Your opinion on Yamamoto

Your opinion on Yamamoto

• Total voters

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
2nd line potential. Will take 2 or 3 more years to get there probably, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Bust. He does not have the physical skills to compensate for the size. I also question his mental toughness as he has a few times been sent down or back to junior and looked awful after getting demoted rather than turning it up a notch.

Reactions: dawunderboy

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not high on Yamamoto at all. Admittedly I dont follow junior hockey and I only saw three or four Bakersfield games this season, so my opinion is mostly based on the pre season and regular season NHL games I saw him play. He didn’t look like much to me. I think it’s extremely unlikely that he is any help to the Oilers next season.

You've barely seen the guy play. Not the best to throw out a judgement of a player like that lol

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Guess we’re in the minority but I don’t see much in him either. Too small and just not effective. The OP is impressed with 18 points in 27 games in Bakersfield but that seems a little low for me for a guy that doesn’t seem to bring much other than offence. First year as a full-time pro so I guess he should get some leeway. Next year he should be under the microscope a lot more. I just don’t see him having that high of a ceiling.

What? It's his first pro season and he's 19 years old. Did you expect him to tear the league apart?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Bust. He does not have the physical skills to compensate for the size. I also question his mental toughness as he has a few times been sent down or back to junior and looked awful after getting demoted rather than turning it up a notch.

Looked awful according to hive mind looking at stats.

Reactions: frag2

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry but I’m not high on Yam or Jesse! If either were traded for a good young-ish winger with term then I’d be okay with that.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He's a bust. Too slow and untalented to be an impact player. To succeed at that size you need to have all star level skill like Johnny Gaudreau.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You've barely seen the guy play. Not the best to throw out a judgement of a player like that lol
OP specifically asks for opinions on a player and you're here to bust peoples chops for giving it.

I think the poll is misleading. I picked bust because its the closest answer. There was no "should never have wasted a first round pick" option.

Regardless of what people think about small talent, and the propensity of such players to be of value in the NHL you don't waste a FIRST pick on the extreme outlier chance that the smallest player found in the NHL might be something.

As I stated elsewhere a lot of teams will just add somebody immediately available like a Gagner, instead of going on the unlikely chance that Yama makes it at this level.

To me Yama is a less skilled, runt sized version of Ty Rattie. Yama is outlier small and he's not got elite talent or elite speed or elite puck handling ability. He looks completely lost and invisible at this level, any time in regular season, and a team is essentially short handed with him out on the ice.

Reactions: Patch101

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
OP specifically asks for opinions on a player and you're here to bust peoples chops for giving it.

I think the poll is misleading. I picked bust because its the closest answer. There was no "should never have wasted a first round pick" option.

Regardless of what people think about small talent, and the propensity of such players to be of value in the NHL you don't waste a FIRST pick on the extreme outlier chance that they might be something.

As I stated elsewhere a lot of teams will just add somebody immediately available like a Gagner, instead of going on the unlikely chance that Yama makes it at this level.

To me Yama is a less skilled, runt sized version of Ty Rattie.
Did Yamamoto hit on your daughter?

Like your absolute hate for this player from the moment he was drafted is kind of disgusting. Like not even the fact you dislike him, but some of the things you say about him...you should be ashamed.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can't believe some of you on here LOL. After one pro season, he's a bust? He has no outstanding quality? I honestly don't think some of you have even watched him play. Gosh this board is so depressing and dreary now

I've seen him play tons and he doesn't have an outstanding quality. That's why it's hard to envision him being much of an impact player at the NHL level because at that size, it's imperative to have a high end skill. I just don't see any skill that really stands out.

I do think he has a pretty high floor though so I could see him succeeding even in a 3rd line role because he plays bigger than his size and has a high motor. I just don't see a lot of upside. He plays like Gallagher but in a much smaller frame.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We need to look at what the rest of his draft year have done in the NHL so far, and it isn't much. By next season more 2017s will be starting to make their mark in the pro ranks. They have older players ahead of him in the AHL so he hasn't been given the maximum opportunity as a first year guy. Obviously I would prefer if he had done more by now, but I think next year is the must watch season for him. Bigger minutes and a year stronger should play out a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I can't believe some of you on here LOL. After one pro season, he's a bust? He has no outstanding quality? I honestly don't think some of you have even watched him play. Gosh this board is so depressing and dreary now

Feel free to refute these statements with actual data and or counter arguments. What does he do so well he can be considered top end? What kind of stats or level of play has he achieved to make a person sit up and take notice?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've seen him play tons and he doesn't have an outstanding quality. That's why it's hard to envision him being much of an impact player at the NHL level because at that size, it's imperative to have a high end skill. I just don't see any skill that really stands out.

I do think he has a pretty high floor though so I could see him succeeding even in a 3rd line role because he plays bigger than his size and has a high motor. I just don't see a lot of upside. He plays like Gallagher but in a much smaller frame.
He was never going to be an impact player, most drafted in the second half of the first usually don't. He has a good chance to be a solid middle 6 winger though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What? It's his first pro season and he's 19 years old. Did you expect him to tear the league apart?
Like I said, I acknowledge his age and that it was his first full year of pro. I’ll hold off another year before I call him a bust. We’ve had other offensive players though that left junior and were point per game down there though. Eberle quickly comes to mind. I just didn’t think he showed anything up here and 18 points down there doesn’t jump out at me for a guy that doesn’t bring much of anything else. I hope I’m wrong about him because we’re going to need our first round picks working out here. Next year he has to take a bigger step.

Reactions: KYams17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad