GDT: Your Ottawa Senators VS Les Canadiens de Montréal -7pm - RDS & TSN5

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Honestly pre season means crap. I think San Jose went 0 wins en route to a great regular season preciously?

That being said. We do in fact suck so...

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Every single game the other team has skated circles around us. Except when our top lines have been on.

Send Tkachuk to London, let him grow more and dominate. Or the AHL. He is going to be an excellent player but let him grow his body to match the game he wants to dominate with.

No chance Tkachuk isn’t with the team for 82 games. The org needs a name brand talent and they need a new asset to hedge their shot at 1st ovr 2019. Brady will be here all year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No chance Tkachuk isn’t with the team for 82 games. The org needs a name brand talent and they need a new asset to hedge their shot at 1st ovr 2019. Brady will be here all year.
Everything this organization touches turns to shit, so I’m expecting him to get rushed and ruined.

Last edited:

jules6565

Sep 2, 2007
Montreal
Guys could we trade logan brown? What's the deal here? Waited after the 1st period to post this , but man this guy just seems not into it.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm thinking White isn't going to make the team out of camp. Pretty poor showing from him thus far.

Harpur could get waived. He's been that bad.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm thinking White isn't going to make the team out of camp. Pretty poor showing from him thus far.

Harpur is hot trash. And yeah Chlapik/Formenton/Tkachuk/Brown have all been better than White.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hey, at least at this rate, we can still get the 2020 1st overall, and if Stone and Duchene leave, we'll get first overall for years to come!

The Edmottawa Oilators!

White's been invisible on the ice. He can win some faceoffs but that's about it.

At least Brown looks big out there...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If we finish dead last it can't be worse than 4th as a worst case scenario.

So yeah giving up this year's pick was a bad ****ing call.

So who is projected to be selected fourth overall next spring, and is he better than Tkachuk?

Don't forget, the first rounder that Colorado received was part of the Duchene trade, and has to be taken into account, so the " worst case scenario " should also include whether or not Duchene is still a Senator after this season.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You might have point there. But it still sucks that we dont have our first rounder for 2019.

That pick was part of the price the Sens paid for Duchene, and that makes it paramount that PD signs him to an extension ..... making the comparison between the first Colorado selects and Tkachuk with Duchene being a Senators for another 8 seasons.

Reactions: albator71

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Literally everyone and their mom knows we'll finish bottom 3 without Karlsson, and the team knew they wanted to rebuild back in February. I like Tkachuk but not keeping the 2019 pick was dumb, since at worst we draft 6th or 7th, at best we draft top 3.

I mean would Vancouver,Montreal or Detroit ever consider trading their 1st rounder for Tkachuk?

Colorado finished 30th overall in 2016-17, and then early in 2017-18 they traded away Duchene ......... so a lot of people probalby thought they were tanking, and angling for the first overall pick .......... but they finished 17th overall ...........OOPs!

No one knows where the Sens will finish this season, not your Mom, or mine.

The first round pick was part of the Duchene trade, so if they passed on this years draft, would you and others be praising Pierre Dorion for doing so, without knowing where the Sens would have selected in the Draft next spring?

I can see it now, the posts would be damming him for not selecting whomever Colorado would have in the past draft (Tkachuk or Zandina), and ending up with a pick in 2019 that might be in the teens.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
So who is projected to be selected fourth overall next spring, and is he better than Tkachuk?

Don't forget, the first rounder that Colorado received was part of the Duchene trade, and has to be taken into account, so the " worst case scenario " should also include whether or not Duchene is still a Senator after this season.

The Duchene thing is irrelevant. We are only comparing the pick we made this past summer vs next summers pick.

Again it makes zero sense to pick this past summer at 4 when we likely will only pick higher next year. And especially since there's a good shot we get top pick.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The Sens didn't play that bad most of the game. It was more a case of not shooting enough, a few breakdowns and the Mtl horseshoes.

Boucher said they would keep a few extra D around because they impressed. I'm not convinced that's the only reason. It's probably more a case of being disappointed in a few guys he had penciled in. If he ends up sitting out someone they thought had a place and instead play a guy like Lajoie (or any young forward also) because they think he is more deserving then it will go a long way into me believing they actually have bought into the rebuild.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Sens didn't play that bad most of the game. It was more a case of not shooting enough, a few breakdowns and the Mtl horseshoes.

Boucher said they would keep a few extra D around because they impressed. I'm not convinced that's the only reason. It's probably more a case of being disappointed in a few guys he had penciled in. If he ends up sitting out someone they thought had a place and instead play a guy like Lajoie (or any young fotrward also) because they think he is more deserving then it will go a long way into me believing they actually have bought into the rebuild.

I've liked what I saw from Wolanin and Lajoie. Harpur seems to have lost his mojo, and Jaros needs a bit more seasoning imo. If I were making my D pairings exclusively on what I saw this pre-season, I'd probably go like this:

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Wideman
Lajoie-DeMelo

Nobody on the right side really impressed. Ceci hesitates with the puck on his stick, Wideman was just ok, and DeMelo didn't really show me much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Duchene thing is irrelevant. We are only comparing the pick we made this past summer vs next summers pick.

Again it makes zero sense to pick this past summer at 4 when we likely will only pick higher next year. And especially since there's a good shot we get top pick.

We won't likely only pick higher, we will likely pick the same if we finish dead last, which is far from certain even when we look this terrible (some other team always manages to be far worse then expected).

The big thing is next year's draft is expected to be stronger. I think you've currently got guys projecting as good as Tkachuk or Zadina as deep as 10th or so, but a lot can change, it's a risky move to keep next years pick and give up a sure thing in 4th OA, but even if you lose the bet and end up with a worse player, the downgrade isn't insurmountable. On the flip side, if you win one of those top 3 picks in the lottery, you've got a potential franchise guy instead of a very good top 6 player.

I was on record as saying we should have gone with giving Colorado the 2018 pick if we were intent on trading Karlsson for a futures package. time will tell what the right move is, but it's worth considering that there's more to the decision than just the on ice impact; giving up the pick sends a lousy message to the guys you're trying to re-sign in Stone and Duchene. It also would have been a nightmare for season ticket renewals (guess that one didn't end up mattering, but at the time they probably needed to consider it).

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I've liked what I saw from Wolanin and Lajoie. Harpur seems to have lost his mojo, and Jaros needs a bit more seasoning imo. If I were making my D pairings exclusively on what I saw this pre-season, I'd probably go like this:

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Wideman
Lajoie-DeMelo

Nobody on the right side really impressed. Ceci hesitates with the puck on his stick, Wideman was just ok, and DeMelo didn't really show me much.

What bothered me with DeMelo is that in physical battles he got bounced around and pushed off the puck pretty easily. It's hard to judge his overall game with so many guys to keep an eye on. Let's hope he's better than that because they are very thin at right side D and crossing guys over hasn't worked for them. I'm not sold on Jaros yet as an alternative. He had some good shifts but quite a few Harpur moments too. I haven't given up on Harpur but he might be heading into 7th D territory.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013

Define "likely". We finished 30th in 2018 but picked fourth. Buffalo's odds of picking first were only 5% better than ours. Colorado finished last in 2017 but picked fourth. It's a weighted lottery, there's no guarantee.

Can you say for certain Tkachuk is worse than someone you might draft in the top four next year? Also, at the time of the draft I think it's safe to assume there was still a chance Karlsson would be on the team, are you comfortable betting on a last or near last place finish with him there?

Don't get me wrong, we could finish last, watch Colorado draft a superstar, and moan about the choice for a decade. However, at the time of the draft I'm not convinced the decision made zero sense with the information available.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad