Your opinion on Yamamoto

Your opinion on Yamamoto

• Total voters

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm really high on Yamamoto (look at my avatar + username). He started to do really well in the AHL, but is now injured. 18 points in 27 games, but started to play at a ppg in the last few playing with Benson and Marody before he got injured. He's so skilled, but will take time IMO.

I don't think his upside is as high as Pulju's, but is less likely to bust.

Reactions: KYams17

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hope that he has a similar surge in play in his sophomore pro season that we've seen from Caleb Jones this season. He really needs to improve his skating IMO

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I hope that he has a similar surge in play in his sophomore pro season that we've seen from Caleb Jones this season. He really needs to improve his skating IMO

I think it also has to do with confidence. Watching his highlights, he is so skilled. He held on to the puck and did some sick stuff with it. In the NHL, he sometimes defers to other players, playing the safe game because of nerves, and because he has been tossed up and down.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Yamo will be a good 2nd line winger IMO but i can see him along with Marody and Benson being a good 3rd line

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not high on Yamamoto at all. Admittedly I dont follow junior hockey and I only saw three or four Bakersfield games this season, so my opinion is mostly based on the pre season and regular season NHL games I saw him play. He didn’t look like much to me. I think it’s extremely unlikely that he is any help to the Oilers next season.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Not high on Yamamoto at all. Admittedly I dont follow junior hockey and I only saw three or four Bakersfield games this season, so my opinion is mostly based on the pre season and regular season NHL games I saw him play. He didn’t look like much to me. I think it’s extremely unlikely that he is any help to the Oilers next season.

You wouldn’t know much about him then, he looked completely snake bitten in the nhl.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You wouldn’t know much about him then, he looked completely snake bitten in the nhl.
Happy to be wrong. And I acknowledged limited viewings. As for ‘snake bitten’ that makes it sound like he was getting chances he couldn’t bury. From what I saw he just looked completely overwhelmed.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He looked much better in the AHL as the season went along.

He never should have been in the NHL. Just another example of terrible development. Keep him down in the AHL next year and look at him as a 20-21 season option.

Can we remember he started this season as a 19 year old?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Guess we’re in the minority but I don’t see much in him either. Too small and just not effective. The OP is impressed with 18 points in 27 games in Bakersfield but that seems a little low for me for a guy that doesn’t seem to bring much other than offence. First year as a full-time pro so I guess he should get some leeway. Next year he should be under the microscope a lot more. I just don’t see him having that high of a ceiling.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Happy to be wrong. And I acknowledged limited viewings. As for ‘snake bitten’ that makes it sound like he was getting chances he couldn’t bury. From what I saw he just looked completely overwhelmed.

Honestly I thought that’s what snake bitten meant, not unlucky lol.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Also not sold on Yamamoto.

When I see players of his height and build in the NHL, he plays a pedestrian game in comparison.
He might be adequate as a 3rd liner if he were 6" taller and 50lbs heavier.

But even a guy like Desharnais was so much shiftier and tenacious.
Gaudreau could stick-handle like McDavid at his top speed, and turn and pivot on a dime, while drawing in defenders, and creating space.
Paul Byron plays bigger than his size, and is a lot more rambunctious and energetic.

I don't see anything in Yamamoto's game that would lead me to believe he can overcome his stature.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Im optimistic this was an adjustment year for him in pro. He'll be a good 2nd liner and skilled enough to play first line with good linemates, I like the Gallagher/Johnson comparison. Considering what Eberle has done with worse skating, I'm sure he'll be working on his skating but it's not worrying, yams is too smart/skilled not to succeed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Way too early to write him off as a complete bust and I see too much of that going on but the concern for me is for a player his size, he does nothing at an elite level. Skating is fine but I would classify it as merely above average, he doesn't have great vision and his shot is ok but he rarely uses it. Players that size who succeed in the NHL usually have one high level skill to fall back on and I don't see it with Yamamoto.

What I do think will sustain him a career in the NHL is his battle level and willingness to go to the dirty areas which is where a lot of NHL goals are scored so he could be a Gallagher-lite. I don't see much upside though unfortunately but I think he's a safe bet to be an NHLer in some capacity.
I see him much differently than Pulju who is the definition of boom/bust.

Reactions: dawunderboy

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I still think of him as a top 6 forward. Probably give him another year in the AHL to adjust his game and he'll be ready for full time duty in 2020-2021.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Yeah... that's what I saw this year too. Last year in his limited 9 games he looked very promising and I would say "snake-bitten" fit. This year I think a little reality set in and confidence/assertiveness was an issue. I think he needs to play top line minutes in the AHL next year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
He needs minimum 1 more year in the AHL.

But he can defo be a good 2nd line winger capable of 25 goals and 55 points. He just needs to improve his skating and his shot so he can score from everywhere not just at the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad