HF Habs: Your Pre & Post 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I did this thread last year (so I think we can lock that one and keep this for the 2022-2023 season) and thought it was a lot of fun.

Post your personal Habs prospect rankings prior to the 2022 NHL Draft, then after round 7, post your new Habs prospect rankings. Update them throughout the year as we see progression.

I'll start -

1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Sean Farrell
3. Joshua Roy
4. Justin Barron
5. Jakub Dobes
6. Riley Kidney
7. Mattias Norlinder
8. Logan Mailloux
9. Jordan Harris
10. Jesse Ylonen
11. Cayden Primeau
12. Jan Mysak
13. Emil Heineman
14. Frederik Dichow
15. Jayden Struble
16. Luke Tuch
17. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
18. Blake Biondi
19. Gianni Fairbrother
20. Oliver Kapanen
21. Arber Xhekaj
22. Ty Smilanic
23. Dmitri Kostenko
24. Xavier Simoneau
25. Joe Vrbetic
26. William Trudeau
27. Joel Teasdale
28. Josh Brook
29. Lukas Vejdemo
30. Rhett Pitlick
31. Cam Hillis
32. Lucas Condotta
33. Brett Stapley (should relinquish rights soon)
34. Alexander Gordin
35. Daniil Sobolev
36. Jack Smith
37. Jack Gorniak
38. Arvid Henriksson

Jul 6, 2016
I'll do my top 12 :)

1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Joshua Roy
3. Sean Farrell
4. Logan Mailloux
5. Cayden Primeau
6. Jordan Harris
7. Riley Kidney
8. Justin Barron
9. Jakub Dobes
10. Mattias Norlinder
11. Jan Mysak
12. Jesse Ylonen
Justin Barron is way more skilled than Harris. And way early to put Mailloux that high.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Sean Farrell
3. Justin Barron
4. Cayden Primeau
5. Joshua Roy
6. Riley Kidney
7. Jordan Harris
8. Mattias Norlinder
9. Logan Mailloux
10. Jakub Dobes
11. Jesse Ylonen
12. Emil Heineman
13. Jayden Struble
14. Jan Mysak
15. Frederik Dichow
16. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
17. Luke Tuch
18. Blake Biondi
19. Gianni Fairbrother
20. Arber Xhekaj
21. Ty Smilanic
22. Josh Brook
23. William Trudeau
24. Oliver Kapanen
25. Dmitri Kostenko
26. Xavier Simoneau
27. Joel Teasdale
28. Cam Hillis
29. Rhett Pitlick
30. Daniil Sobolev
31. Joe Vrbetic
32. Lukas Vejdemo (UFA G6)
33. Lucas Condotta
34. Nate Schnarr
35. Alexander Gordin
36. Brett Stapley (rights expire August 15)
37. Jack Gorniak (rights expire August 15)
38. Jack Smith
39. Arvid Henriksson

I added Schnarr since you have Condotta in there.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I did this thread last year (so I think we can lock that one and keep this for the 2022-2023 season) and thought it was a lot of fun.

Post your personal Habs prospect rankings prior to the 2022 NHL Draft, then after round 7, post your new Habs prospect rankings. Update them throughout the year as we see progression.

I'll start -

1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Sean Farrell
3. Joshua Roy
4. Justin Barron
5. Jakub Dobes
6. Riley Kidney
7. Mattias Norlinder
8. Logan Mailloux
9. Jordan Harris
10. Jesse Ylonen
11. Cayden Primeau
12. Jan Mysak
13. Emil Heineman
14. Frederik Dichow
15. Jayden Struble
16. Luke Tuch
17. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
18. Blake Biondi
19. Gianni Fairbrother
20. Oliver Kapanen
21. Arber Xhekaj
22. Ty Smilanic
23. Dmitri Kostenko
24. Xavier Simoneau
25. Joe Vrbetic
26. William Trudeau
27. Joel Teasdale
28. Josh Brook
29. Lukas Vejdemo
30. Rhett Pitlick
31. Cam Hillis
32. Lucas Condotta
34. Alexander Gordin
35. Daniil Sobolev
36. Jack Smith
37. Jack Gorniak
38. Arvid Henriksson
I like that you have Dobes that high. I thought I was the only crazy one ranking him that high.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like that you have Dobes that high. I thought I was the only crazy one ranking him that high.

If he has another incredible season in NCAA I think the rest of the hockey world will catch up that he's an elite goalie prospect.

His numbers this year are more impressive when you watch how many odd man rushes and breakaways he faced every night.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Justin Barron is way more skilled than Harris. And way early to put Mailloux that high.
So, if im a GM and I have Cayden Primeau on my team. Then, you are another GM and I ask you to trade me Logan Mailloux for My Cayden Primeau, you gonna accept the deal? Fine. But to me, Mailloux has a better value right now imo. Cause I consider Mailloux as a futur top 4 dman and Primeau as a second goalie in the nhl

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So, if im a GM and I have Cayden Primeau on my team. Then, you are another GM and I ask you to trade me Logan Mailloux for My Cayden Primeau, you gonna accept the deal? Fine. But to me, Mailloux has a better value right now imo. Cause I consider Mailloux as a futur top 4 dman and Primeau as a second goalie in the nhl

He has Primeau (11) under Mailloux (8).

Reactions: jaffy27

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

I'll start -

1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Sean Farrell
3. Joshua Roy
4. Justin Barron
5. Jakub Dobes
6. Riley Kidney
7. Mattias Norlinder
8. Logan Mailloux
9. Jordan Harris
10. Jesse Ylonen
11. Cayden Primeau
12. Jan Mysak
13. Emil Heineman
14. Frederik Dichow
15. Jayden Struble
16. Luke Tuch
17. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
18. Blake Biondi
19. Gianni Fairbrother
20. Oliver Kapanen
21. Arber Xhekaj
22. Ty Smilanic
23. Dmitri Kostenko
24. Xavier Simoneau
25. Joe Vrbetic
26. William Trudeau
27. Joel Teasdale
28. Josh Brook
29. Lukas Vejdemo
30. Rhett Pitlick
31. Cam Hillis
32. Lucas Condotta
34. Alexander Gordin
35. Daniil Sobolev
36. Jack Smith
37. Jack Gorniak
38. Arvid Henriksson
I like your ranking, mine wouldnt be far from it. But, imo Norlinder is too high. I am offering you Norlinder, and you give me back Arber Xhekaj. Would you accept the trade?

He has Primeau (11) under Mailloux (8).
He saif he has Mailloux too high. So it means, primeau should be rank higher than mailloux? If im not mistaken. Posters Jomardill has mailloux at 4 and primeau at 5

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Oooo fun, this is my list based on progression/upside/opinion and completely ignoring risk/odds. Should be fun to look back at

Tier One (Top Line F/Top Pair D):
1. Sean Farrell

Had it not been for Harvard’s season getting cancelled bc of covid he’d have a roster spot next season. Has the pedigree and potential of an elite forward. US hockey knows this and with the Habs/US Hockey connections i’m sure the new management feels the same. He’s in a tier of his own for forwards here and no one is close.
2. Jordan Harris
He blew my low expectations out of the water in his few NHL games. His combination of skating/poise and zero puck movers aside from Wideman I feel he’ll be MSL’s pet and move up the lineup with ease. I think he’s a player that will benefit when surrounded with NHL talent. Analytic darling #3/4 is more likely but my gut can’t rule out top pair so he’s here.

Tier Two (Top 6F/Top 4D):
3. Justin Barron

Chad pickup. Confidence and poise oozing in the O-Zone and non existent in the D-Zone. I think he’s ready but I totally understand if he’s with Laval next year. PP2 quarterback.
4. Kaiden Guhle
I like what I see, intriguing stuff. I’d prefer he‘s on the big club next year surrounded with NHL talent. I don’t see Laval doing much for his offense.
5. Josh Roy
I don’t see it, i’m sorry. I think we have a product of the worst QMJHL i’ve seen in my lifetime, but I can’t ignore the progress and pedigree. Ranking him outside of this tier feels overly pessimistic.

Tier Three (Middle 6F/Bottom Pair D)
6. Jesse Ylonen

Can fix his flaws with speed. Safe bet to be regular bottom 6 forward with a positive impact.
7. Raphael Harvey Pinard
He’s worked his ass off to get to where he is and I see no reason he doesn’t get a full NHL season in his career, even if it’s not with us.
8. Riley Kidney
Long shot prospect but there’s no arguing the skill and progression. Too bad the Q stinks, we won’t know what we have here until it comes time for the AHL.

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
9. Jan Mysak

The forgotten prospect who will quietly pump out a season or two as a 12th/13th forward and makes you go “wait he actually made it?”
10. Emil Heinemen
No read on this guy besides being a worse Ylonen. HuGo likes him so he’ll get a chunk of NHL games I would think.

Tier Five (a few NHL games/below replacement NHLers)
11. Logan Mailloux

Stupid pick, fun gamble. Loved the upside but there’s just zero chance this guys catches up on lost time. CHL/AHL adjustment is hard enough. Lost cause. Gets a game because he was a 1st round pick.
12. Mathias Norlinder
Can’t help but feel like he was Bergevin’d and wrecked by concussions. Might get a cup of coffee next year but good luck. You were my chosen one before Harris.

Tier Six (I like them but it’s pure hopium):
13. Xavier Simoneau

Pure hopium because I love small point farmers from the Q. Loved the pick. Let’s hope for a nice AHL season next year.
14. Luke Tuch
I think we see a regression to the mean here, he was drafted to be a fun 4th liner anyway. Long live the Tuch Mysak Prohecy.
15. Ty Smilanic
Bought the dip? Maybe Wisconsin can fix him.
16. Josh Brook
Not ready to write him off yet. My confidence in Laval is getting a bit stronger.

Tier Seven (AHLer)
17. Arber Xhekaj

Crystal ball says he does not make the pro jump smoothly and gets swapped for an AHLer in two seasons. I’ve had a ton of fun watching him though, cool story too.
18. Gianni Fairbrother
19. Joel Teasdale

Tier Eight (Pro player in some capacity/Not Signed)
21. Oliver Kapanen
22. Blake Biondi
23. Rhett Pitlick

Tier Nine (Who?)
20. Dimitri Kostenko

This guy was a third rounder? First time i’ve read his name since the draft. Is there something here?

Tier 10 (The Trevor Timmins Memorial Graveyard)
24. Jayden Struble

He’s better than this range but he was Timmins parting gift so he has to go here. DA GREEK FREAK.
25. Jack Smith
what the f***?
26. Arvid Henriksson
Pretty sure this guy was drafted when I was a freshman in high school. I can’t believe his name is still here lmao.
27. Kieran Ruchienski
I actually feel bad for him. The first ever pity pick in the hockey history. Unborn Habs fans will stumble across this on hockeydb in 20 years and laugh.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I like your ranking, mine wouldnt be far from it. But, imo Norlinder is too high. I am offering you Norlinder, and you give me back Arber Xhekaj. Would you accept the trade?

He saif he has Mailloux too high. So it means, primeau should be rank higher than mailloux? If im not mistaken. Posters Jomardill has mailloux at 4 and primeau at 5

Not it means Mailloux should be lower than 4. It doesn't mean Primeau should be 4. WTK has Barron at 4.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Oooo fun, this is my list based on progression/upside/opinion and completely ignoring risk/odds. Should be fun to look back at

1. Sean Farrell

Had it not been for Harvard’s season getting cancelled bc of covid he’d have a roster spot next season. Has the pedigree and potential of an elite forward. US hockey knows this and with the Habs/US Hockey connections i’m sure the new management feels the same. He’s in a tier of his own for forwards here and no one is close.
2. Jordan Harris
He blew my low expectations out of the water in his few NHL games. His combination of skating/poise and zero puck movers aside from Wideman I feel he’ll be MSL’s pet and move up the lineup with ease. I think he’s a player that will benefit when surrounded with NHL talent. Analytic darling #3/4 is more likely but my gut can’t rule out top pair so he’s here.

3. Justin Barron

Chad pickup. Confidence and poise oozing in the O-Zone and non existent in the D-Zone. I think he’s ready but I totally understand if he’s with Laval next year. PP2 quarterback.
4. Kaiden Guhle
I like what I see, intriguing stuff. I’d prefer he‘s on the big club next year surrounded with NHL talent. I don’t see Laval doing much for his offense.
5. Josh Roy
I don’t see it, i’m sorry. I think we have a product of the worst QMJHL i’ve seen in my lifetime, but I can’t ignore the progress and pedigree. Ranking him outside of this tier feels overly pessimistic.

6. Jesse Ylonen

Can fix his flaws with speed. Safe bet to be regular bottom 6 forward with a positive impact.
7. Raphael Harvey Pinard
He’s worked his ass off to get to where he is and I see no reason he doesn’t get a full NHL season in his career, even if it’s not with us.
8. Riley Kidney
Long shot prospect but there’s no arguing the skill and progression. Too bad the Q stinks, we won’t know what we have here until it comes time for the AHL.

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
9. Jan Mysak

The forgotten prospect who will quietly pump out a season or two as a 12th/13th forward and makes you go “wait he actually made it?”
10. Emil Heinemen
No read on this guy besides being a worse Ylonen. HuGo likes him so he’ll get a chunk of NHL games I would think.

11. Logan Mailloux

Stupid pick, fun gamble. Loved the upside but there’s just zero chance this guys catches up on lost time. CHL/AHL adjustment is hard enough. Lost cause. Gets a game because he was a 1st round pick.
12. Mathias Norlinder
Can’t help but feel like he was Bergevin’d and wrecked by concussions. Might get a cup of coffee next year but good luck. You were my chosen one before Harris.

13. Xavier Simoneau

Pure hopium because I love small point farmers from the Q. Loved the pick. Let’s hope for a nice AHL season next year.
14. Luke Tuch
I think we see a regression to the mean here, he was drafted to be a fun 4th liner anyway. Long live the Tuch Mysak Prohecy.
15. Ty Smilanic
16. Josh Brook
Not ready to write him off yet. My confidence in Laval is getting a bit stronger.

Tier Seven (AHLer)
17. Arber Xhekaj

Crystal ball says he does not make the pro jump smoothly and gets swapped for an AHLer in two seasons. I’ve had a ton of fun watching him though, cool story too.
18. Gianni Fairbrother
19. Joel Teasdale

21. Oliver Kapanen
22. Blake Biondi
23. Rhett Pitlick

Tier Nine (Who?)
20. Dimitri Kostenko

This guy was a third rounder? First time i’ve read his name since the draft. Is there something here?

24. Jayden Struble

He’s better than this range but he was Timmins parting gift so he has to go here. DA GREEK FREAK.
25. Jack Smith
what the f***?
26. Arvid Henriksson
Pretty sure this guy was drafted when I was a freshman in high school. I can’t believe his name is still here lmao.
27. Kieran Ruchienski
I actually feel bad for him. The first ever pity pick in the hockey history. Unborn Habs fans will stumble across this on hockeydb in 20 years and laugh.

Kieran Ruchienski is not Habs property anymore.

Jul 6, 2016

1. Sean Farrell

2. Jordan Harris

3. Justin Barron

4. Kaiden Guhle
5. Josh Roy

6. Jesse Ylonen

7. Raphael Harvey Pinard
8. Riley Kidney

Tier Four (Depth NHLers)
9. Jan Mysak

10. Emil Heinemen

11. Logan Mailloux

12. Mathias Norlinder

13. Xavier Simoneau

14. Luke Tuch
15. Ty Smilanic
16. Josh Brook

Tier Seven (AHLer)
17. Arber Xhekaj

18. Gianni Fairbrother
19. Joel Teasdale

21. Oliver Kapanen
22. Blake Biondi
23. Rhett Pitlick

Tier Nine (Who?)
20. Dimitri Kostenko

24. Jayden Struble

25. Jack Smith
what the f***?
26. Arvid Henriksson
27. Kieran Ruchienski
No goalies on your list ?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I think (hope) my boy Vrbetic takes a step forward development wise because I really loved him during the camp and tall goalies are awesome.

Plus, he beat Shane Wright's team in the playoffs, not too shabby.

Here's a video courtesy of @montreal

Reactions: WinterLion

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
10. Emil Heinemen
I disagree, just with his physical play and puck posession and forecheck play i really think he can be by far better than Ylonen who's smaller and less physical.

Heineman is more like a bigger Lehkonen (not as good defensively) who will be able to play everywhere in the line up. I would love the habs to try him on a line with Caufield and Suzuki in training camp.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Sean Farrell
3. Jordan Harris
4. Justin Barron
5. Joshua Roy
6. Jakub Dobes
7. Logan Mailloux
8. Jesse Ylonen
9. Riley Kidney
10. Mattias Norlinder
11. Cayden Primeau
12. Frederik Dichow
13. Arber Xhekaj
14.Rafael Harvey-Pinard
15. Jayden Struble
16. Luke Tuch
17. Gianni Fairbrother
18. Blake Biondi
19. Jan Mysak
20. Emil Heineman

HM:
Biondi
Kapanen
Trudeau

Now that's a deep pool...

Reactions: Surfer72 and bopeep

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
I do not know enough about the prospects but will give it a try for a top ten:

1. Kaiden Guhle, NHL next year
2. Cayden Primeau, NHL next year
3. Jesse Ylonen, NHL next year
4. Justin Barron, NHL next year
5. Jordan Harris AHL and NHL next year
6. Arber Xhekaj, I hope NHL 2023
7. Logan Mailloux, I hope NHL 2024-2025
8. Sean Farrell
9. Joshua Roy
10. Riley Kidney

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I disagree, just with his physical play and puck posession and forecheck play i really think he can be by far better than Ylonen who's smaller and not physical.

Heineman is more like a bigger Lehkonen (not as good defensively) who will be able to play everywhere in the line up. I would love the habs to try him on a line with Caufield and Suzuki in training camp.

Agree with your statement. Heineman is pretty underrated.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
1.Guhle
2.Farrell
3.Barron
4.Primeau
5.Roy
6.Harris
7.Ylonen
8.Kidney
9.Mailloux
10.Dobes

Jul 6, 2016
Not much depth and lack of size with our forwards prospects. Get Wright, Gauthier, Gaucher at the next draft to beef up this group.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. Justin Barron
3. Jordan Harris
4. Sean Farrell
5. Jakub Dobes
6. Cayden Primeau
7. Joshua Roy
8. Logan Mailloux
9. Jan Mysak
10. Arber Xhekaj
11. Emil Heineman
12. Riley Kidney
13. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
14. Mattias Norlinder
15. Jesse Ylonen

Ranked by their likely contribution to the Habs e.g. being able to make it to the NHL and hold on a roster spot, even if it's as bottom 4D or mid6 forward.

Reactions: WinterLion

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
If he has another incredible season in NCAA I think the rest of the hockey world will catch up that he's an elite goalie prospect.

His numbers this year are more impressive when you watch how many odd man rushes and breakaways he faced every night.
How does he compare to Primeau in the NCAA who was also solid?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Barron
Guhle

Harris
Primeau
Xhekaj

Farrell
Mailloux
Struble
RHP