Your opinion on Yamamoto

Your opinion on Yamamoto

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Run Eberle out of town for having his worst year here as a 20-30 guy.
Happily project yamo to be a 20 -20 guy and will be over joyed if he gets there.
Hmmmm

The same rationale even applies with Gagner for a fraction of the price. Lets see, a seasoned consummate pro like Gagner who does whatever he;s asked, never complains, can still put up a 40pt year and is a bit tougher now in his vet years in prime of life.

I'd rather have Gagner than Yama any time and no real risk. You know what level of player you have with Sam and he can actually play in the NHL despite being buried this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The same rationale even applies with Gagner for a fraction of the price. Lets see, a seasoned consummate pro like Gagner who does whatever he;s asked, never complains, can still put up a 40pt year and is a bit tougher now in his vet years in prime of life.

I'd rather have Gagner than Yama any time and no real risk. You know what level of player you have with Sam and he can actually play in the NHL despite being buried this season.
The thing about having a guy like Gagner here now is it pushes a guy like Yamamoto off the team. Kids shouldn’t be gifted spots in the first place. They should be beating vets out of jobs to earn their spots. That’s always been important but even more so now with what second contracts are costing. Gagner does give more right now and at a fixed cost too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing about having a guy like Gagner here now is it pushes a guy like Yamamoto off the team. Kids shouldn’t be gifted spots in the first place. They should be beating vets out of jobs to earn their spots. That’s always been important but even more so now with what second contracts are costing. Gagner does give more right now and at a fixed cost too.

Pretty much exactly. Most teams run a finite amount of prospects in the lineup and a lot of quality established vets to lead them. Teams like Vegas show just how much veteran leadership and roster counts. Its like the NHL forgot that.

Its also quickly becoming a myth, again this playoffs, that pint sized youth skill can beat strong veteran quality players. I'll take the vet loaded team almost anytime.

Reactions: rboomercat90

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Speedy winger who can generate chances but has trouble putting his chances away. I don't see him being a top line winger, that would be putting too much pressure on him. If his defensive game can be half decent he could be like modern day Todd Marchant. Act like a defensive shadow when we need him to be, but can chip in just enough offensively that he can float up n down lines 2-4 as needed.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I definitely think he can be a strong middle six winger. He does need to work on adding some zip to his shot and work on his skating a little bit. He can draw penalties and he's a feisty one, but I'm cheering for him.

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think there is ability there but he needs some time to get used to the professional game. He needs to figure out how to play when he has less time than he did in juniors. He's a guy that was always going to need some time in the AHL.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Speedy winger who can generate chances but has trouble putting his chances away. I don't see him being a top line winger, that would be putting too much pressure on him. If his defensive game can be half decent he could be like modern day Todd Marchant. Act like a defensive shadow when we need him to be, but can chip in just enough offensively that he can float up n down lines 2-4 as needed.
Yeah a Todd Marchant is good defensivly... just saying

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018

Marchant was fast as lightning, though. So was (is) Cogliano. Yamo is not.

Tough to be a defensive forward in this league without having either speed or size. Call it the Anton Lander effect.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The Leafs leapfrogged the Oilers in their rebuild using AHL development. Nylander 100gms in the AHL and Kapanen and Johnsson 150gms. It is not a fail if a player doesn't go straight from Junior to the NHL, we are just used to seeing the Oil try to do it with every high end prospect. There should be no panic to promote a player who hasn't outgrown the AHL yet. The forwards I am looking at for the big club next season are Benson and Marody and only if they earn it with a big camp. You can't overcook a guy with a second year in the AHL.

Hairy Apparatus

Mar 6, 2018
Pretty much exactly. Most teams run a finite amount of prospects in the lineup and a lot of quality established vets to lead them. Teams like Vegas show just how much veteran leadership and roster counts. Its like the NHL forgot that.

Its also quickly becoming a myth, again this playoffs, that pint sized youth skill can beat strong veteran quality players. I'll take the vet loaded team almost anytime.
You're wrong. Penguins and islanders are a clear indicator that youth can beat strong vets.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You're wrong. Penguins and islanders are a clear indicator that youth can beat strong vets.
Islanders are one of the oldest teams in the league (28.3), and the Pens are barely older (28.5)

Bad examples of Older teams are LA, and Minny with average ages over 28.
Good Older teams over 28 are Knights, Caps, SJ and Bruins.

Oiler are the second youngest team at 25.9.

The Youngest team is CBJ at 25.8 and are on the verge of sweeping another pretty young Tampa team (26.7).

Not seeing a ton of correlation between average age, and how well teams seem to be doing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe in a few years he will push for a spot. I don't see it right now which isnt a big deal

Reactions: Cypress

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Damn, people are already saying he's a bust? He needs another year in the AHL. If he can't crack the Oilers in 2020/21 then we can start talking about him being a bust.
It's that he doesn't seem to have the tools to overcome his stature. Not a shifty/agility guy like Gaudreau, not lower body brute like MSL. Not tenacious, or strong.

I'm not really sure why we drafted him. Usually when you draft a smaller guy like that, they have an elite skillset of some kind, that you're hoping will allow them to compensate for their lack of size. He might be a mediocre player if he were bigger.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It's that he doesn't seem to have the tools to overcome his stature. Not a shifty/agility guy like Gaudreau, not lower body brute like MSL. Not tenacious, or strong.

I'm not really sure why we drafted him. Usually when you draft a smaller guy like that, they have an elite skillset of some kind, that you're hoping will allow them to compensate for their lack of size. He might be a mediocre player if he were bigger.

He is relatively shifty, has great vision, is somewhat fast, has solid hands, and a good shot. No truly outstanding categories, but is a well-rounded player.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kind of having my mind blown reading this thread. Where is all this talk coming from that Yamamoto isn't a good skater? He's fairly quick and is fairly shifty with good edges. Good hockey IQ, tenacious and not afraid to drive the net or go into the corners.

He's gotta get stronger, and learn to play around his size at the NHL level, but I'm certainly not seeing what some of you are who are writing him off.

Reactions: Llamamoto and frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Kind of having my mind blown reading this thread. Where is all this talk coming from that Yamamoto isn't a good skater? He's fairly quick and is fairly shifty with good edges. Good hockey IQ, tenacious and not afraid to drive the net or go into the corners.

He's gotta get stronger, and learn to play around his size at the NHL level, but I'm certainly not seeing what some of you are who are writing him off.

Agreed. Add to that he's a 20ish pick so it's always gonna take time. It's almost like people expect him to be top 6 immediately after draft.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He looked much better in the AHL as the season went along.

He never should have been in the NHL. Just another example of terrible development. Keep him down in the AHL next year and look at him as a 20-21 season option.

Can we remember he started this season as a 19 year old?

Make it so number 1 .

I completely agree . Just like Puljujarvi should have been left in Finland for another year or 2 . The team should have hired an english tutor for him to learn English . Once he knew English well enough he should came over a spent time in the AHL to get use to the NA game . The kid got talent but he is lost out there . I doubt by the no IQ thing . Players that has skill had enough IQ to learn those skills . I think players that bust is more a question of heart . When the going gets tough do you want to quit or do you want to push even harder .

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Make it so number 1 .

I completely agree . Just like Puljujarvi should have been left in Finland for another year or 2 . The team should have hired an english tutor for him to learn English . Once he knew English well enough he should came over a spent time in the AHL to get use to the NA game . The kid got talent but he is lost out there . I doubt by the no IQ thing . Players that has skill had enough IQ to learn those skills . I think players that bust is more a question of heart . When the going gets tough do you want to quit or do you want to push even harder .

I don't know about staying in Finland for Jesse, if so 1 year max. IMO the AHL would've been a better option for him. The problem is that Chia traded away Hall and then later Eberle without bringing in any top 6 vets so that Jesse was basically thrown to the wolves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad