Tribute Your 20 game report card/evaluation of the 23-24 Toronto Maple Leafs

If you could give them a letter grade what would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Neither do I but they both demand salaries of players expected to be leaders at the very top of the league. one of them is literally the most expensive player in the league.

I want a lot more than the bullshit they’re giving rn so it would be satisfying to see Keefe lay into them though we both know it will make no meaningful difference. They have it way too easy here
Maybe the “bullshit they’re giving” is all the core has to give?

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Matthews and Marner unfortunately responsible for a subpar grade.

Current points % indicates things aren't as bad as they seem though. When those 2 go back to normal we will be very hard to beat.

Badly need a 2-way top 4 though.

Reactions: arso40

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I gave them a D+ which is a shade away from a C-, and only because I know there's some A level stuff that they're capable of.

I really hope that we're going to see an increase in their mark up to the B level by the 40 game mark. To get there I'm thinking they should be sporting 52-55 points. That would be a good jumping off point to another 105+ point season. That would end up as an A- level reg season

The M&Ms really have to wake up, put on their work boots and climb up into their leadership roles in order to make this season successful. They'll definitely need to find the kind of courage they need to win more than one round. If they can't then whoever is in the GMs chair will have to have a serious discussion with them about where they'd like to play next.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
C+

I haven't been thrilled with how we've been playing but our record is hard to argue with

Get the 1st line going and a defenseman or two gets fit were going be be dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if we go on a run

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
C+

I haven't been thrilled with how we've been playing but our record is hard to argue with

Get the 1st line going and a defenseman or two gets fit were going be be dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if we go on a run
Getting two means moving a big contract.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
B-

Slightly behind where they should be as far as points go, and the schedule gets harder later in the year.

They in an "OK" spot in the standings, but more games have been close wins than multi-goals wins like I would want.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I went with a C. They are in a playoff spot but not by very much. A couple wins and they are much more solid so that could change hopefully. I’ve been left unimpressed so far this season. The team just doesn’t seem like it’s jiving. If that makes sense.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Depends on what you’re rating them for. Right now they’re in a playoff spot but they’re worse than teams from the previous two years. It’s still early and they’re dcorps is depleted but don’t think this team will win a playoff round because their best players never rise to the occasion. So C for their play so far this season but F for building a team that is a playoff contender. That grade should be hung on Shanahan as he’s in year 10 of running the show and insisted they run it back with the same core group.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This team isn't likely to make the playoffs.

The first 20 games were loosey-goosey. As things tighten up the Leafs are falling off.

They don't have what it takes to force the play.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This team isn't likely to make the playoffs.

The first 20 games were loosey-goosey. As things tighten up the Leafs are falling off.

They don't have what it takes to force the play.
I get it, but they are fourth in the conference with games in hand. Making the playoffs won't be the issue.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I want to try Keefe a bit longer.

There's value in a new GM coming in and deciding to keep the coach. That's as unbiased as you can get. There's clearly something there and Treliving might have some plans to help Keefes vision.

That defence for instance can't be fixed over night.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
i'd probably give them a C.
Most of them are playing close to their potential points wise. Willy exceeding due to his hot start but falling back on his usual lackadaisical play now.
Sammy is struggling mightily but Woll has picked up the slack.
D have just been whatever group is able to dress so not much point in assigning a grade there.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I already gave them a D+ but there is literally no difference year to year when it comes to this team; specifically its core.

The new season smell and hockey withdrawal has worn off and I’m already finding myself less and less interested in watching these guys play every other night. Especially after the Boston game on Saturday; that one killed my enthusiasm that somehow maybe they’re different this year when presented with an opportunity to change the narrative.

Same shit, different year. Expect the same results which is disappointment and embarrassment.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I already gave them a D+ but there is literally no difference year to year when it comes to this team; specifically its core.

The new season smell and hockey withdrawal has worn off and I’m already finding myself less and less interested in watching these guys play every other night. Especially after the Boston game on Saturday; that one killed my enthusiasm that somehow maybe they’re different this year when presented with an opportunity to change the narrative.

Same shit, different year. Expect the same results which is disappointment and embarrassment.
After the Marchand incident with Liljegren I held out hope they’d want some payback. Not only did they not get retribution, they may gave fueled Marchand. He caused the turnover, scored the winner and then carried it to the next game.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
After the Marchand incident with Liljegren I held out hope they’d want some payback. Not only did they not get retribution, they may gave fueled Marchand. He caused the turnover, scored the winner and then carried it to the next game.

Yup, Boston feeds off of us.

Every time we have a chance to put them down, we give them life and momentum. 2013 and 2019 playoff runs are significant examples but Marchand just got a hat trick last night as you mentioned. We keep propelling them forward with these big game losses.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Talent, 8 /10
Team play 4/10
Team consistency 3/10
Team Spirit 3/10
Team Preparation 3/10
Coaching effectiveness 3/10
GM effectiveness 2/10
Chances of making playoffs 5/10

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Talent, 8 /10
Team play 4/10
Team consistency 3/10
Team Spirit 3/10
Team Preparation 3/10
Coaching effectiveness 3/10
GM effectiveness 2/10
Chances of making playoffs 5/10
Chance of making playoffs is literally 100%.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews and Marner unfortunately responsible for a subpar grade.

Current points % indicates things aren't as bad as they seem though. When those 2 go back to normal we will be very hard to beat.

Badly need a 2-way top 4 though.
Out PTS% in regulation hockey is below .500, that's a pretty good indication that things are exactly as bas as they seem.
C+

The only reason we're as high in the standings as we are is that we're running hot in gimmick points, but OT/shootouts are subject to massive variance and we could go cold in that department at any time.

Chance of making playoffs is literally 100%.
Really bad use of the word "literally", of course there's a chance they miss the playoffs.

I think they'll make the playoffs pretty easily but nothings guaranteed, especially if key players get injured.

Overall grade is maybe a D+ or something like that but whatever. I base most of their grade on the playoffs so the chance for redemption is there (not that I see this hapless group of individuals seizing the opportunity).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad