HF Habs: Your Pre & Post 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I have the opposite opinion.

I feel our core has rapidly and clearly took place and although its still infant and need much more development, i think its promising as f***.

(Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, Newhook

Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson)

Slafkovsky, Beck, Hutson, Dach, Reinbacher, Newhook.

Quite the f***ing haul in two years. We don't know how it will evolve but HuGo may have turned this franchise on a dime.

I think you're in for a shock, we need 5 more 1st rounders at this pace as 30-40% of these "core" pieces will fail as core pieces. + We don't have first-line potential forwards in our prospect pool (unlike Buffalo, for example).

It mostly depends on 2 players if we'll be in a good spot or not. Dach and Reinbacher. The rest can be just average if these become part of the elite of the league. If Dach or Reinbacher fail, the we'll be drafting top 5 in 2026, 2027 etc. in a 2nd round of rebuilding.

Now, maybe we'll be gifted a 2nd top 10 pick next year via Calgary, that could help tremendously. We need to get lucky at least one f* time.

Celebrini

Wham bam, thank you, mam

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think you're in for a shock, we need 5 more 1st rounders at this pace as 30-40% of these "core" pieces will fail as core pieces. + We don't have first-line potential forwards in our prospect pool (unlike Buffalo, for example).

It mostly depends on 2 players if we'll be in a good spot or not. Dach and Reinbacher. The rest can be just average if these become part of the elite of the league. If Dach or Reinbacher fail, the we'll be drafting top 5 in 2026, 2027 etc. in a 2nd round of rebuilding.

Now, maybe we'll be gifted a 2nd top 10 pick next year via Calgary, that could help tremendously. We need to get lucky at least one f* time.

Celebrini

Wham bam, thank you, mam

Excellent contribution, and a point too rarely made around these parts. Repeat after me people: shit. happens.

Reactions: Andrei79 and SOLR

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not much offense in your list
Yes, I was hoping for Michkov and Dubois to add to our young core.

But Dubois didn't want to come here afterall and HuGo did a thorough analysis and think Reinbacher will help us win cups more than Michkov.

So we still have to get the offense somehow going forward.

Reactions: Gustave

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yes, I was hoping for Michkov and Dubois to add to our young core.

But Dubois didn't want to come here afterall and HuGo did a thorough analysis and think Reinbacher will help us win cups more than Michkov.

So we still have to get the offense somehow going forward.
It's not precise or fair to say Dubois didn't want to join the Habs. The Habs didn't offer the trade value the Kings did so Dubois didn't force the trade to Montreal at the expense of the Jets. It could also be that even had the Habs put forth a winning trade offer, they simply didn't have the better contract offer on the table. You can't say Dubois owes it to Montreal to take less money than he is offered elsewhere.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Celebrini

Wham bam, thank you, mam
These core pieces are all already half proven tho.

Suzuki we can say is 65-70pts, legit 2C.
Caufield is a 40goal threat, if not more. (49g in 82g against MSL)
Dach paced for 53 points last year but he has a big impact all over the ice.
Newhook and Slaf, it remains to be seen but they are already in the NHL and both showed promises on their own.

Guhle already showed top-pair quality but will need to see consistency
Hutson is a world beater and Reinbacher is as good a D prospect as you get.

So i do agree with, you if Dach reach his upside (70pts, impactful 1C) and Reinbacher too (top pair RD). Everything else will fall into places. Thats not counting on lesser prospects that could also emerge (mailloux,roy,beck for example)

We then won't need Maclin Celebrini. Because at this point we will be in a spot to be agressive on the trade market for the big player or on the UFA top dog.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully Hughes sticks to the plan and over the next 3 years continues to move contracts for assets that fit long term.

We already have 4 1st round picks in those 3 years but will hopefully add to that. I think we are on the right path.... but it will still take longer and as @SOLR said we will need these guys to reach their potential. Hughes seems to understand that his job is to help these players reach full potential and seems to be actively working on it... thus the culture and G picks this year.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
These core pieces are all already half proven tho.

Suzuki we can say is 65-70pts, legit 2C.
Caufield is a 40goal threat, if not more. (49g in 82g against MSL)
Dach paced for 53 points last year but he has a big impact all over the ice.
Newhook and Slaf, it remains to be seen but they are already in the NHL and both showed promises on their own.

Guhle already showed top-pair quality but will need to see consistency
Hutson is a world beater and Reinbacher is as good a D prospect as you get.

So i do agree with, you if Dach reach his upside (70pts, impactful 1C) and Reinbacher too (top pair RD). Everything else will fall into places. Thats not counting on lesser prospects that could also emerge (mailloux,roy,beck for example)

We then won't need Maclin Celebrini. Because at this point we will be in a spot to be agressive on the trade market for the big player or on the UFA top dog.

If everything works out we'll be golden. Do you ever find it exhausting to always assume the best and always be somewhat disappointed? Surely at some point you must notice that people get injured, bust, just don't have it anymore, fall out with their teams, and just plain aren't very good. Why do you not account for it in your analysis?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
What I gather looking at the lists is that Mesar is a whiff, and I agree.

We are thin on O, Roy and Beck will have to be NHL players to help this rebuilding go along.

Slaf is absent from the lists but I would presume his start on the season will be in Laval for a smoother transition to NA hockey and ice size. A re-do of his development should really really help propel him into a top 6 role in the futur.

Hutson
Reinbacher
Slaf
Mailloux
Roy
Beck
Heineman
Farrell
Engstrom
Struble
Kidney

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If everything works out we'll be golden. Do you ever find it exhausting to always assume the best and always be somewhat disappointed? Surely at some point you must notice that people get injured, bust, just don't have it anymore, fall out with their teams, and just plain aren't very good. Why do you not account for it in your analysis?

This is a good point. People and management here have gotten too used to hope as a long term strategy. I mean, you need some luck, but luck is preparation meeting opportunity and it just seems this team is either unprepared or whiffs on opportunities, or both. It's not as bad as it used to be, but there needs to be more, much more. At least, in terms of darts on the board to get a player with the potential for 100 points.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
It looks ok, but when compare to Buffalo, with the players they have graduated over the last 2-3 years and the absolute studs they still have in the pipeline... Habs have a LOT of work to do!
Buffalo has been in a continuous rebuild for over ten years, I would expect that they have higher rated prospects by now and somehow they can’t seem to make the playoffs. Since 2015 the Sabres have these first round picks (2-8-8-1-7-8-1-14-9-16-13) and the Habs have these (26-9-25-3-15-16-31-1-5). That’s a very big difference in draft positions and they were also very lucky to get a franchise player in Dahlin and Eichel who they got some good value back when he was traded. Habs management during most of that time period had quite a few swings and misses and traded one of the most talented D prospects we had for Drouin who wasn’t exactly a great get.

Reactions: jaffy27

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Man, oh man our prospect list is bad. If everything works out with the prospects we have now we'll be a playoff bubble team once more.

I guess we can keep tanking in hopes of getting a set of first line forwards.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reinbacher
Hutson

Beck
Farrell
Roy
Mailloux
Heineman
Fowler
Dobes

Mesar
Engstrom
Konyushkov
Struble
Kapanen
Kidney

Davidson
Primeau
Trudeau
Miller
Nurmi

Norlinder
Beaudin
Volokhin
Croteau
Tourigny
Tuch
Biondi
Xhekaj
Rohrer
Guindon

Harris
Eriksson
Pitlick
Mysak
Simoneau

Smilanic
Mittelstadt
Kostenko

Vrbetic
Sobolev

Gordin

Smith

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
1.) Reinbacher
2.) Hutson
3.) Mailloux
4.) Roy
5.) Heineman
6.) Engström
7.) Beck
8.) Farrell
9.) Kidney
10.) Dobes

Lots of mobile defence, very - and I can't emphasize this enough - speculative offence. Could be a couple really good forwards in that group, but it could also be absolutely nothing.
My list is pretty similar. Not giving up on Mesar just yet though, I’d have him 8 or 9th right with Farrell and Kidney.

Tier 1: Mailloux/Hutson/Reinbacher
Tier 2: Roy/Heineman/Beck/Engstrom
Tier 3: Farrell/Mesar/Kidney

Tempted to put Roy tier 1.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Buffalo has been in a continuous rebuild for over ten years, I would expect that they have higher rated prospects by now and somehow they can’t seem to make the playoffs. Since 2015 the Sabres have these first round picks (2-8-8-1-7-8-1-14-9-16-13) and the Habs have these (26-9-25-3-15-16-31-1-5). That’s a very big difference in draft positions and they were also very lucky to get a franchise player in Dahlin and Eichel who they got some good value back when he was traded. Habs management during most of that time period had quite a few swings and misses and traded one of the most talented D prospects we had for Drouin who wasn’t exactly a great get.

Yeah, even with the luck of the lottery, there is also the luck of sucking in the right drafts. Huge difference having a Dahlin vs a Slaf at the top of the board. They have done a terrific job at stacking talent in the last 5 years. I doubt either of Slaf or Reinbacher would crack the top 5 of the U23 of the Sabres group.

I'll even go on record here. Buffalo's playoff drought will end this coming season, and they will win the cup within the next 3 years. I just hope the Habs can load up on talent in the next 2-3 years like the Sabres and Sens

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What I gather looking at the lists is that Mesar is a whiff, and I agree.

We are thin on O, Roy and Beck will have to be NHL players to help this rebuilding go along.

Slaf is absent from the lists but I would presume his start on the season will be in Laval for a smoother transition to NA hockey and ice size. A re-do of his development should really really help propel him into a top 6 role in the futur.

Hutson
Reinbacher
Slaf
Mailloux
Roy
Beck
Heineman
Farrell
Engstrom
Struble
Kidney

Completely agree with your rankings, but I would have Reinbacher ahead of Hutson. Only change I’d make.

Slaf definitely needs a reboot. Would be great if they could stack Laval with Slaf, Reinbacher, Farrell, Roy and the likes.

Reactions: Gustave

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
My list is pretty similar. Not giving up on Mesar just yet though, I’d have him 8 or 9th right with Farrell and Kidney.

Tier 1: Mailloux/Hutson/Reinbacher
Tier 2: Roy/Heineman/Beck/Engstrom
Tier 3: Farrell/Mesar/Kidney

Tempted to put Roy tier 1.

I'm really excited to see what Roy can do in the pros this year. He has a really wide distribution of outcomes, including some very good ones.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm really excited to see what Roy can do in the pros this year. He has a really wide distribution of outcomes, including some very good ones.
I’m pretty sold on Roy. I don’t think the ceiling is superstar or anything, but I think he’ll end up a quality 2nd line winger with PP1 time. Like, I think that outcome is more likely than not.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's not precise or fair to say Dubois didn't want to join the Habs. The Habs didn't offer the trade value the Kings did so Dubois didn't force the trade to Montreal at the expense of the Jets. It could also be that even had the Habs put forth a winning trade offer, they simply didn't have the better contract offer on the table. You can't say Dubois owes it to Montreal to take less money than he is offered elsewhere.

If Dubois wanted to come here more than LA he could have come here. He could have waited until next summer. And yeah he could have settled for 8 years, 63M instead of 8 years 68M if that's what it came down to.

More precise way of saying it would have been: Dubois didn't exclusively want to come to Montreal, or perhaps even more accurately (need info to confirm this) Dubois didn't didn't exclusively want to come to Montreal and was happy to use Montreal as a bargaining chip.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
??? He did. He didn't assume Newhook or Slaf will reach their potential. He didn't include Mailloux and a few other players that could easily be significant at least as 3rd or 4th liners.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
This is a good point. People and management here have gotten too used to hope as a long term strategy. I mean, you need some luck, but luck is preparation meeting opportunity and it just seems this team is either unprepared or whiffs on opportunities, or both. It's not as bad as it used to be, but there needs to be more, much more. At least, in terms of darts on the board to get a player with the potential for 100 points.
What opportunities?
2022 Draft - no potential 100 pters - Slaf is probably the only possibility if he develops into a Tage Thompson
2023 Draft - Bedard, Fantilli were the only one - I doubt Michkov reaches 90 pts
Trades - Dubois will never be a 100 pt player

Now they could have missed on a Tkachuk light in Leonard.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
??? He did. He didn't assume Newhook or Slaf will reach their potential. He didn't include Mailloux and a few other players that could easily be significant at least as 3rd or 4th liners.

He very clearly included them in the group of players who have ''already half proven'' themselves. Leaving aside the confusing term ''half proven,'' to me they're not at all proven. So yes, if Slaf, Newhook, Dach, and Reinbacher are all elite, I agree we'll be cooking with gas but lord jesus that's already a lot of ifs.

Reactions: Andrei79

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
None of my ''predictions'' are far tho. It's not exhausting.

Suzuki is 9 points away from being a 75 points centerman.

Caufield has 48 goals in 82games under MSL.

Dach scored on a 53 points, it dont feel unrealistic to see him doing 70 points season. And he did so having a huge impact.

Slafkovsky and Newhook a bit farther but its not unreasonable to see them being good top six player.

Guhle has already shown top pair quality, again, consistency remains here.

Hutson is full of promises and Reinbacher too.

I am expecting Farrell to score 30 goals here....

This being said, it is true that injury, bust or disappointment will happen. It is part of the game. But for every bust and disappointment happening, there might be also be a surprise no one has really seen coming. This variance goes both way.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
None of my ''predictions'' are far tho. It's not exhausting.

Suzuki is 9 points away from being a 75 points centerman.

Caufield has 48 goals in 82games under MSL.

Dach scored on a 53 points, it dont feel unrealistic to see him doing 70 points season. And he did so having a huge impact.

Slafkovsky and Newhook a bit farther but its not unreasonable to see them being good top six player.

Guhle has already shown top pair quality, again, consistency remains here.

Hutson is full of promises and Reinbacher too.

I am expecting Farrell to score 30 goals here....

This being said, it is true that injury, bust or disappointment will happen. It is part of the game. But for every bust and disappointment happening, there might be also be a surprise no one has really seen coming. This variance goes both way.

Let's play a game.

Take all these players not named Suzuki and Caufield and eliminate 1/3rd of them, you can choose which ones. Then, take your projections for half of the 2/3rds that remain, and adjust them downwards by about 50%, again your choice. Then, you get the keep the ceilings of the remaining third.

You still positive AF about that lineup's stanley cup chances?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Let's play a game.

Take all these players not named Suzuki and Caufield and eliminate 1/3rd of them, you can choose which ones. Then, take your projections for half of the 2/3rds that remain, and adjust them downwards by about 50%, again your choice. Then, you get the keep the ceilings of the remaining third.

You still positive AF about that lineup's stanley cup chances?
I am not positives as f*** with this line up stanley cup chances.

It needs growth and polishing, a lot.

I just think its encouraging. I think the rebuild is well on his way. We already have some great pieces. We are trending jn the absolute right direction.

Thats it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Dubois wanted to come here more than LA he could have come here. He could have waited until next summer. And yeah he could have settled for 8 years, 63M instead of 8 years 68M if that's what it came down to.

More precise way of saying it would have been: Dubois didn't exclusively want to come to Montreal, or perhaps even more accurately (need info to confirm this) Dubois didn't didn't exclusively want to come to Montreal and was happy to use Montreal as a bargaining chip.
I think the proper way of putting it:

PLD has always romanticized about playing for the Habs, but when crunch time came, and he started thinking about all the burden that comes with being a francophone on the Habs…LAK was indeed the dream scenario.

Autonomy won out over romanticizing..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad