Line Combos: Your Opening Night Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Krug with 2 years left has become a name thrown around among fans for trade. It'll be interesting to see how this team looks (specifically Vaak) in that Krug role on the PP.

As for that #1PP, is Vaak the guy because he's a LHD like Krug or because Boston has more confidence in him on the PP than McAvoy? I imagine it's the former, but it would be interesting if it's that latter. My biggest concern with trading Krug has always been the offensive production. While I don't think Vaak is going to be a 60 point guy, this is his chance to potentially make someone else on the left side expendable.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For **** sakes. It begins.

Well, at least it will save you the trouble of posting that Krug is too small and getting pushed around.

;):laugh:

It’s not good, but at the same time, it will give the B’s FO a look at what life will be like if they dealt Krug or let him walk after his current deal.

Big opportunity for Grizz and UV to show what they can do.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If I'm Ryan Donato I ain't finding no permanent place close to the TD Garden.

With vets locked into the 4th line, I suspect that Bjork ends up riding shotgun with Kuraly and Backes sooner rather than later. If we go 3-4 games with zero production from Donato or that line, Cassidy will make the switch pretty quick.

Better Donato in Providence than the press-box. Call up Szwarz for 13th F if you have to.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Krug with 2 years left has become a name thrown around among fans for trade. It'll be interesting to see how this team looks (specifically Vaak) in that Krug role on the PP.

As for that #1PP, is Vaak the guy because he's a LHD like Krug or because Boston has more confidence in him on the PP than McAvoy? I imagine it's the former, but it would be interesting if it's that latter. My biggest concern with trading Krug has always been the offensive production. While I don't think Vaak is going to be a 60 point guy, this is his chance to potentially make someone else on the left side expendable.

This x 1000. Will be fascinating to see how the Bruins play without him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

At this point, with Vaak's emergence, I'd try to move Krug for a second line center and push DK down to 3c as I think that would open up a lot of mismatches for the team.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I'm Ryan Donato I ain't finding no permanent place close to the TD Garden.

With vets locked into the 4th line, I suspect that Bjork ends up riding shotgun with Kuraly and Backes sooner rather than later. If we go 3-4 games with zero production from Donato or that line, Cassidy will make the switch pretty quick.

Better Donato in Providence than the press-box. Call up Szwarz for 13th F if you have to.

Kuraly slotting up still makes me angry. With all that forward depth in the organization, this is the best option they have? Not buying it. Seems like this was their plan all along, and that they never even considered anything else.

Reactions: Grimey

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I can understand why Kuraly at 3C...he's been a good soldier at center, and if he expressed a desire to move up the lineup then not surprised that BC will give him his chance to prove to the Bruins (and the league) that he's more than a 4th liner. I also expect a short leash for the tryout.

Reactions: Alicat

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Moore signing looking more and more Sweenius by the minute.

I mean with both Krug and Grz on the mend, what would that left side look like without Moore?

Chara - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Zboril - Miller

Maybe McQuaid doesn't get traded so then you'd have something like...

Chara - McAvoy
Miller/Vaak - Carlo
Vaak/Miller -McQuaid

IDK if Miller has played the LHD or not, but either way it wouldn't look pretty.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Really don't think the Kuraly experiment is going to work out at 3C, I understand why they'd try him out but hell you need at least a riley nash equivalent for depth and I dont think Kuraly's anywhere near that; Donato def has the potential to be better than Nash was.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
IDK if Miller has played the LHD or not, but either way it wouldn't look pretty.

They have used Miller on his off-side, and while it wasn't a train wreck, he is clearly better on the right than the left. Would prefer it not to come to having to do that. Do we know for sure if Grizz is not playing? He was in a maroon sweater today skating, so it may be that he can go on Wednesday. I am interested to see Vaak though.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
At this point, with Vaak's emergence, I'd try to move Krug for a second line center and push DK down to 3c as I think that would open up a lot of mismatches for the team.
This makes a lot of sense, it was starting to feel like Krug was not in the long term plans for the team, and the 3C is a position that could really use an upgrade. I would like to see how Vaak looks first but to me this seems like the route to pursue.

Reactions: TwineTickler

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Really don't think the Kuraly experiment is going to work out at 3C, I understand why they'd try him out but hell you need at least a riley nash equivalent for depth and I dont think Kuraly's anywhere near that; Donato def has the potential to be better than Nash was.

Riley Nash was a career 4C before last year. I’m happy that he was able to make himself some money, but last season, if the B’s FO put him in the 3C spot to start the year, people would have freaked out.

Cassidy has shown a willingness to change up the lines that Clode never did. I’m not getting to worked up about what the opening night roster is because it could easily change within a couple of games if it’s not working.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Riley Nash was a career 4C before last year. I’m happy that he was able to make himself some money, but last season, if the B’s FO put him in the 3C spot to start the year, people would have freaked out.

Cassidy has shown a willingness to change up the lines that Clode never did. I’m not getting to worked up about what the opening night roster is because it could easily change within a couple of games if it’s not working.

He mightve been a career 4C, but he was always a different type of player than Kuraly. And im not too worried about it either, I trust our forward core, but I dont think Kuraly fits in quite as well as Nash did and I'd like to see us try to procure a 2/3C

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He mightve been a career 4C, but he was always a different type of player than Kuraly. And im not too worried about it either, I trust our forward core, but I dont think Kuraly fits in quite as well as Nash did and I'd like to see us try to procure a 2/3C

I think people think about Nash in a different light now after what he did last year and don’t even know they are doing it. Nash and scoring role were two things that I never...ever saw until later in the year last season.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
As a fan of Cehlariks old team and him as a player i was very suprised with the news that he got sent down. From the games ive watched hes been one of if not the best player on the ice every time.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Kuraly slotting up still makes me angry. With all that forward depth in the organization, this is the best option they have? Not buying it. Seems like this was their plan all along, and that they never even considered anything else.

My take on it is it's his job by default. It's not like he had to earn it by his play in preseason.

And I think JFK was the guy they were really hoping on having a good camp and showing he could handle the role. He got the burned-year contract to get him to leave BU, and after a year in Providence, I think he was the guy coming into camp with the best shot at the job, but he didn't show enough to warrant it, considering he was cut awhile ago and before Frederic was.

The past couple weeks have unraveled the Backes not playing center mystery. It's not happening. Which mean's he wasn't even being considered for that spot. Which blows my mind considering his comments when he was signed just a little over two years ago, but it is what it is, regardless of what I think about what his value could be to this team in the middle.

Me I would of kept Frederic up and let him play the first couple games centering the 4th line, see how he does. If he plays well even on the 4th line at the NHL level, at least you have the in-game option of switching it up. And I don't want to hear "well he'd be better off in Providence" crap. We're talking a handful of games to start the year while things settle in. At least his game lends itself well to the precious "energy" role Cassidy is hell bent on having his 4th line perform.

Because as it stands right now there is no one pushing Kuraly out of that job. Wagner maybe if it doesn't work. Acciari centering the 3rd line is even worse.

Reactions: maxl7 and Silva

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Hopefully a young guy steps up, if not we are basically a one line team again. Granted that one line is very good, but don’t see much improvement to the roster this year and you don’t want to spend an arm and leg at the deadline. Sweeney has yet to make a pro trade that has worked out well. Bread and butter is drafting so don’t throw away picks.

Also Krejci and Backes will be interesting to watch. Do they regress? Krejci really is the most important player they don’t want to see regression from. Backes you hope that he doesn’t either but I got a bad feeling with him. Like Beleskey bad feeling.

So early in the season so no time to panic at all. These to me are just things to keep an eye on.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, at least it will save you the trouble of posting that Krug is too small and getting pushed around.

;):laugh:

It’s not good, but at the same time, it will give the B’s FO a look at what life will be like if they dealt Krug or let him walk after his current deal.

Big opportunity for Grizz and UV to show what they can do.
Hey, man! I'm actually one of what seems to be a few people who pick up for Krug when people are demanding him to be traded!

Last edited:

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
If the prospects they have are bottom pair and KHL quality guys who cares? Every team has those guys.
That depends on who you ask.
Look, it seems Czarnik will make the team in Calgary and even get a spot on the PP 2nd unit, so clearly he had/has value.
One might think that Cehlarik is just a plug, but maybe another team's GM just like him a lot.
If he's not in the Bs plan, I hope they're trying to trade him for whatever asset.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017

Change to what ? Obviously if any of the "prized" kids were good enough they would have made the team. So Cassidy can be willing to change all he wants. Fact is you cant make wine out of rainwater.....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Change to what ? Obviously if any of the "prized" kids were good enough they would have made the team. So Cassidy can be willing to change all he wants. Fact is you cant make wine out of rainwater.....

Give it a little bit. I'm sure they will call TFred or JFK (will play top 6 min in Providence) up if Kuraly flounders.

Guessing BC doesn't trust their two way game just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad