Your opinion on Yamamoto

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Llamamoto, Apr 8, 2019.

?

Your opinion on Yamamoto

1. Bust

23.0%
  2. 3rd line winger

21.3%
  3. 2nd line winger

52.2%
  4. 1st line winger

1.1%
  5. Elite winger

2.2%
  1. PositiveCashFlow

PositiveCashFlow (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง Sponsor

I like him. Elite winger.

2. Ninety7

Ninety7 go oil go

Not very optimistic with him

Would love if he proved me wrong, but he’s way too small, and frankly not elite at anything to make up for it.

We’ll see.

Perfect_Drug likes this.
  3. LTIR

LTIR Registered User

Elite winger in the AHL I am afraid

4. replacement

replacement Registered User

Yamamoto took a 65 foot pass, perfectly accepted it while turned around, out skated Charlie McAvoy from the blue line in, and put an absolutely filthy goal right under the bar, far side on Halak.

How can anybody watch that and not think he has the ability? He absolutely has the ability. He literally did it. We saw his skill level, and it's undeniably NHL calibre. We've watched him strip the puck off 6'5" defencemen. We've seen him go to the net hard.

So why couldn't he do it consistently? It's not because he physically can't. The mental aspect of the game is his challenge.

booyakasha, oljimmy and Tw0Shoes like this.
  5. ColoradoCanes

ColoradoCanes Registered User

Med Student
    I like Puljujarvi more than Yamamoto. I think Jesse can work things out and become a top 6 winger, not sure I see that in Yamamoto, but I'd love to be wrong.

Perfect_Drug and Patch101 like this.
  6. Burnt Biscuits

Burnt Biscuits Registered User

I like him more than Pulju, I think he'll be a complimentary 2nd line winger, cause of his stature his development curve will likely be longer like many previous undersized success stories. People will crap on Yamo and likely give him bust status cause he probably won't be a good player till he is 23-24, which is quite a long incubation period for a forward, but when they are this small that tends to be the norm unless their puck skills and escapability are off the charts good like P. Kane or Gaudreau.

My belief in him stems from the fact that he strikes me as being a very intelligent player, he has a good knack for getting touches on the puck around the net, good enough hands that I think he can capitalize when he sneaks in tight, and seems suited to play a big role on the PK at some point. I'm projecting him as a 45 point winger who likely won't be good enough to carry the play, but will support the play well, and will be an opportunist around the net, and can play a role on both the 2nd PP unit and 2nd PK rotation. Cause of the time frame it will likely take him to find success I'd also guess we'll get one brief value contract (prove it contract) and one moderate term value contract out of him.

7. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Finally! I was waiting for a post I agreed with to quote as I read through (since I'm lazy) but there were too many extremes in here for me to really agree with. I think he's disappointed slightly this year, and I'm skeptical of the Oilers development system, but he was always going to be a project. I still see a smart player when I watch him, but I also don't really see a star, and the mental toughness aspect/need to adapt better to the pros are areas of concern. I agree that he's probably going to be a rather unremarkable (other than his size) but serviceable winger when all is said and done.

8. Delicious Pancakes

Delicious Pancakes Registered User

Grinding
    Seeing Yamamoto last year get a tonne of chances but not bury anything during his 9 game stint made me hopeful that once he was a little older and had improved his shot he could be a top 6 option. Then seeing him struggle this year in the NHL with the speed and lack of space, and also creating less, I'm concerned he won't be more than a 3rd line winger. I'm hopeful though that he'll just need a little longer to develop similar to Tyler Johnson and can eventually be a 20 goal, 55 point guy.

9. The Hound

The Hound Registered User

2nd line winger for me. I like his game and was excited when we drafted him. Draws penalties and plays much bigger than his size.

10. ohheyhemsky

ohheyhemsky Regehr DooDoo

I attacc
    20-20 or a 20-30 guy. If he's a 50 point player, we covered the spread on his draft number.

11. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Registered User

Goes and looks how many 50 point wingers we had last season, oh zero. Goes back and looks how many 40 point wingers, oh zero.

He will fit fine for at least second line if Oilers aren’t moving players during off season. Not because he isn’t good enough but because we haven’t got anything better. We need healthy JP, matured Yamamoto and still something better on the wings.

12. Cypress

Cypress Registered User

I'm not particularly high on this player at all, but I'm astounded how many seem to be expecting a 19yo late-round pick to already be an impact NHL player and calling him a bust. This guy probably won't be able to hang in the NHL until he is 22 years old.

13. Juniorhockeyguru

Juniorhockeyguru Registered User

Maybe post about him when you have seen a decent amount of games of the player. Your opinion might actually hold water then.

14. TheRebuild

TheRebuild Bold as Boognish

Remember when Draisaitl was a bust after playing his first 37 games in the NHL? Man I hope Yamamoto (currently at 26 games) is a similar bust *fingers crossed*

15. McFlash97

McFlash97 Registered User

Yamamoto might sniff Drasaitls jockstrap in his prime.

He isn't Leon and instead of getting your hopes up just let it play out with him in the minors. He might become a 35- 40 point tweener in the NHL one day.

Feisty1 likes this.
  16. harpoon

harpoon He's no Griffin Reinhart

ffs. There are a dozen people in this thread flat out saying he is a ‘bust’ and you come along to criticize me for saying I’m not that high on him? Learn to pick your battles a bit better eh Mr ‘guru’.

Drivesaitl likes this.
  17. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

For some reason its your time I guess. Not sure how multiple relatives of Yamamoto singled out your posts. Apparently we've had ma and pa here so far, maybe his brother.

Maybe they don't like your username. ;)

ps Yama is a bust for our lineup purposes. Come at me bros.

I say this because BOTH McD and Drai work much better with players that are big and that can play with some physicality and be strong on the puck. There is no room at the inn, in this configuration, for a smallest player in the entire league.

Does anybody not realize what a relief it was for Draisaitl when he stopped having to babysit this kid? What a nightmare that was. Drai was having to play shorthanded for weeks for every damn game.

ANYBODY else is better option. ANYBODY we had in the lineup.

Yama may work better in another org, maybe in EC play. He's not got what it takes to play for this team, in this division or conference.

Perfect_Drug likes this.
  18. harpoon

harpoon He's no Griffin Reinhart

:biglaugh: Yeah, I don’t get it. Among the ‘negative’ replies to the OP’s question, mine stand out as among the tamest. Yet I’m the guy being told to pipe down? I do understand that many posters (myself included) have their favourite players and find it difficult to read posts that are negative about ‘their guys’. Most posters however have the sense to wait until the posts are so odious in terms of volume and/or content before getting their jammies in a twist.

The irony is that I have lived in Japan and do a lot of business there. I’d be among the most delighted posters on the site to see a kid of Japanese heritage make it in the NHL on my favourite team. Hopefully that will be Yamamoto, but I just don’t see it.

Edit- I think it’s clear also that some fans who watch junior hockey a lot are unable to differentiate between those leagues and the NHL. For some reason it seems to escape them that much of the competition in junior hockey is just substandard, and many players good enough to be drafted never even sniff the NHL. Certainly Yamamoto wouldn’t have had any NHL games yet had he been drafted by anyone other than the desperate Oilers.

All due respect to Mr guru above, I put more stock in the opinion of a poster like @Senor Catface who has seemingly spent the time and money to watch Yamamoto in the AHL this season. And unless I’m reading him wrong, even his reports, while positive, aren’t exactly glowing. Big step to the NHL when you are as tiny as Kailer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    rboomercat90 likes this.
  19. Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug Registered User

3D Character Artist
    I would be absolutely delighted to be wrong about Yamamoto.

It's not like I'm hoping he flames out. I'd freaking love it if he became the next Jonny Gaudreau.

I just don't see anything resembling a future NHL player in his game.

20. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

Yeah, it would be cool for him to succeed due to being Japanese heritage. I'd be all for that, I just don't happen to like him as a player and how little he brings to the table, pun intended, I suppose..

21. McLotto 97

McLotto 97 Believe in 13.5%

I think Yammo will be a very good 2nd line winger 25-25-50 points but not until he gets his man strength at 21 to 23. Couple more years in the AHL

22. HarrySPlinkett

HarrySPlinkett Not a film critic

Student
    I don't see the skating, the elusiveness, or the moves for him to be a major contributor either.

A few 30 point seasons on thin teams, maybe.

But I don't see how he's an impact top-6 forward.

Aerchon and Perfect_Drug like this.
  23. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

This.

Obviously too early to say anything about how he will end up. That's the nature of development. But right now all the above is true.

Yamamoto will have to push himself very hard to be an nhl player. I generally don't buy into character issues but there have been more indication that Yamamoto thinks he is good enough to be an nhler rather than he has to work hard and get creative to become an nhler.

He needs to radically improve his game to be the player many thought he could be at the nhl level.

24. poolparty98

poolparty98 Registered User

My guess is he will play with Brodiak and Lucic to start the year. Will get zero goals by Christmas, Bobby Nicks will call him out and he will be traded by February, and finish with 20 goals on his new team.

oljimmy likes this.
  25. Beerfish

Beerfish Registered User

Run Eberle out of town for having his worst year here as a 20-30 guy.
    Happily project yamo to be a 20 -20 guy and will be over joyed if he gets there.
    Hmmmm

Messrules11 likes this.