GDT: Your Ottawa Senators VS Les Canadiens de Montréal -7pm - RDS & TSN5

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not so much controversial but not based in reality

How many games did EK cost us last season because of his gaffes and because he clearly came back early from injury?

Singlehandedly, at least a couple just off the top of my head.

Keep in mind I’m talking about 60% Karlsson or whatever % we wanna give his level last season.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
How many games did EK cost us last season because of his gaffes and because he clearly came back early from injury?

Keep in mind I’m talking about 60% Karlsson or whatever % we wanna give his level last season.

Anderson and Condon gave away far more games than Karlsson or any other player did.

Reactions: Alex1234

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

What games were those off the top of your head that he single handedly lost?

So losing a guy that led the team in scoring, and played 26+ minutes a game and replacing him with a guy that wasn't qualified by an NHL team and we are better off? Even 60% Karlsson is better than 150% Demelo/Wolanin/Boro/Harper/Ceci/Wideman.

No, that just isn't based in reality, that's just looking for anything to be positive

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
That’s not really my point, but if those two play like they can I think we finish above what everyone is expecting.

I don't know if I have much faith in them to perform well behind the defense. Remember that the forwards were also terrible defensively last season too.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What games were those off the top of your head that he single handedly lost?

So losing a guy that led the team in scoring, and played 26+ minutes a game and replacing him with a guy that wasn't qualified by an NHL team and we are better off? Even 60% Karlsson is better than 150% Demelo/Wolanin/Boro/Harper/Ceci/Wideman.

No, that just isn't based in reality, that's just looking for anything to be positive

One against Tampa and one against Nashville that I remember.

I’m not saying we’re better off because of the return of the trade, I’m saying that with a fresh slate, young legs, potential rebounding goalies, and not having your injured star player playing games that he maybe shouldn’t and singlehandedly gifting goals to the other team because he’s finding his game still, we can be better than last season. EK also sucked on the PP and had gotten so predictable , let’s see what happens when the other guys are given the reigns.

67 points dude, 67 points...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It basically is though:The team planned on trading EK in February and it was blatantly obviously we would be a bottom 3-5 team without him(ie like Vancouver or Montreal). Even though Brady is a top 5 pick, none of those teams I listed would trade their 2019 1st for him because A.The 2019 draft's top 5 is really good and B.They all want a shot at winning Hughes.

It isn't for a myriad of reasons. If you give up the pick, what does that say to the players on the team? That management doesn't believe in them? That management wants to purposely sabotage the current season? What does it mean for guys like Stone, Duchene and Dzingel who are pending UFAs? It sets a very very bad precedent, and nobody would ever want to play with us. What if it backfires, and the players have an extra chip on their shoulder for the season to prove management wrong? It it really worst risking all that for something that is statistically improbable? Hell no. This is not a video game. The players are not robots. You can't just min/max things like this.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
One against Tampa and one against Nashville that I remember.

I’m not saying we’re better off because of the return of the trade, I’m saying that with a fresh slate, young legs, potential rebounding goalies, and not having your injured star player playing games that he maybe shouldn’t and singlehandedly gifting goals to the other team because he’s finding his game still, we can be better than last season.

67 points dude, 67 points...
I can name a ton more gaffes that led to goals scored, literally dozens upon dozens, by Boro and Ceci. Both these guys are going to be playing a lot more (Ceci not too much, but anymore is already awful) and making a lot more mistakes. Karlsson was literally the only guy on our backend who could break the puck out, we had 4/5 guys who were among the bottom 3% of eligible D in the league in that regard. 67 points is probably on the higher side/average of what to expect this year. 67 points was basically a worst case scenario that came to fruition last year. If worst case scenario happens with this group your looking at sub-50 points.

We will wish we had an injured Karlsson out there when we see Boro/Wolanin/Wideman/Demelo out on the ice for 20+ minutes a game against other teams superstars on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I can name a ton more gaffes that led to goals scored, literally dozens upon dozens, by Boro and Ceci. Both these guys are going to be playing a lot more (Ceci not too much, but anymore is already awful) and making a lot more mistakes. Karlsson was literally the only guy on our backend who could break the puck out, we had 4/5 guys who were among the bottom 3% of eligible D in the league in that regard. 67 points is probably on the higher side/average of what to expect this year. 67 points was basically a worst case scenario that came to fruition last year. If worst case scenario happens with this group your looking at sub-50 points.

We will wish we had an injured Karlsson out there when we see Boro/Wolanin/Wideman/Demelo out on the ice for 20+ minutes a game against other teams superstars on the 2nd pairing.

Dunno what to tell you now other than we’ll see. You say that Karlsson was the only guy that was able to break out the puck, but this season we have Chabot/Wolanin/Wideman/Ceci who can all do that. I’m expecting more than 67 points, that’s fine if you expect less it just means we have differing views.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Without comparing him to the duds about to try to fill his shoes, i also thought Karlsson was a negative contributor for the first 30-40 games. Couldnt skate well anymore, but hadnt adjusted to it like he did in the last part of the season.

Everybody that would fill his role sucked too though so im not convinced swapping him out for someone else within the org was a fix. We're just so thin on quality D, this year and last year that its pretty much a case of just not caring whos on the ice. Damned if you do damned if you dont.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Dunno what to tell you now other than we’ll see. You say that Karlsson was the only guy that was able to break out the puck, but this season we have Chabot/Wolanin/Wideman/Ceci who can all do that. I’m expecting more than 67 points, that’s fine if you expect less it just means we have differing views.
Ceci can’t break out the puck at all. Unless you’re talking about skating it out of the zone and dumping it in for a change.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I say that because it was true. Last year out of the ~278 eligible D in the NHL on breakout efficiency (going off memory), the Sens had 4 guys below 230th, literally the worst in the league. Karlsson was top 5 if I remember correctly.

There was a graph posted somewhere within the last 2 weeks on the matter but I;m not sure which thread it was posted in

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It basically is though:The team planned on trading EK in February and it was blatantly obviously we would be a bottom 3-5 team without him(ie like Vancouver or Montreal). Even though Brady is a top 5 pick, none of those teams I listed would trade their 2019 1st for him because A.The 2019 draft's top 5 is really good and B.They all want a shot at winning Hughes.

Team planned on a re-build in February, not to trade EK65 ........ otherwise he would have been dealt at the deadline. The fact that he was dealt at the beginning of train camp confirms this.

If Montreal, Vancouver or Detroit ended up selecting between 5 or higher, at the next draft ........... for sure they'd trade their first for BK ......... he'd be a year older, a year more along in his development and a known commodity.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Exactly. I like Tkachuk and was fine with using the 2018 pick, back when it seemed like we might have Karlsson until at least the trade deadline. Heathy EK and a youth infusion might’ve been able to pull us out of the bottom 5, but swapping him out for Dylan DeMelo should secure us a bottom 3 finish and I definitely now think they should’ve given up that pick.

You are severely underestimating Dylan DeMelo

Ok I’ll try this without the emoticon to catch a few fishes

Reactions: Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And the year after- we are not even close to a .500 team until 2020-2021

And that’s the worst part! I don’t think so... I think they will finish low this year when they don’t have their own 1st but the following years, they will tend more towards the middle of the standings. Again no top pick incoming.

So how do Melnyk plan to rebuild this exactly? Having a good honest hockey team? Ok great but isn’t the goal to win the Cup?

The only hope is to get homeruns at the draft like Karlsson, Alfie and Stone.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The system doesn’t lie either. If we play more aggressive those numbers can change.
System can change to anything and we still won’t make the playoffs with this garbage roster. Tierney will be our top line centre after the trade deadline.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
System can change to anything and we still won’t make the playoffs with this garbage roster. Tierney will be our top line centre after the trade deadline.
Could be; however I was surprised by Tierney's play. I think he can make a positive contribution on this team; but not top line as you suggest he might after Duchene is presumably traded. He is decent but not that good. so we are in agreement. Third line yes. Second line, doubtful but we'll see. If Duchene and Stone are traded or not signed, this team will definitely be bottom tier for several years.

jules6565

Sep 2, 2007
Montreal
Wanted to share some pics. Bobby R too quick for my iphone 8 to capture... :)

BQRbbl.jpg

poy1Oe.jpg

pC1NXU.jpg

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
TFW a Sens fan that has watched EK play on this team for years can make a case for us being better this season without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad