. Logan Mailloux

Stupid pick, fun gamble. Loved the upside but there’s just zero chance this guys catches up on lost time. CHL/AHL adjustment is hard enough. Lost cause. Gets a game because he was a 1st round pick.
12. Mathias Norlinder
Can’t help but feel like he was Bergevin’d and wrecked by concussions. Might get a cup of coffee next year but good luck. You were my chosen one before Harris.

Tier Six (I like them but it’s pure hopium):
13. Xavier Simoneau

Pure hopium because I love small point farmers from the Q. Loved the pick. Let’s hope for a nice AHL season next year.
14. Luke Tuch
I think we see a regression to the mean here, he was drafted to be a fun 4th liner anyway. Long live the Tuch Mysak Prohecy.
15. Ty Smilanic
Bought the dip? Maybe Wisconsin can fix him.
16. Josh Brook
Not ready to write him off yet. My confidence in Laval is getting a bit stronger.

Tier Seven (AHLer)
17. Arber Xhekaj

Crystal ball says he does not make the pro jump smoothly and gets swapped for an AHLer in two seasons. I’ve had a ton of fun watching him though, cool story too.
18. Gianni Fairbrother
19. Joel Teasdale

Tier Eight (Pro player in some capacity/Not Signed)
21. Oliver Kapanen
22. Blake Biondi
23. Rhett Pitlick

Tier Nine (Who?)
20. Dimitri Kostenko

This guy was a third rounder? First time i’ve read his name since the draft. Is there something here?

Tier 10 (The Trevor Timmins Memorial Graveyard)
24. Jayden Struble

He’s better than this range but he was Timmins parting gift so he has to go here. DA GREEK FREAK.
25. Jack Smith
what the f***?
26. Arvid Henriksson
Pretty sure this guy was drafted when I was a freshman in high school. I can’t believe his name is still here lmao.
27. Kieran Ruchienski
I actually feel bad for him. The first ever pity pick in the hockey history. Unborn Habs fans will stumble across this on hockeydb in 20 years and laugh.
For fun, here’s my post draft rankings with the new guys:

1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Sean Farrell
3. Lane Hutson
4. Jordan Harris

5. Justin Barron
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Filip Mesar
8. Josh Roy

9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Owen Beck
11. Raphael Harvey Pinard
12. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
13. Emil Heinemen
14. Jan Mysak
15. Vinzenz Rohrer

Tier Five (a few NHL games/replacement NHLers)
16. Logan Mailloux
17. Mathias Norlinder

Tier Six (I like them but it’s a long shot):
18. Xavier Simoneau
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

• Hutson’s upside gets a spot in the top tier
• Mesar needs a big season to stay in his tier, I do like the pick.
• Beck could very easily push into the next tier, he was one of my favourite guys in the 20-40 range of this draft
• Rohrer is awesome

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Sean Farrell
3. Lane Hutson
4. Jordan Harris

5. Justin Barron
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Filip Mesar
8. Josh Roy

9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Owen Beck
12. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
13. Emil Heinemen
14. Jan Mysak
15. Vinzenz Rohrer

16. Logan Mailloux
17. Mathias Norlinder

18. Xavier Simoneau
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

• Beck could very easily push into the next tier, he was one of my favourite guys in the 20-40 range of this draft
• Rohrer is awesome
How is Harris a top-2d?

How is RHP an anything???????

How is Logan Mailloux not a potential top-4 D?

Why is Norlinder on this list, did he move to forward?

How is Ylonen above so many? What has he shown?

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
How is Harris a top-2d?

How is RHP an anything???????

How is Logan Mailloux not a potential top-4 D?

Why is Norlinder on this list, did he move to forward?

How is Ylonen above so many? What has he shown?
Harris is one of my favourites, his game favours todays game and he’ll flourish with better players. Low chance but it’s there imo.

What’s not to like about RHP? He’s got a chip on his shoulder and gets better every year, 21 goals in the AHL at 22, how is a potential 3rd liner a stretch?

I liked the Mailloux pick but he’s a massive project who has a handful of games in the past two years, good luck. His chances and realistic upside shrink by the day.

Norlinder is a mediocre prospect ranked in a mediocre range? I’m not a fan but he deserves to be listed 17th, no?

Ylonen’s shown a translatable game, NHL speed and didn’t look out of place in the big league? Solid, no?

Jul 6, 2016
So far it was easy for Hughes to deal good players like Lehkonen , Romanov and Toffoli and UFA Chiarot, Kulak. But I will respect him way more when he will get rid of Drouin, Hoffman, Armia or eve n Gallagher and Petry. He is receiving lots of calls for Anderson. Another easy guy to trade because he has real value.

My main concern is that Hughes and Gorton are fleecing the team badly. Get rid of key cogs who can help the rebuilt and keeping the dead wood .

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Lurk

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Tier One (Top Line F/Top Pair D) including a comparison in terms of style and potential:
1. Juraj Slafkovsky (between Armia and Jagr, hopefully Svechnikov level)
2. Sean Farrell (Johnny Gaudreau)
3. Lane Hutson (Quinn Hughes)
4. Kaiden Guhle (Ryan McDonagh)
5. Justin Barron (Jeff Petry)

6. Logan Mailloux
7. Filip Mesar
8. Joshua Roy
9. Jordan Harris

10. Owen Beck
11. Emil Heinemen
12. Riley Kidney
13. Arber Xhekaj

Tier Four (Depth/replacement NHLers)
14. Vinzenz Rohrer
15. Jesse Ylonen
16. Jared Davidson
17. Raphael Harvey Pinard
18. Jan Mysak
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
It’s the deepest pool of prospects I’ve seen since I am following it in 2003. But even after the 1st pick, we miss top end talent

Reactions: Big Lurk

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So far it was easy for Hughes to deal good players like Lehkonen , Romanov and Toffoli and UFA Chiarot, Kulak. But I will respect him way more when he will get rid of Drouin, Hoffman, Armia or eve n Gallagher and Petry. He is receiving lots of calls for Anderson. Another easy guy to trade because he has real value.

My main concern is that Hughes and Gorton are fleecing the team badly. Get rid of key cogs who can help the rebuilt and keeping the dead wood .
Byron, Drouin, Dadonov & Allen max return will be as deadline approaches.

Hoffman & Armia have & will be more difficult to move due to contract term - unless it’s a swap for underperforming contract.

Gallagher needs a rebound season, which BTW I fully expect given the time he’s been accorded this offseason to train, rest & recouperate

Jul 6, 2016
Byron, Drouin, Dadonov & Allen max return will be as deadline approaches.

Hoffman & Armia have & will be more difficult to move due to contract term - unless it’s a swap for underperforming contract.

Gallagher needs a rebound season, which BTW I fully expect given the time he’s been accorded this offseason to train, rest & recouperate
I am expecting Byron not to play at all this season, and possibly never again. His body cannot endure NHL hockey anymore. Drouin is just a huge enigma. Is it physical, mental or both at the same time ?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
1-Slafkovsky
2-Dobes
3-Guhle
4-Primeau
5-Mesar
6-Barron
7-Heineman
8-Mailloux
9-Beck
10-Xhekaj
11-Farrell
12-Hudson
13-Roy
14-Ylonen
15-Norlinder
16-Rohrer
17-Kidney
18-Harris
19-Engstrom
20-Mysak/RHP

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Sean Farrell
3. Lane Hutson
4. Jordan Harris

5. Justin Barron
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Filip Mesar
8. Josh Roy

9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Owen Beck
12. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
13. Emil Heinemen
14. Jan Mysak
15. Vinzenz Rohrer

16. Logan Mailloux
17. Mathias Norlinder

18. Xavier Simoneau
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

• Rohrer is awesome
Xhekaj?

Smooth skating Engstrom?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Sean Farrell
3. Lane Hutson
4. Jordan Harris

5. Justin Barron
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Filip Mesar
8. Josh Roy

9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Owen Beck
12. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
13. Emil Heinemen
14. Jan Mysak
15. Vinzenz Rohrer

16. Logan Mailloux
17. Mathias Norlinder

18. Xavier Simoneau
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

• Rohrer is awesome
Vinzenz Rohrer won't be a depth NHLer

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Xhekaj?

Smooth skating Engstrom?
Xhekaj has a cool story and stuff, his growth curve is intriguing. Looked like an overager physically dominating OHL kids to me, those types don’t make the AHL jump very well. I’m just hesitant to give him a label until we see him in Laval.

I’ve never seen or heard of Engstrom before the pick. I’ve only dug into some reports (Blackbook, EliteProspects, Twitter) but i’m intrigued, seems like he was a late blooming favorite in the scouting community. Didn’t want to rank players i haven’t watched yet. There’s a spot waiting for him when the season gets going.

Vinzenz Rohrer won't be a depth NHLer
Are you not a fan of him at all or do you think he’s a top 9 or bust kinda guy? I think he’s a smart cookie, seems like he’ll adapt his game however necessary if the offense doesn’t come.

Reactions: 26Mats

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Xhekaj has a cool story and stuff, his growth curve is intriguing. Looked like an overager physically dominating OHL kids to me, those types don’t make the AHL jump very well. I’m just hesitant to give him a label until we see him in Laval.

I’ve never seen or heard of Engstrom before the pick. I’ve only dug into some reports (Blackbook, EliteProspects, Twitter) but i’m intrigued, seems like he was a late blooming favorite in the scouting community. Didn’t want to rank players i haven’t watched yet. There’s a spot waiting for him when the season gets going.

Are you not a fan of him at all or do you think he’s a top 9 or bust kinda guy? I think he’s a smart cookie, seems like he’ll adapt his game however necessary if the offense doesn’t come.
I think Vinzenz can be a Gallagher type - we probably stole a 1st rounder on this one.

A top 6 grinder.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Mesar - Beck - Slafkovsky
Farrell - Kidney - Roy
RHP - Mysak - Ylonen
Heineman - Kapanen - Rohrer
Guindon

Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Norlinder - Mailloux
Hutson

Primeau
Dichow
Dobes

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Sean Farrell
3. Lane Hutson
4. Jordan Harris

5. Justin Barron
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Filip Mesar
8. Josh Roy

9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Owen Beck
12. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
13. Emil Heinemen
14. Jan Mysak
15. Vinzenz Rohrer

16. Logan Mailloux
17. Mathias Norlinder

18. Xavier Simoneau
19. Luke Tuch
20. Ty Smilanic
21. Cedrick Guindon

• Rohrer is awesome

I have a feeling Rohrer will climb those rankings pretty quickly.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If we re-draft Habs draft 2022:

1 - Lane Hutson
26 - Juraj Slafkovsky
33 - Owen Beck
62 - Adam Engstrom
75 - Vinzenz Rohrer
92 - Filip Mesar

Not bad at all!

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
With Slaf, too much emphasis on size, with Hutson, not enough emphasis on size. For all his talent, we still don't know if Hutson will end up physically strong enough to be a complete D at the NHL level. People are pointing out all kinds of weaknesses for other prospects, but in the case of Hustson the glaring one is overlooked by too many.

Reactions: LesHabitants

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad